Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 3 Blood Tests

Options
  • 09-03-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Long time lurker here...

We have been trying for over a year now with no luck, so I went to see GP last Friday to ask about next step.
    He booked me in for bloods to be taken on day 7 and day 21 (7 dpo).
    I'm just wondering why he wanted the first set to be taken on day 7 and not day 3 which seems to be the norm. Has anyone else had them taken on day 7?
    I went to see him on cycle day 2 so it seems that I could have actually had them taken that day while I was there rather than taking more time off tomorrow to go back.

If it does need to be day 3, then is it better to just get the day 21 bloods taken and then wait for next cycle for the day 3 ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

If it does need to be day 3, then is it better to just get the day 21 bloods taken and then wait for next cycle for the day 3 ones?

In my opinion yes. Never heard of day 7 bloods. I would ring and suggest what you've said here, wait til cd3 next month. Is your GP possibly getting confused coz the cd21 bloods are often recommended to be taken 7 days post ovulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭umop-apisdn

Lucuma wrote: »
    Is your GP possibly getting confused coz the cd21 bloods are often recommended to be taken 7 days post ovulation?

I was wondering the same Lucuma, but he was very specific about the 2nd set of bloods needing to be 7 days after ovulation so he wasn't getting them mixed up.

I rang and spoke to the nurse and she said they would usually be taken on day 3 but she would check with the Dr. Range back and said this set were for antenatal bloods and a hormone profile, but i could wait and do them on day 3 of my next cycle. He didn't know if they would include the AMH but would request them to be included.

So the end result is that I will get my 7dpo bloods taken this cycle. Then I will get my day 3 bloods taken next cycle. I'm a bit miffed about the confusion as I could have had them done when I went in to see him last Friday (CD2), but will have to wait another month now!

Has anyone had day 3 bloods taken that didn't give a reading for AMH/FSH?

How much do they typically cost? I was charged €70 for Dr appointment and first set of bloods, then €40 for 2nd set of bloods.

He is also referring me for a pelvic ultrasound? And idea how much that will cost roughly if I go private?

I rang and spoke to the nurse and she said they would usually be taken on day 3 but she would check with the Dr. Range back and said this set were for antenatal bloods and a hormone profile, ?

yeah that's the cd3 bloods they are a hormone profile. Typically the following hormones are measured for cd3:

FSH
    LH
    Oestrogen

And also:
    TSH (thyroid)

Has anyone had day 3 bloods taken that didn't give a reading for AMH/FSH?

How much do they typically cost?

AMH is a separate test and can be taken on any day of your cycle. AMH test can be expensive, it might need to be sent to a different lab. I had to pay I think in the region of 50-100 for my AMH, can't remember the exact figure it was a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭umop-apisdn

Thanks for all the info Lucuma, you've been very helpful.

This is all quite new to me, so was getting so confused with all the different terms.

Am I right in thinking the following...
    That the hormone profile has to be done on day 3 in order to get a baseline FSH level?
    This is then used along with the LH level to give an indication if there may be issues with egg reserves and PCOS?
    Then the AMH test is a more accurate way to test for egg reserves?

I probably don't need the AMH test then if everything comes back ok on tthe initial bloods, but I think I have requested it now so will just get it done anyway.
    I have just got a date for my pelvic u/s for the 30th Mar (very impressed that the date is so soon for public) and all bloods will be done by early April, so should have a better idea of any issues by then.

Am I right in thinking the following...
    That the hormone profile has to be done on day 3 in order to get a baseline FSH level?
    Yes
    This is then used along with the LH level to give an indication if there may be issues with egg reserves and PCOS?
    Yes
    Then the AMH test is a more accurate way to test for egg reserves?
    Yes - also a high FSH needs to be confirmed with a low AMH to confirm low egg reserve

I probably don't need the AMH test then if everything comes back ok on tthe initial bloods, but I think I have requested it now so will just get it done anyway.
    Might as well get it done, hopefully it'll be over 10 pmol/l (that's what my GP said they like to see it above 10)
    I have just got a date for my pelvic u/s for the 30th Mar (very impressed that the date is so soon for public) and all bloods will be done by early April, so should have a better idea of any issues by then.

You're on the ball!

• Advertisement
Advertisement