Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 10/03/16 20.05 BT

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

nullzero wrote: »
    By your logic any Liverpool fan aged between 35-50 is just as much a glory hunter as a United fan aged between 20-35.
    People always want their side to be successful and to be associated with success, but your point is poorly constructed and it is reductive in the extreme.

But is the son of that 50 odd year old Liverpool supporter less of a glory hunter than a 50 odd year old United fan's son? This is when it really gets down to the brass tax. Is there hereditary glory hunting?

Is the definition of being a football fan not being a glory hunter really? Who doesn't want some glory at some point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

ricero wrote: »
    Hope uefa come down hard on the united fans tonight. Thought it was disgusting their behaviour

It was disgraceful. Choosing to sing about a tragedy rather than supporting their own team, pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It was disgraceful. Choosing to sing about a tragedy rather than supporting their own team, pathetic.

I agree it was disgraceful but I'm wondering if this is the first football match you have watched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

5starpool wrote: »
    Liverpool and Man Utd supporters are like Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. They hate each other, but they are basically the same.
    Brilliant.

The era of Manchester United as a world footballing superpower is sadly coming to an end. The money will still be there to eventually return but as I said earlier, I fancy Liverpool to get there first now in terms of purely football. Klopp will have Liverpool seriously competing for titles and trophies before a manager does likewise at Utd.

adox wrote: »
    I agree it was disgraceful but I'm wondering if this is the first football match you have watched?

No it wasn't, why do you ask? Can't recall many games where songs accusing 96 innocent fans of being murderers was so clearly audible from a large section of supporters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

BMMachine wrote: »
    not saying Liverpool fans are holier than thou, there is plenty of evidence on this thread alone to prove otherwise. Just that Irish Man Utd supporters, especially of the 20 - 35ish age group have a lot of glory hunters and thats what creates the problem. You dont like it, but its true. You could see it in school, you could see it in work, all over the place here. Im sorry that the club is associated with glory hunting, but thats the way it is and thats what creates toxic posters. I don't actually think Im allowed to bring up evidence on this thread, but there are reams of it and you know it.

and if you need clarification - what is a glory hunter? someone that wants to be associated with a winning ideal, an easy option. they want to actively be better than other people by associating themselves with what they consider 'the best'. In football, that was man utd for years and years. the same psychology leads them to troll football forums because they like the one upsmanship and the easy wins. You can deny it and dance around it all you want, doesnt stop it being absolutely correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No it wasn't, why do you ask? Can't recall many games where songs accusing 96 innocent fans of being murderers was so clearly audible from a large section of supporters!

Just Youtube it so.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

case in point :D

Rise above it.

Really you'll feel morally superior... and that will almost make you an Arsenal fan :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

not saying Liverpool fans are holier than thou, there is plenty of evidence on this thread alone to prove otherwise. Just that Irish Man Utd supporters, especially of the 20 - 35ish age group have a lot of glory hunters and thats what creates the problem. You dont like it, but its true. You could see it in school, you could see it in work, all over the place here. Im sorry that the club is associated with glory hunting, but thats the way it is and thats what creates toxic posters. I don't actually think Im allowed to bring up evidence on this thread, but there are reams of it and you know it.

and if you need clarification - what is a glory hunter? someone that wants to be associated with a winning ideal, an easy option. they want to actively be better than other people by associating themselves with what they consider 'the best'. In football, that was man utd for years and years. the same psychology leads them to troll football forums because they like the one upsmanship and the easy wins. You can deny it and dance around it all you want, doesnt stop it being absolutely correct

Please, a lot of liverpool fans were born form their glory days in the 80's. That then spread to their kids/friends etc. Arsenal fans are the same, as are any other fans that do not have a direct affiliation to the club. You chose the club for whatever reason, the club didn't choose you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There was the 2012 FA Cup semi-final when a section of Chelsea fans could be heard chanting "murderers" during the minutes silence for the Anniversary of Hillsborough. They cut the silence short, if I remember correctly. Liverpool didn't even feature in that match!

People who sing songs about Heysel or Hillsborough or Munich, for that matter, are morons. Every team has a proportion of them in it's support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Arghus wrote: »
    There was the 2012 FA Cup semi-final when a section of Chelsea fans could be heard chanting "murderers" during the minutes silence for the Anniversary of Hillsborough. They cut the silence short, if I remember correctly. Liverpool didn't even feature in that match!

People who sing songs about Heysel or Hillsborough or Munich, for that matter, are morons. Every team has a proportion of them in it's support.
    If Chelsea are setting the bar for your levels of moral decency, then you are pretty fvuked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Eh? The "murderers" taunt has nothing to do with Hillsborough. It's to do with the 39 fans killed at Heysel. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

blueser wrote: »
    Eh? The "murderers" taunt has nothing to do with Hillsborough. It's to do with the 39 fans killed at Heysel. Or am I missing something?

It's partly about Hillsborough.

But mainly it's about how stupid, sad and pathetic those singing it really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's with the arguments lads. Liverpool won the game and Man U fans got to glorify in the deaths of others. We've all got what we wanted from the match.

