Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling alone to australia

Options
  • 09-03-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've posted a thread in the travel forum about going travelling to Australia on my own, but haven't been getting any response so I said I might post it here instead.
    Basically I'm 25 single male, have no real commitments and I've been working since I was 17,have plenty of money put away, just become a bit bored with life here and lacking in motivation, so I'm thinking of taking the plunge and heading to Australia for a whv for a year, maybe 2 if I get on well, also hope to go to NZ and Asia after aus.
    More than likely will be travelling alone.
    I'm a qualified hgv mechanic, also have worked as a welder, pipe fitter and a few other jobs so plenty of hands on experience.
    I'd be fairly outgoing and open minded, but by no means the life and soul of the party, easygoing and level headed.
    A couple of questions for people who have done, or are doing something similar:
    How much is the initial cost to get to aus?
    (visa, flights, insurance etc.)
    Would you recommend seeing a bit of aus first or trying to find work right away?
    How have you found travelling alone, honestly? Safe? Lonely?, exciting? Best thing ever?
    Have many more questions and if anyone has any other advice to add please do
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

cjmc11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I've posted a thread in the travel forum about going travelling to Australia on my own, but haven't been getting any response so I said I might post it here instead.
    Basically I'm 25 single male, have no real commitments and I've been working since I was 17,have plenty of money put away, just become a bit bored with life here and lacking in motivation, so I'm thinking of taking the plunge and heading to Australia for a whv for a year, maybe 2 if I get on well, also hope to go to NZ and Asia after aus.
    More than likely will be travelling alone.
    I'm a qualified hgv mechanic, also have worked as a welder, pipe fitter and a few other jobs so plenty of hands on experience.
    I'd be fairly outgoing and open minded, but by no means the life and soul of the party, easygoing and level headed.
    A couple of questions for people who have done, or are doing something similar:
    How much is the initial cost to get to aus?
    Would you recommend seeing a bit of aus first or trying to find work right away?
    How have you found travelling alone, honestly? Safe? Lonely?, exciting? Best thing ever?
    Have many more questions and if anyone has any other advice to add please do
    Cheers

Based on travelling to Oz 12 years ago and staying for 2 years:

How much is the initial cost to get to aus? I'd hazard a guess at approx €1,500 now. Thats €1100 for flights €100 for Visas and €300 for insurance.

Would you recommend seeing a bit of aus first or trying to find work right away? I'd be of the opinion to travel first to make sure that you do see some of it. When I was there people either blew there money partying at at the start or just got comfortable where they were and spent 12 Months in the one spot.

How have you found travelling alone, honestly? Safe? Yes Lonely? Yes but not all the time. exciting? Hell Yes! Best thing ever? Yes, the freedom it gives is the best part. You dont have to answer to anyone and can make decisions on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Cheers SJ for the reply
    Have no intention of staying in one spot for too long or partying all the time, sure I could do both of them things here at home!ðŸ˜႒
    Basic plan that's in my head would be to go to aus and travel towards a regional area for about 3 months from one of the bigger cities then if I'm liking the place, do the 3 months regional work to secure the second year whv, instead of leaving it late and rushing to get the 3 months in.
    Not going out there to make my fortune or anything, just to make enough to keep moving and then towards the end try and save up a bit for NZ and Asia, as said tho is all in my head at the moment, so if anyone has any comment on the feasibility of that plan please shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Did it. Was great. I found people open up & include you more when you're travelling alone than say if you were part of a couple. Can be lonely, missed a friend's wedding & my mother's brother died while I was away. Felt bad that I wasn't home but had just started work.
    So much to see and do. It's an experience of a lifetime & it's easy, same language, same culture. I met lots of Asian fellow travellers who said I was so lucky to have the language. I stayed for a few months in a backpackers before I moved in with some Aussies in a house share. Didn't hang out in Irish bars, what's the point of going across the world to do that?! Left my travel til the end of my stay, up West coast, & down the middle, & key cities. Spent 3 weeks in NZ after. Didn't enjoy. Winter. On off bus tour. Probably too rushed.

