Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1155 motherboard help

Options
  • 09-03-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all

I want to build a new PC around a i5 3550 chip I have, I can't seem to find anything only h61 moboards, ideally I'd like a z77 as id like USB3.0,

Plan was
    i5 3550
    Z or H77 board
    16gb DDR 3
    2tb WD HDD
    Intel 535 240gb SSB
    Gtx750ti
    650w psu
    Cooler master n300 case,

But it's on hold pending a useable moboard,

Anyone know where to look,

Tried Amazon/eBay/eBuyer/dabs/komplette/elara/mind factory/computer universe,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

The z68 was also compatible with that chip no?. Has USB 3.0 might expand your search.

adverts.ie One of each z77 /z68 to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The z68 was also compatible with that chip no?. Has USB 3.0 might expand your search.

adverts.ie One of each z77 /z68 to be found.

If buying secondhand, the z68 may never have had the bios updated to accommodate ivy bridge chips, which the op won't be able to do either if they don't have a sandybridge chip lying around. B75 motherboards have USB 3 (or at least the two I used had) so that's another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

h77,z77 or b75 are usually what's needed for usb 3.0 support on the 1155 socket

You could get a h61 board and usb 3.0 pci-e card
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+3+pci-e&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb+3+pci-e

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Thanks for the replies I just want a good motherboard and I'd like usb3.0 I see some h61's with USB 3.0 so I'm not sure what to do,

There seems to be nothing new out there apart from h61

I might just have to ditch the 3550 and go for a 5th i5 but I don't want to do that if possible due to added cost as I already have the 3550,

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most places only sell H61M now, new.

If you want a better chipset you should look at the 2nd hand market. I think a cheap H61M with a USB3 card like pointed out above is a good option though.

i5-3550 is still an excellent CPU.

• Advertisement

Can anyone point a out a good h61 for me please,

In stock ideally,

Thanks

Most places only sell H61M now, new.

If you want a better chipset you should look at the 2nd hand market. I think a cheap H61M with a USB3 card like pointed out above is a good option though.

i5-3550 is still an excellent CPU.

I got a Q77 on eBay so hopefully it will be Ok, looks to be new in the box,

Just waiting on all the bits to arrive now,

Advertisement