Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month old rolling in his sleep

Options
  • 09-03-2016 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In the past week or so our 6 month old son has started rolling onto his belly in his cot. He does this when you put him down and even while he is fast asleep. All of which means that he is awake up on ten times per night and of course is crankier during the day with the break in his sleep pattern.

He is our third child and we never experienced this with the other 2 at any stage.

Anyone have any experience of this and if the phase lasted long or what you did to overcome it or is it something you just have to get through?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Do you mean he wakes up when he rolls over? Is he restricted? My fella used to wake up if he was in one of those sleeping bags. Once we stopped using that he could roll to his hearts content and seems much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Whispered wrote: »
    Do you mean he wakes up when he rolls over? Is he restricted? My fella used to wake up if he was in one of those sleeping bags. Once we stopped using that he could roll to his hearts content and seems much more comfortable.

Yeah he wakes up crying and upset because he isn't able to roll back over himself and is effectively stuck at one side of the cot.
    He is in a sleeping bag at the mo but don't think taking it off him will free him up to roll back over.
    When he goes down first he just grabs the railings on either side of the cot and uses it to pull himself over. Ya could move him back few times but no sooner have ya done that than he is trying again! At the stage where we just lie on the bed beside the cot to ensure he falls asleep but the rolling while fast asleep is the big problem right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah he wakes up crying and upset because he isn't able to roll back over himself and is effectively stuck at one side of the cot.
    He is in a sleeping bag at the mo but don't think taking it off him will free him up to roll back over.
    When he goes down first he just grabs the railings on either side of the cot and uses it to pull himself over. Ya could move him back few times but no sooner have ya done that than he is trying again! At the stage where we just lie on the bed beside the cot to ensure he falls asleep but the rolling while fast asleep is the big problem right now.

Ditch the sleeping bag, and put him in a good warm sleepsuit. Then transfer him to a bed, with guard rails. He can roll about all night long then.

We have three children and none of them have ever slept in a cot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah ok I get you. Must be so frustrating for the little things to get stuck like that. If it's any consolation, once they can roll one way I reckon they will figure out the way back shortly after. Maybe loads of practise during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

Yes I agree with Whispered, lots of tummy time during the day will help him build up the muscles to be able to roll back over? I remember the first few times my little one started rolling in her sleep, we spent ages panicking and rolling her back, but they when she was able to go both ways we left her at it. Now nearly two and she loves sleeping on her belly, I don't get it, to me sleeping on your belly has to be the most uncomfortable thing ever.

On a side note, I see the logic of taking the gro bag off, but god I love them gro bags and they're great for stopping them climbing out of the cot when they get bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I remember that learning to roll in the middle of the night craic, he'll get the hang of it. As poster above said, lots of tummy time during day and encouraging him to roll.

Love sleeping bags. My guy was in one til we took the side off the cot when he was a few months off 3 yrs old. Leave him in it for as long as it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

There are things you can get to stop them rolling onto their tummies. We used the ''sleepyhead'' pillow/cocoon (you can buy online, it's expensive) it keeps them on their back so they can't roll. It did the trick for us. I always think anything related to them sleeping is worth any money!! When they sleep, you sleep. When you sleep, you can cope! That's my take on it anyway.

There are also pillows you can get that do the same thing, which would be cheaper. I don't know the name of the pillow sorry, some kind of wedge?

Advertisement