News talk mentioned the Hillsborough chanting this morning. Glad it's making headlines. Can't hide behind the "it was only the minority". It was very audible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    News talk mentioned the Hillsborough chanting this morning. Glad it's making headlines. Can't hide behind the "it was only the minority". It was very audible

Yes, well lets hope its the start of all those sort of chants being highlighted by whichever teams supporters are chanting them as they are all vile.

I hope people on here are consistent with their outrage though.

adox wrote: »
    Yes, well lets hope its the start of all those sort of chants being highlighted by whichever teams supporters are chanting them as they are all vile.

I hope people on here are consistent with their outrage though.

Absolutely.

Any chanting glorifying this stuff is disgusting. From any team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

monkey9 wrote: »
    What's with the arguments lads. Liverpool won the game and Man U fans got to glorify in the deaths of others. We've all got what we wanted from the match.

Yes, because that's what United fans really want, to revel in the deaths of innocent people.

It's actually why the club was started dontcha know.

• Advertisement

Yes, because that's what United fans really want, to revel in the deaths of innocent people.

It's actually why the club was started dontcha know.

It's what those fans were doing last night and they're embarrassment to their club. An absolute bunch of arseholes.

And the same goes to any set of fans who sing that sort of tripe, even Liverpool fans who sing about Munich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's what those fans were doing last night and they're embarrassment to their club. An absolute bunch of arseholes.

And the same goes to any set of fans who sing that sort of tripe, even Liverpool fans who sing about Munich.

I couldn't agree more, its despicable behaviour, any sane thinking person would say the same.

However it's a small section of fans so for you to say Man United fans got what we wanted is highly disrespectful to the majority of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A hefty fine and the return leg played behind closed doors is usually the way Uefa deals with such matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well when the chant was "the S*n was right you are murderers" it is a dig at Hillsborough.

Bit like City fans last week after the 3rd went in who started the always the victims it's never your fault chant, it was quickly drowned out by where is your Euorpens cups and we won it 5 times in Istanbul

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Well back to the football. Fair to say utd really missed rooney last night. His half time team talks are supposed to be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

As a united fan the whole night was terrible, outplayed by a good but not great Liverpool team, imagine what Barcelona would have done to us. As for the morons singing about Hillsborough coming from someone who was watching football in the 70's and 80's, it should be highlighted, there is no room for it in the modern game, we are becoming a laughing stock on or off the field.

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree more, its despicable behaviour, any sane thinking person would say the same.

However it's a small section of fans so for you to say Man United fans got what we wanted is highly disrespectful to the majority of us.

Yeah that's fair enough. I was more referring to the actual fans at the game, the majority of whom were singing those songs.

They are an embarrassment to their club. Man U are in the headlines today for that stuff and the club should seriously look at finding those fans and banning them.

Eh? "The Sun was right, you're murderers" Clearly to do with Hillsborough, so yes you are missing something! Check the facts before marching in with your patronising tone next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ahh lads it works both ways of course it's wrong and fans should be getting lifetime banned for it but noway should Liverpool fans be thinking it's just united fans that do wrong. Both of their away fans have a bad name when both teams are playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A hefty fine and the return leg played behind closed doors is usually the way Uefa deals with such matters

A 3-0 walkover would be better! :pac:

Obviously having kept a clean sheet, next week is all about whether Liverpool can score just one lousy goal and so require Utd to bang in four as a draw would be in Liverpool's favour.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ahh lads it works both ways of course it's wrong and fans should be getting lifetime banned for it but noway should Liverpool fans be thinking it's just united fans that do wrong. Both of their away fans have a bad name when both teams are playing.

Absolutely. There's Liverpool fans who sing Munich songs and they're absolute clowns as well. It's just that that singing happened last night which is why it's been talked about and all they're doing is bringing negative press upon their club.

• Advertisement

Well when the chant was "the S*n was right you are murderers" it is a dig at Hillsborough.

Bit like City fans last week after the 3rd went in who started the always the victims it's never your fault chant, it was quickly drowned out by where is your Euorpens cups and we won it 5 times in Istanbul
    Fair point re. the reference to The Sun. By the way, if the mention of City fans mocking the Liverpool fans is a dig at me, you're wasting your breath. I condemn those sort of chants/songs, no matter who's fans are behind it. Every club has it's share of tw@s "following" them, City are no different. Neither are United, Liverpool, Leeds or any other club. They're pondlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

They could waive the Fellaini ban maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If the mention of City fans is a dig at me, you're wasting your breath. I condemn those sort of chants/songs, no matter who's fans are behind it. Every club has it's share of tw@s "following" them, City are no different.

No dig at anybody, it is more how fans can react to certain chants by rivial fan's.

Eh? "The Sun was right, you're murderers" Clearly to do with Hillsborough, so yes you are missing something! Check the facts before marching in with your patronising tone next time!
    Check my reply to CitytillIdie. Apologies if you took my comments to be patronising, they weren't posted with that intention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement