Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit my job

Options
  • 09-03-2016 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I've been working in a same place for the past 10 years. I had a small break and came back. My manager is not even qualified to be a manager but just because he is related to the owner he is the manager. I work part time. He puts my name down for shifts and doesn't even ask me can I do it. And he doesn't even ring me to tell me I'm in work, he rings me an hr before and says you are in today. My partner works full time and I have 3 kids I can't organise child care that easily. And I told him I will work when my partner is off, but there is no point of me paying someone and working at the same time.Every week there's a problem with my wage, because he 'forgets' to pay me. His side kick spends all the time on the phone and comes out of the office just to boss people. I get abuse from costumers all the time. I thought I would be happier going out of the house and not being with kids constantly but I'm miserable.
    I really want to quit and find something full time. I applied to lots of jobs, I lost count. Had one interview and that doesn't look very promising. I need to quit. I can't handle it anymore. My question is how do I go about it? And still get good references from them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I've been working in a same place for the past 10 years. I had a small break and came back. My manager is not even qualified to be a manager but just because he is related to the owner he is the manager. I work part time. He puts my name down for shifts and doesn't even ask me can I do it. And he doesn't even ring me to tell me I'm in work, he rings me an hr before and says you are in today. My partner works full time and I have 3 kids I can't organise child care that easily. And I told him I will work when my partner is off, but there is no point of me paying someone and working at the same time.Every week there's a problem with my wage, because he 'forgets' to pay me. His side kick spends all the time on the phone and comes out of the office just to boss people. I get abuse from costumers all the time. I thought I would be happier going out of the house and not being with kids constantly but I'm miserable.
    I really want to quit and find something full time. I applied to lots of jobs, I lost count. Had one interview and that doesn't look very promising. I need to quit. I can't handle it anymore. My question is how do I go about it? And still get good references from them?

You hand in your resignation giving the required notice.

To be fair there isn't a qualification in management for each industry, if you work part time then you have to be available for shifts and it is up to the employee as much as the employer to check shifts to be worked.

Seems you are very unhappy so it is time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If you can afford to, just quit. It doesn't sound like it's worth the aggravation.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

OP, you are entitled by law to 24 hours of your shifts: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

You should consult the Workplace Relations Commission about your legal rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Add your reply here.

Stay in the job and double your efforts at finding another. Just put it in your mind you will be finished soon.

sharpsuit wrote: »
    OP, you are entitled by law to 24 hours of your shifts: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

You should consult the Workplace Relations Commission about your legal rights.

It looks as if the op is also contributing to work schedule difficulties by only being available for work at times when her husband is off, does she inform her employer of her husbands shift pattern? Also, op hasn't said whether there is a written rota in operation, it doesn't read like she is there to check it every day which means that the 24hr notification may well be in place. She seems to be relying on a phone call which isn't typically the way regular part time jobs work, shifts are usually rostered a few days in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blondie1985

davo10 wrote: »
    It looks as if the op is also contributing to work schedule difficulties by only being available for work at times when her husband is off, does she inform her employer of her husbands shift pattern? Also, op hasn't said whether there is a written rota in operation, it doesn't read like she is there to check it every day which means that the 24hr notification may well be in place. She seems to be relying on a phone call which isn't typically the way regular part time jobs work, shifts are usually rostered a few days in advance.
    He does same hours every week. Before I started working we agreed I would do morning shifts and if he needs me for evening shift he needs to tell me a day before so my partner can ask someone to swap shift.
    And there is a roster but he never writes anything in it. He says he has everything in his head.
    Or he tells me to come in and I when I am in work he tells me oh sorry I forgot to tell you I don't need you today.
    Also there are 9 people working there and 5 people took holidays in July. Now he is telling me even if you get sick in July I want you to come in because I have no staff.
    I told him 2 months ago I would need one of my days off because I have a wedding to go to. He said ok. This week he has me down for that day and I told him that I informed him 2 months ago. He said he forgot and I don't really need to go to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

If you can afford to just quit first and then find a new job OP. In terms of references these days an employer will generally only confirm that you worked there for a certain period, they don't have to say anything good about you. This guy dies not sound like the sort to give anyone a glowing reference! You can always get a character reference from someone else as to your honesty however. Just tell him you're leaving and work through whatever notice is in your contract.

