Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are fish and chips not delivered?

Options
  • 09-03-2016 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

I was just looking at some takeways that delivered and it struck me - no one delivers fish and chips, why not though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I take it your not living on the mainland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Loads do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I was just looking at some takeways that delivered and it struck me - no one delivers fish and chips, why not though?

They all do around my way. Maybe you're just blacklisted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I used to live in Ranelagh and we got Leo Burdocks delivered all the time, the only drawback being we had to put salt and vinegar on ourselves. Lived on UCD campus and San Marino also delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Which one?

The one where you can order shoals of fish and bags of chips to be delivered to your door via Just Eat or Deliveroo. Apriles, Roma, Burdocks etc., etc.

All I see round me in Waterford are fries (as in American fries) plus something not fish - chips, burgers, sausages etc but not fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Have you ever walked 500 yrds home and found your fish/chips cold? - Condensation.

Of put them in a backpack? - Full of smells/condensation

That is why the don't deliver them.

It would stick out the bags they use for the next delivery and there would be fat dripping everywhere.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Have you ever walked 500 yrds home and found your fish/chips cold? - Condensation.

Of put them in a backpack? - Full of smells/condensation

That is why the don't deliver them.

It would stick out the bags they use for the next delivery and there would be fat dripping everywhere.

They appear to have overcome those problems here in Dublin 15 as lots of places deliver fish and chips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Zaph wrote: »
    They appear to have overcome those problems here in Dublin 15 as lots of places deliver fish and chips.

New to me! My brother did the delivery thing in his car and would carry anything but the deep fried stuff..

He did it for one night and it stunk his car out for weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Magical mystical chip shops around where I live seem to be able to deliver fish and chips (other foods too) :D Mmmm smoked cod and chips :P

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I thanked your post and then read the replies, discovered how wrong I was, and came back to unthank it. Fa la la. Nothing to see here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Decent chip shops don't deliver everywhere though. So where I live (D9) and my mother lives (Cork), the local chippers of worth don't deliver, though some are now letting you phone ahead your order.

And it does stink out your car, for at least two days, and that's only a single delivery of bringing me home chips (and no fish).

Cheers for them, horrible website - kept crashing Opera maybe that's the problem :) On the various Waterford takeaway threads fish and chips never got a mention and I'm not someone who eats bad value takeaway food by inclination so throw out the postbox flyers without looking at them

I did wonder about the odour issue if not on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Cheers for them, horrible website - kept crashing Opera maybe that's the problem :) On the various Waterford takeaway threads fish and chips never got a mention and I'm not someone who eats bad value takeaway food by inclination so throw out the postbox flyers without looking at them

I did wonder about the odour issue if not on a bike!

There's a JustEat app that works much smoother than their website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No to delivery of fish and chips, just no. Sweat.

And if you have to NO to vinegar, do your own. Wet batter is rank !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Supermacs in Thurles, Nenagh and Clonmel deliver fish and chips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I've never heard of any Chipper not delivering fish & chips ........ ever! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

prinzeugen wrote: »
    New to me! My brother did the delivery thing in his car and would carry anything but the deep fried stuff..

He did it for one night and it stunk his car out for weeks!
    Only one night? was he sacked for refusing to do his job? i.e. deliver fish?
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    I've never heard of any Chipper not delivering fish & chips ........ ever! :confused:
    I was confused too, but reading it again he was not talking about chippers. People understandably presumed he was talking about chippers, i.e. italian style serving fresh cut twice fried chips. But he then went on to say he was only looking at places that serviced "american fries", these are not chippers and these type of places often would not have fish.

So it'd be a bit like saying "why is chicken curry not delivered, all the chippers I looked at had none". Some chippers near me do have curry, but its not that common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

"american fries"

Yack....

All I see round me in Waterford are fries (as in American fries) plus something not fish - chips, burgers, sausages etc but not fish.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I was confused too, but reading it again he was not talking about chippers. People understandably presumed he was talking about chippers, i.e. italian style serving fresh cut twice fried chips. But he then went on to say he was only looking at places that serviced "american fries", these are not chippers and these type of places often would not have fish.

So it'd be a bit like saying "why is chicken curry not delivered, all the chippers I looked at had none". Some chippers near me do have curry, but its not that common.

I got the impression that he was saying "fries" were all that he could find as opposed to him only looking at places that sell "fries"?

Which is strange as Waterford has plenty of real Chippers that do deliver fish & chips .........

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got the impression that he was saying "fries" were all that he could find as opposed to him only looking at places that sell "fries"?.
    same thing in my mind, he set out to look for fish n chips and only found places which sell fries, this is what I meant saying it was all he was looking at, I guess the search method was flawed.

He did not say italian style chippers were not delivering fish & chips, which people seemed to think he was.

same thing in my mind, he set out to look for fish n chips and only found places which sell fries, this is what I meant saying it was all he was looking at, I guess the search method was flawed.

He did not say italian style chippers were not delivering fish & chips, which people seemed to think he was.

He seemed to think that Waterford didn't even have any traditional Chippers at all for some reason ......... all very strange. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only one night? was he sacked for refusing to do his job? i.e. deliver fish?

Drivers usually work as 'contractors' on a night by night basis; it would not be uncommon to do one night only for somewhere. Ex of mine probably did delivery for every takeaway in North County Dublin over a few years.

Which is strange as Waterford has plenty of real Chippers that do deliver fish & chips .........

Name one Cheers :)

Name one Cheers :)

Denny Take Away on Barracks Street.

The Marian Take Away on Upper Yellow Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Denny Take Away on Barracks Street.

The Marian Take Away on Upper Yellow Road.

Roberto's, Lismore Park

Andy's, The Glen

Ballybricken Take Away

Lombard St Take Away

Advertisement