Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cairns or Darwin?

Options
  • 09-03-2016 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I have job offers for both Cairns and Darwin, offering similar salary package + bonuses. Darwin is however offering sponsorship and an 18 month contract. I've just started a working holiday in Oz and have only been here 5 weeks.
    Anyone living in Darwin or Cairns able to give me their thoughts on living in either place? Pros/cons?
    Cairns is appealing to me more at the moment but I wanna make sure I'm making the right decision. Also I'm 23 so having a young demographic where I'm going is important for making friends. I'll be going it alone!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Never been to Darwin so can't really comment. Cairns is a nice small city. Mostly a backpacker town so there'll be young demographic. Also a lot of places you can go from there e.g. Port Douglas, Great Barrier Reef and the coastal towns along the east coast. Darwin would be a bit more isolated in that regard. Both are warm and humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just been a tourist in both but would much prefer Cairns to live. Its much less isolated with more to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Have spent time in both, lived in Darwin a few months, and visited Cairns for time as a tourist. I would pick Cairns if I were to pick somewhere to settle. You'll go crazy in Darwin!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's cans! Best of luck op. Sorry no advice

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Thanks everyone! I decided on Cairns and accepted the offer :) Turns out they probably would like to sponsor me too!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

was in cairns for a week a few months ago and my sister lived there for a year or so a while back as well, she loved it. real chill place, if you like it at all you'll love it.

Advertisement