Sounds like a terrible job btw

He does same hours every week. Before I started working we agreed I would do morning shifts and if he needs me for evening shift he needs to tell me a day before so my partner can ask someone to swap shift.
    And there is a roster but he never writes anything in it. He says he has everything in his head.
    Or he tells me to come in and I when I am in work he tells me oh sorry I forgot to tell you I don't need you today.
    Also there are 9 people working there and 5 people took holidays in July. Now he is telling me even if you get sick in July I want you to come in because I have no staff.
    I told him 2 months ago I would need one of my days off because I have a wedding to go to. He said ok. This week he has me down for that day and I told him that I informed him 2 months ago. He said he forgot and I don't really need to go to the whole thing.

Sounds like a joke of a manager in a crap job. You can do better, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

davo10 wrote: »
    Sounds like a joke of a manager in a crap job. You can do better, move on.

I have to agree OP. If you can afford to quit then do it. Life's too short!

It's not like I don't need the money with 3 kids but I will survive.
    So do I give written notice? I never signed a contract and nobody did. People just tell him I'm quiting and that's it. But I don't want to be rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Write a letter like this:
    <<your address>>

<<today's date>>

Dear <<manager's name>>

This is to officially let you know that I am resigning from my employment with <<company name>>, effective from <<date - I'd suggest giving them 4 weeks notice, but you may choose less>>.

I have enjoyed <<find ONE nice think to say about the place>>, but am now finding that the required hours are not suitable.

I wish you every success.

Yours sincerely
    <<blondie1985>>

Hand it to him. Good luck with the job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Is your partner supportive of this decision? If so, hand in your notice and be free of passive bullying. I had to take some 40% decrease in wages but at least I got my sleep back and my wife doesn't have to visit the graveyard. She said that she'd rather have me and live in a tent than worry if I'm going to come home after work.
    Don't let bullies ruin your life.

Is your partner supportive of this decision? If so, hand in your notice and be free of passive bullying. I had to take some 40% decrease in wages but at least I got my sleep back and my wife doesn't have to visit the graveyard. She said that she'd rather have me and live in a tent than worry if I'm going to come home after work.
    Don't let bullies ruin your life.

Yes he keeps saying to me I should quit. And I keep saying to myself things will get better in work.

Write a letter like this:

Hand it to him. Good luck with the job hunt.

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Yes he keeps saying to me I should quit. And I keep saying to myself things will get better in work.

I kept saying that same thing to myself for nearly 10 years and it never did. Hand in your notice with the smile and never look back. It might be tough some time and doubt will creep in but your mental health is more important to you and your family then money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Between your unknown managers story and your story, there is a middle ground and usually that's where the truth lies in most cases. However, the manager ringing you an hour before is totally unreasonable. Check out the Workplace Relations Commision, you are to be informed 24 hours before shift start.

Thank you very much everyone. I handed in my notice on Thursday. He texted me this morning and said don't bother coming in this weekend and you don't need to give 2 weeks notice I have someone who will appreciate this job a lot more than you. Your p45 will be ready next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thank you very much everyone. I handed in my notice on Thursday. He texted me this morning and said don't bother coming in this weekend and you don't need to give 2 weeks notice I have someone who will appreciate this job a lot more than you. Your p45 will be ready next week.

I assume he's paying you in lieu of notice?

I assume he's paying you in lieu of notice?

No he is not. Apparently he doesn't have to. I will go to citizens advice on Monday and show them that text message and see what they say.
    To be honest I'm happier that he told me I don't have to come in. I'm just glad I quit finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

OP, I think that, there, vindicates your decision.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Sounds like it was personal from him. Onwards & upwards! Best of luck with the job hunt, at least you don't have to deal with that BS anymore ;-)

Sounds like it was personal from him. Onwards & upwards! Best of luck with the job hunt, at least you don't have to deal with that BS anymore ;-)

I don't know why. I never said anything bad to him or talked back or anything like that. Out of nowhere he started being rude to me. If I did something wrong I would've apologised. And I never talk to him just say hi, talk about weather or something in the papers just small talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

It could be anything, you having to check shifts with your other half, you being good at your job, you being liked, you not kissing ass or being grateful enough. Put it down to a personality clash & don't lose any sleep over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

No he is not. Apparently he doesn't have to. I will go to citizens advice on Monday and show them that text message and see what they say.
    To be honest I'm happier that he told me I don't have to come in. I'm just glad I quit finally.

Make sure you follow through and try to get your 2 weeks pay. 10 years there and not getting paid for your final 2 weeks. F*ck him. With that response, if I had other texts or e-mails like that from him, I'd think about filing a claim for harassment.

Advertisement