Did it. Was great. I found people open up & include you more when you're travelling alone than say if you were part of a couple. Can be lonely, missed a friend's wedding & my mother's brother died while I was away. Felt bad that I wasn't home but had just started work.
    So much to see and do. It's an experience of a lifetime & it's easy, same language, same culture. I met lots of Asian fellow travellers who said I was so lucky to have the language. I stayed for a few months in a backpackers before I moved in with some Aussies in a house share. Didn't hang out in Irish bars, what's the point of going across the world to do that?! Left my travel til the end of my stay, up West coast, & down the middle, & key cities. Spent 3 weeks in NZ after. Didn't enjoy. Winter. On off bus tour. Probably too rushed.
    thanks for the reply
    What's the prospects like there now for getting work on a whv? I honestly don't mind what I'd be at as long as the money was decent enough to keep me going.
    As already said I'm a hgv mechanic, also do a bit of farming in the side, have worked as a welder, pipe fitter on a massive civil engineering job, also have articulated truck license, although from what I can gather its no use in aus, unless maybe they use them on farms for the harvest?, but anyways like I said I don't mind what I'd be at, I'd have a go at anything.
    A bit nervous about going alone, a mate is on about going but he keeps puttin it off, plus I think he'd be more into Irish bars, bondi beach and city livin etc., which doesn't really interest me, I want to see the country and all its sites.

Any other info for me folks?
    Did anyone who was to go travelling alone, end up going with a travel buddy? i.e. Someone who they didn't know but met them either just before going or during their travels, and how did ye get on?
    Also another question, is it legit to earn an income and run a small business (small farm) whilst being out of the country for a year or 2? Couldn't see why not so long as everything was done right but just said I'd ask.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Your situation sounds a lot like mine at this time last year, I moved here 6 months ago by myself, so far I'd say the best life decision I've ever made. I started off in Perth and stayed with a friend for a couple of weeks until I found my feet. From there I flew to Melbourne, traveled up the east coast to Cairns over the course of two and a half months and had the best time of my life.

Flight cost me €750 with Emirates, Dublin-Dubai-Perth, visa I think was around €300 but can't recall exactly, just check the immi website.

I lived outside Ireland for a few years before coming here and haven't lived near home since I was 18 so homesickness hasn't been an issue, obviously different for everyone though.

Loneliness also not an issue, just stay in hostels when traveling and you're guaranteed to meet people, there's literally thousands of people traveling by themselves.

I'm doing my regional work at the moment working on vineyards, got the job very easily, they didn't even ask for a CV.

Once I finish my regional work I'm planning on going to Asia for a few months also by myself, it's really a non issue once you realise how easy it is to meet people in hostels

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Around 9 months ago I left Ireland. I travelled around Asia on my own for a couple of months. It was very easy. I had done a small bit of solo travelling in South America but nothing to this extent. I was a little apprehensive before I left (28/M) but the one thing I took from it was how easy it is to travel alone. It also makes you better at conversing with people you normally wouldn't.

I then got to Sydney and have been living here for 6 months. My flights to Sydney from Dublin cost around 600 iirc. Since arriving in Sydney I have loved it. Would really recommend it.

I haven't done much travelling around Sydney but I have explored Tasmania, Perth and Cairns/GB Reef/Port Douglas. Its been great doing that too but a lot more expensive than travelling around Asia or the likes.

I whole heartedly recommend doing it. There have been times in my time in Syd that I have been lonely but they just give you a kick to get out there more.
    People all around the world are the same so if you want to have friends like at home, you wont be too hard finding them (whatever those type of people are).

Safety is not an issue unless you are going to places you know you shouldn't.

Harps wrote: »
    Your situation sounds a lot like mine at this time last year, I moved here 6 months ago by myself, so far I'd say the best life decision I've ever made. I started off in Perth and stayed with a friend for a couple of weeks until I found my feet. From there I flew to Melbourne, traveled up the east coast to Cairns over the course of two and a half months and had the best time of my life.

Flight cost me €750 with Emirates, Dublin-Dubai-Perth, visa I think was around €300 but can't recall exactly, just check the immi website.

I lived outside Ireland for a few years before coming here and haven't lived near home since I was 18 so homesickness hasn't been an issue, obviously different for everyone though.

Loneliness also not an issue, just stay in hostels when traveling and you're guaranteed to meet people, there's literally thousands of people traveling by themselves.

I'm doing my regional work at the moment working on vineyards, got the job very easily, they didn't even ask for a CV.

Once I finish my regional work I'm planning on going to Asia for a few months also by myself, it's really a non issue once you realise how easy it is to meet people in hostels

Thanks for the reply
    All this is sounding very encouraging,
    I do think I will be a bit homesick for a while though, but I don't have any real close friends around here anymore so I think that will make my decision to go that bit easier, i.e. life is a bit lonely around as it is, I'm just so used to always having alot of work to do and keeping myself busy, that it'll be a bit of a shock to the system to have time to myself, the urge to travel though is hopefully going to be enough to overcome these doubts.
    Thanks again

Around 9 months ago I left Ireland. I travelled around Asia on my own for a couple of months. It was very easy. I had done a small bit of solo travelling in South America but nothing to this extent. I was a little apprehensive before I left (28/M) but the one thing I took from it was how easy it is to travel alone. It also makes you better at conversing with people you normally wouldn't.

I then got to Sydney and have been living here for 6 months. My flights to Sydney from Dublin cost around 600 iirc. Since arriving in Sydney I have loved it. Would really recommend it.

I haven't done much travelling around Sydney but I have explored Tasmania, Perth and Cairns/GB Reef/Port Douglas. Its been great doing that too but a lot more expensive than travelling around Asia or the likes.

I whole heartedly recommend doing it. There have been times in my time in Syd that I have been lonely but they just give you a kick to get out there more.
    People all around the world are the same so if you want to have friends like at home, you wont be too hard finding them (whatever those type of people are).

Safety is not an issue unless you are going to places you know you shouldn't.
    Thanks for the reply
    Had you a full itinerary planned out before going to Asia or were you just winging it as you went along?
    I suppose the thinking of going to aus first is the language and culture would be similar which would make it easier to get in on the whole travelling thing, as it would be a complete change from the life I have now, and hopefully my confidence would grow to enable me to go to Asia with a good degree of confidence.
    Totally agree how everyone says it makes it easier to converse with others when you're on your own, that's how I am even around here, when I'm out with a couple of people I find I kind of stand back and don't say much, but when I'm put in a situation with a group of people that are total strangers, I immediately try a strike up a conversation with people, so hopefully that will stand to me.
    Thanks again and please any more info keep it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

You have nothing to lose so give it a go, I'm recently back after a couple of years away and got over to NZ for a quick look aswel as a couple of months in Asia and have no regrets.

My time in Oz went completely different to what I had in mind and I had 9 jobs in my two years there and while work was a worry sometimes it's all part of it.

Initially I spent time in rural south Australia for 5 months and then drove to Melbourne for 6 months, couldn't get ahead of myself between work and high cost of living in the city so drove back to the rural town I had done my regional work in and worked a grain harvest saved up a few quid and drove to Sydney for 7 months and then did the east coast on a tourist visa, everybody has a different take and experience so don't get too hung up on what you hear good or bad.

My advice would be to give it a go and take it as it comes, I couldn't legally work in my trade without licensing so had to think what skills were transferable to other jobs and just to give you a final push and head start,with your fitting background look into maintenance shutdowns, they happen all the time all over oz and some people follow the jobs around, I did a 3 week job as a fitters TA and the rate was excellent aswel as the experience.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply
    All this is sounding very encouraging,
    I do think I will be a bit homesick for a while though, but I don't have any real close friends around here anymore so I think that will make my decision to go that bit easier, i.e. life is a bit lonely around as it is, I'm just so used to always having alot of work to do and keeping myself busy, that it'll be a bit of a shock to the system to have time to myself, the urge to travel though is hopefully going to be enough to overcome these doubts.
    Thanks again

You will inevitably have the odd day where you have nobody to hang out with, just don't let it get you down as it's no different to the same thing at home. Go for a long walk exploring, have a lazy day at the beach or watch some Netflix in the hostel. After a while traveling and doing things every day you'll be glad of days where you can just recharge and have a day to yourself.

