Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clingy toddler, what to do??

Options
  • 08-03-2016 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

As title says my wee 15 mth old man has become incredibly clingy this last few weeks, its at the stage where as soon as he wakes he cries til he's lifted by me, cries if put down on floor, cries when I walk in a room, cries when I leave the room, needs to be lifted constantly!! Really feels like he is constantly crying all day unless I'm holding him and it really is stressing me out and making things at home much more tougher than I ever thought it would be!!

I have a 4 year old girl as well that I am feeling so guilty over as she is not getting the attention she deserves although she is very good and not making a fuss!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can help him be less clingy and needy??

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Very likely to be a phase. We're having similar at the moment. I spend a lot of the day with him in a carrier on my back. Maybe that would work for you too and allow you more time with your little girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Has he got a headcold or anything? My little ones get much clingier when they are off form, but it passes again when they get back to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

From experience and stories from other mams this is boys lol my son was soooo clingy, always crying and looking to be held! I tried to get out for coffee with friends or for a potter around the shops and it was always so stressful that I just stopped trying and became a hermit!

His first 16 months were the longest of my life and my daughter came after and was an absolute doddle! Girls are so much more independent it would seem although that comes with its own challenges too! My son got much better by 2 and I've no real advice other than hang on in there and take all the help you can get!

Is there anyone that can take your son once in a while to let you have the odd day out with your daughter for some one on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is he not feeling well? Doesn't sound like a phase to me, well not a phase any of our children went throught, except when unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Whispered wrote: »
    Very likely to be a phase. We're having similar at the moment. I spend a lot of the day with him in a carrier on my back. Maybe that would work for you too and allow you more time with your little girl.

Agree with the babywearing - have only discovered it exists on my third, who turned out to be a velcro baby ;) it's brilliant, whenever she needs to be up I pop her in a carrier or sling and am handsfree. I did find it tricky to get the hang of it and still am, but it's well worth the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Would also ask about illness. Our lad becomes super clingy when sick and he is very prone to sore throats which don't really have any other symptoms except cranky, tired and clingy. As it turns out it's usually pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

Many thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it, makes me realise that I'm not the only one who struggles at times and doubts myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

There isa developmental leap at that age. I found it pretty bad with my fella although they say the 18mth one is worse! Somekids are affectedbutthemmore than others. Could also be teething annoying him or a cold as others said. Hopefully it'll pass soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

This clinginess is common. Our little one is the same. I only have to go a few feet from her and she's going mad. Always wants up and generally doesn't leave the side. I have asked other mums and dads and this is the same with most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

greenman09 wrote: »
    This clinginess is common. Our little one is the same. I only have to go a few feet from her and she's going mad. Always wants up and generally doesn't leave the side. I have asked other mums and dads and this is the same with most.

There must be a bit of truth in the whole mummy's boys and daddy's girls thing!

My son was so clingy with me so it was a bit of a relief when my daughter came and was clingy with her daddy! I got him back on the whole "she doesn't want me she wants you" thing that he used to pull with me on our son lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement