Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 10/03/16 20.05 BT

• 09-03-2016 2:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

europa-league-draw-liverpool-and-man-united-face-each-other-in-last-16.png

In what is the first ever meeting between these two sides in Europe, in-form Liverpool will be favourites to gain an advantage in the first leg. They recorded their third successive league victory at the weekend – managing that feat for the first time this season – defying the odds with 10 men against Crystal Palace while Louis van Gaal’s side failed at West Brom.

Van Gaal has his critics but he also has a perfect record in this crunch fixture. Manchester United have come out on top in all four meetings with Liverpool under the Dutchman. Where this fixture has offered relief for his manager, European action has proven to be a godsend for Memphis, who dazzled in victory over Midtjylland last time out and is the visitors’ top scorer in continental football this season with a modest three goals – one clear of Marcus Rashford following a brace against the Danes in his only European outing for the club.

While the away side again look likely to field an inexperienced side, it seems Jürgen Klopp has found his favoured system. Roberto Firmino has been the focal point of the attack this year, scoring eight goals in eight league games to earn the second highest Premier League rating of 2016 (7.98), though Daniel Sturridge looks likely to return after being rested at Selhurst Park.

Comments

Let the games begin.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We've had our fill of luck lately against Pool I'd be shocked if we don't lose at least one of these games

Bet on 5 or 6 goals across the two games

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

"Two evenly matched teams"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Let the games begin.........
    I'll have to get the popcorn in for this thread tomorrow night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Let the Lord of chaos rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

LVG has a 5 for 5 record in the fixture but in the last match we were poxed with the fact Liverpool weren't able to score and we ran out undeserved winners.

Both teams have had a massively inconsistent season with brief flashes of excellence so it really could go anyway.

Heart says United over the two legs but head says LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

blueser wrote: »
    I'll have to get the popcorn in for this thread tomorrow night!

Just going to get " We're Shit from both sets of fans "

You will need to check post history to find out who supports who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

One week break for LFC whilst Man U have to play West Ham in the FA cup could be a major factor.

If LFC can head to Old Trafford with either a draw or a lead in hand after the first game I'd be optimistic their counter attacking style in the second leg would get them over the line but LVG does seem to have the hex on them.

Will be fascinating to see how it turns out and how much each team wants it followed quickly by the losing teams supporters saying "sure it's only the Europa League" :P

• In before the lock

• Advertisement

Could go any way. Both incredibly average teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Could go any way. Both incredibly average teams.

How can you be average and incredible at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

murpho999 wrote: »

That's what she said.

Dunno but incredibly - average is possible (I think!)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wonder at what point this thread will be locked and then reopened?

This could be an incredibly dull tie between 2 teams who are very inconsistent. I'm hoping that Liverpool can be a bit better in front of goal than the last time these sides met. I expect Liverpool to perform worse than I'd like, and utd to perform better than their fans expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Liverpool have the momentum at the moment and a manager who seems to be enabling his players rather than disabling them. That will count in their favour.

Both teams will rise to the occasion considering the rivalry and Utd have too much quality not to compete so really can't call it. I think Liverpool will deserve to go though over the two legs, and I think they'll want it that bit more and so will progress.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Dunno but incredibly - average is possible (I think!)

Maybe, just like one can be pretty ugly!

5starpool wrote: »

This could be an incredibly dull tie between 2 teams who are very inconsistent. I'm hoping that Liverpool can be a bit better in front of goal than the last time these sides met. I expect Liverpool to perform worse than I'd like, and utd to perform better than their fans expect.

Will be interesting to see as it will have to drag on for a week due to the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think these 2 games could be the games of the season.

Not often two giants from England meet in Europe but with the added spice of it being 'Pool vs Utd I thinks it's mouthwatering.

Liverpool to win it over the two legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I think these 2 games could be the games of the season.

Not often two fallen giants from England meet in Europe but with the added spice of it being 'Pool vs Utd I thinks it's mouthwatering.

Liverpool to win it over the two legs.

fyp :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Will be interesting to see as it will have to drag on for a week due to the second leg.

Not really this could be locked at 10pm on Thursday and a new on opened at 8:00pm on Paddy's day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    In before the lock
    5starpool wrote: »

Might aswell leave it open at this stage, people only have themselves to blame if they get carded/banned before k/o.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Oh it will be locked probably Friday morning, we've usually just closed match threads the day after the match.

A new thread can be made for the 2nd leg with fancy graphics and aggregate scores and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No Lucas is a loss for this type of game I think, Sturridge has clearly been kept fresh for this game but he didn't look to lively last time out and I'd happily go with Origi myself. The unholy trinity of Can, Henderson and Milner are almost certain, Hendo better be ready for this or call in sick - no room for passengers in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

No Lucas is a loss for this type of game I think
    He'll be a bigger loss in the return match on the 17th, that's where we could really do with him breaking up play.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Might aswell leave it open at this stage, people only have themselves to blame if they get carded/banned before k/o.

It will be interesting to see the tactics used for this one. I imagine some will go for the deliberate thread ban before the game so as they're spared the temptation of getting involved tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Canadel wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see the tactics used for this one. I imagine some will go for the deliberate thread ban before the game so as they're spared the temptation of getting involved tomorrow night.

Thems fightin words

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

LVG will bore Liverpool into submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It's a shame that possibly the worst Utd and Liverpool teams in decades are meeting in this unique fixture. It'll be a convenient and valid way for the losing side to dismiss the significance of it in years to come.

I think Liverpool have the advantage going into this tie. They've been a cup team for a long time now and that experience will count. Dominating a team in the league doesn't always translate to cup victories either as both clubs have discovered down the years.

It'll probably be decided on penalties at OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Korat wrote: »
    It's a shame that possibly the worst Utd and Liverpool teams in decades are meeting in this unique fixture. It'll be a convenient and valid way for the losing side to dismiss the significance of it in years to come.

I think Liverpool have the advantage going into this tie. They've been a cup team for a long time now and that experience will count. Dominating a team in the league doesn't always translate to cup victories either as both clubs have discovered down the years.

It'll probably be decided on penalties at OT.

Worst Liverpool teams in decades is harsh, i have seen a lot worse than this. Since ferguson has left liverpool have finished ahead of utd once and utd ahead of liverpool once and this season if liverpool win their game in hand the teams are equal on points so i dont think you can say utd have dominated liverpool in the league.

RobertKK wrote: »
    LVG will bore Liverpool into submission.
    The fans yes. But I expect the Liverpool players to try and overwhelm Utd with their renowned pressing game. Should be exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Would be the 5th loss in a row to United, which has never happened before, if Liverpool lose tomorrow.

I'd rather not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I know I'm putting my metaphorical prediction balls on the table just asking for them to be smashed with a mallet after full time in the match but I genuinely think Liverpool are going to cut loose and administer a severe beatdown on Utd. I'm talking a four or five goal humiliation-we might even see the old 'stop he's already dead' meme dragged out.
    Utd fans-feel free to quote this for sneering purposes after a deflected Mata shot in the 76th minute gives you a 0-1 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

niallo27 wrote: »
    Worst Liverpool teams in decades is harsh, i have seen a lot worse than this. Since ferguson has left liverpool have finished ahead of utd once and utd ahead of liverpool once and this season if liverpool win their game in hand the teams are equal on points so i dont think you can say utd have dominated liverpool in the league.

I do think this is the worst squad of Liverpool players I've ever seen. They are terrible. Their best player is a talented striker but a sick note who only plays when his hypochondria allows, the spine of the team could barely be called that and the goalkeeper makes David James look solid.

They do have one of the best coaches in the world and it's a credit to him they're competitive at all.

Utd have better players but are coached by an obstinate dinosaur that has sucked all creativity and imagination out of his squad and drilled them to play the dullest, most unattractive football ever seen from a Man Utd team. The fact he has won every game against Liverpool so far is no consolation for what has generally been a dismal time with Louis Van Gaal in charge.

Losing this tie to Liverpool might actually do Utd a favour and force him out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think LVG having the hex on Liverpool is a bit overplayed, yes he beat Rodgers 3 times but they were very fortunate to win at Anfield last time out against Klopp. Liverpool wont be that wasteful this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is there any way we can win this but still get Van Gaal sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool to win on agg

2-1 to United in OT
    3-1 or 3-0 Pool in Anfield

based on the madness and sadness that surrounds both clubs\teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

rob316 wrote: »
    I think LVG having the hex on Liverpool is a bit overplayed, yes he beat Rodgers 3 times but they were very fortunate to win at Anfield last time out against Klopp. Liverpool wont be that wasteful this time.

Is this a different Liverpool to what we have seen all season?
    The performances such as the one against City are the exception rather than the norm from what I've seen.
    If they play like that tomorrow night they may well finish the tie there and then but the following performance against Palace is the more typical Liverpool performance to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The performances such as the one against City are the exception rather than the norm from what I've seen.
    If they play like that tomorrow night they may well finish the tie there and then but the following performance against Palace is the more typical Liverpool performance to be fair.

If we perform like at Palace and get the result I'll be happy.

2-1 up going to OT is nothing to sneeze at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Dont forget the 6-0 against villa, there biggest home loss in 80 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I reckon if LVG loses this over 2 legs he is gone. As a rival fan I just can't understand why they haven't sacked him yet, the level of mismanagement at a club like United is astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Why do people keep saying Liverpool were wasteful in the last game,the only clear chance I remember is the Can one that De Gea saved with his foot, maybe the problem is you don't create much against us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Juan8 wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying Liverpool were wasteful in the last game,the only clear chance I remember is the Can one that De Gea saved with his foot, maybe the problem is you don't create much against us?

19 attempts on goal with 4 on target is wasteful enough from LFC....

Creating enough doesn't matter a whole lot if you take your chances anyway, United scored from their only attempt on target in that game for example.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Korat wrote: »
    I do think this is the worst squad of Liverpool players I've ever seen. They are terrible. Their best player is a talented striker but a sick note who only plays when his hypochondria allows, the spine of the team could barely be called that and the goalkeeper makes David James look solid.
    :)

Some of the Souness teams were worse.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If we perform like at Palace and get the result I'll be happy.

2-1 up going to OT is nothing to sneeze at.

If you perform like you did at Palace you probably won't get the result.

NukaCola wrote: »

Creating enough doesn't matter a whole lot if you take your chances anyway, United scored from their only attempt on target in that game for example.....

Liverpool have a few players that fancy a wild pop at goal, that pads the attempts stat a fair bit. I didn't feel United were under any prolonged, serious threat in that game.

• NukaCola wrote: »

10 of these were skyballs by Henderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

5-4 over the two legs, ban wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

5-4 over the two legs, ban wise.

If it's a draw does the away ban rule come into effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

amber69 wrote: »
    If it's a draw does the away ban rule come into effect.

I'll have to consult the charter and get back to you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement