Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a food product/ getting into stores

Options
  • 08-03-2016 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have some great ideas of making my own food products. My job at the minute entails distributing other people's products but I feel there is a gap in the market and I could make it myself. This would be a add on to my already successful start up business.

Problem is I have no experience of making a product.
    It basically entails getting two - three ingredients from different company's and putting it together to make my own product.
    Firstly:
    Is this allowed? Like I'm not growing it myself I'm buying it in.
    Also
    Say one Ingreidents is ice-cream? Which I will buy from a company?! Is it ok for me to use this and claim to be mine as long as it's in my product?!
    Secondly
    Is it ok to make this my kitchen at the start?
    Lastly:
    Is there a simple system of bottling and sealing that anyone could fill me in on? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Look up the Dublin Food Chain. They have dozens of seminars on stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Lady lou wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I have some great ideas of making my own food products. My job at the minute entails distributing other people's products but I feel there is a gap in the market and I could make it myself. This would be a add on to my already successful start up business.

Problem is I have no experience of making a product.
    It basically entails getting two - three ingredients from different company's and putting it together to make my own product.
    Firstly:
    Is this allowed? Like I'm not growing it myself I'm buying it in.
    Also
    Say one Ingreidents is ice-cream? Which I will buy from a company?! Is it ok for me to use this and claim to be mine as long as it's in my product?!
    Secondly
    Is it ok to make this my kitchen at the start?
    Lastly:
    Is there a simple system of bottling and sealing that anyone could fill me in on? Thanks.

Jesus, there's so many holes to pick there that I'm going to start sounding like some of the more regular posters on this board :D

1. No experience in production??? Hire someone who does, or go and work for somewhere to gain the experience yourself.
    2. Of course you can but in another product, but your margins will be hammered, especially if it's not priced as a food service item with associated margins.
    3. Depending on your ingredient list will dictate what your EHO requires you to have. For example to create a meat-based product if it's a foodservice (think it as a B2B option) with raw meat means that your production kitchen will fall under the same guidelines as a slaughterhouse, no matter what size of production you're doing. It's just the way the system runs. Yes you can, under certain circumstances, run a start up from your home kitchen, but your EHO will dictate this (and virtually everything else you do)
    4. Depending on your product, there are many packaging solutions.

I could teach a 6 month full-time course on what you have done, but I would start with point 1 and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WesternJohn

Very interesting I have always wanted to work in food.
    I was living in Portugal for a while and was good friends with someone in one of the big food chains out there, there version of Dunnes I guess,

I always wanted to bring Portuguese products to Ireland and bring Irish foods to Portugal,
    Is there much of a need for Irish food companies to have a company or person to get their products into food stores abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Very interesting I have always wanted to work in food.
    I was living in Portugal for a while and was good friends with someone in one of the big food chains out there, there version of Dunnes I guess,

I always wanted to bring Portuguese products to Ireland and bring Irish foods to Portugal,
    Is there much of a need for Irish food companies to have a company or person to get their products into food stores abroad?

If you're talking 'a man from del monte' then they already have a lot of them. As for importation of produce from Portugal or Spain then good luck to you. The shipping costs are ridiculous, easily 7 or 8 times the price of the produce itself

Advertisement