Feel free to PM me if you're looking for any help planning a route

Harps wrote: »
    You will inevitably have the odd day where you have nobody to hang out with, just don't let it get you down as it's no different to the same thing at home. Go for a long walk exploring, have a lazy day at the beach or watch some Netflix in the hostel. After a while traveling and doing things every day you'll be glad of days where you can just recharge and have a day to yourself.

Feel free to PM me if you're looking for any help planning a route

Ya I'm sure you're right, I suppose with having more time on my hands I'll hopefully have more confidence in trying new things, when I'm busy here at home it gets very easy to just maintain the status quo, but I'm going to try and do as many activities and see as many things as possible, in fact I'm kind of thinking I'll do more if I'm travelling alone than if I'm with someone.
    Thanks again
    I'll send ya a pm if I think of anything else thanks, any more advice either by pm or a post is very much appreciated so keep it coming!

Thanks for the reply
    Had you a full itinerary planned out before going to Asia or were you just winging it as you went along?
    I suppose the thinking of going to aus first is the language and culture would be similar which would make it easier to get in on the whole travelling thing, as it would be a complete change from the life I have now, and hopefully my confidence would grow to enable me to go to Asia with a good degree of confidence.
    Totally agree how everyone says it makes it easier to converse with others when you're on your own, that's how I am even around here, when I'm out with a couple of people I find I kind of stand back and don't say much, but when I'm put in a situation with a group of people that are total strangers, I immediately try a strike up a conversation with people, so hopefully that will stand to me.
    Thanks again and please any more info keep it coming.

I just winged the travelling around Asia. I had a rough idea before I left about where I wanted to go but in reality I didn't follow that at all. I just talked to people on the way and got advice from others. Followed a few like minded people for different legs and just took it each day at a time.
    Even just talking about it now makes me very wanderlust.

A kickass bag is key. I had a small zip around bag and while the zip around worked really well, it was a tiny bit too small. Absolute ordeal closing it each time i moved. Would recommend paying a little extra for a really good strong bag with a bit of space.
    Light comfortable shoes are key as well. Unless you want to do some serious trekking dont bother with hiking boots, a pair of those nike free running shoes will be so light in your bag but can comfortably let you walk serious distances.

I just winged the travelling around Asia. I had a rough idea before I left about where I wanted to go but in reality I didn't follow that at all. I just talked to people on the way and got advice from others. Followed a few like minded people for different legs and just took it each day at a time.
    Even just talking about it now makes me very wanderlust.

A kickass bag is key. I had a small zip around bag and while the zip around worked really well, it was a tiny bit too small. Absolute ordeal closing it each time i moved. Would recommend paying a little extra for a really good strong bag with a bit of space.
    Light comfortable shoes are key as well. Unless you want to do some serious trekking dont bother with hiking boots, a pair of those nike free running shoes will be so light in your bag but can comfortably let you walk serious distances.

Cheers that's excellent advice
    Would you recommend any size, type or brand of bag in particular?
    Do you think its better off starting off travelling with just a few essentials and pick up what you need along the way, or is it better having all planned and prepared before hand?
    Also how did you find the language barrier, if indeed there was one?
    I know I'm asking alot of questions but honestly this is all new to me and I just want to prepare as well as possible.
    Thanks again

minzabud wrote: »
    You have nothing to lose so give it a go, I'm recently back after a couple of years away and got over to NZ for a quick look aswel as a couple of months in Asia and have no regrets.

My time in Oz went completely different to what I had in mind and I had 9 jobs in my two years there and while work was a worry sometimes it's all part of it.

Initially I spent time in rural south Australia for 5 months and then drove to Melbourne for 6 months, couldn't get ahead of myself between work and high cost of living in the city so drove back to the rural town I had done my regional work in and worked a grain harvest saved up a few quid and drove to Sydney for 7 months and then did the east coast on a tourist visa, everybody has a different take and experience so don't get too hung up on what you hear good or bad.

My advice would be to give it a go and take it as it comes, I couldn't legally work in my trade without licensing so had to think what skills were transferable to other jobs and just to give you a final push and head start,with your fitting background look into maintenance shutdowns, they happen all the time all over oz and some people follow the jobs around, I did a 3 week job as a fitters TA and the rate was excellent aswel as the experience.
    thanks minzabud
    How did you find getting work in rural aus? Were you driving machinery or labouring or what?
    Ya I'd be looking to get into something like maintenance shutdowns, in fact I'm looking to get into that type of work here at the minute, got word that I might get a bit of that work coming up soon, so fingers crossed I'd get a bit of experience as I'm sure it would stand to me looking for that type of work over there.
    what's the story with motor insurance over there, if I was to buy or hire a camper or car is insurance expensive?
    Thanks

I worked on the grain harvest for a couple of months operating conveyors and unloading trucks with a big company called Viterra, for maintenance jobs tickets are required for everything I had to do a confined space course out of my own money to land a job but the more you have the better off you will be, if your only going for a year or so I wouldn't get to caught up in it as it can be expensive.

I had car insurance the first year I was there for 400au it wasn't compulsory as as 3rd party was included in the registration. I didn't have any insurance for the second year, a lot of companies wouldn't quote me due to my visa.

I worked on the grain harvest for a couple of months operating conveyors and unloading trucks with a big company called Viterra, for maintenance jobs tickets are required for everything I had to do a confined space course out of my own money to land a job but the more you have the better off you will be, if your only going for a year or so I wouldn't get to caught up in it as it can be expensive.

I had car insurance the first year I was there for 400au it wasn't compulsory as as 3rd party was included in the registration. I didn't have any insurance for the second year, a lot of companies wouldn't quote me due to my visa.

Would I be right in saying that any tickets in Ireland are of no use over there?
    Have worked in a confined space,(tunnel) for almost a year. I presume my best bet would be to get the white card first for construction sites and see what sort if work comes my way after that.
    Do most people bother getting any more insurance other than the 3rd party?

Cheers that's excellent advice
    Would you recommend any size, type or brand of bag in particular?
    Do you think its better off starting off travelling with just a few essentials and pick up what you need along the way, or is it better having all planned and prepared before hand?
    Also how did you find the language barrier, if indeed there was one?
    I know I'm asking alot of questions but honestly this is all new to me and I just want to prepare as well as possible.
    Thanks again

I got a Caribee 070 Mallorca (70Litres). It has a day pack on the front but I threw that away because they are no use to me. I brought a separate smaller bag to bring on planes and buses, usual stuff in there like ipod, book, rain jacket, travel pillow, maps, pen, spare underwear etc.

Sometimes this smaller bag (think schoolbag) is overkill for beach excursions etc so one of those material rope bags is another very handy thing to have in the bag. It takes up hardly any room aswell. I dont really know how to describe this bag but they are like the ones you get given for free at freshers week in college (has a rope that closes bag and also slings over your shoulder).

I wasn't too particular about having everything I needed but I did get some good medical supplies, small torch, travel guide book. Clothes and that sort of thing you can pick up if you need them. I think i went through 4 sets of flip flops, picking things like that up is easy.
    Hardcore travellers will cringe at this next point but I unlocked my phone in Dublin before I left. Then when i got to each new destination I picked up a cheap local sim. It was really helpful when you get lost to pull up a map or look at directions to a place. They cost nothing these sims, just get the one with the most data (you wont need any call minutes as when you ring home you will skype or whatsapp). The sims are a nice crutch to have, especially if you are alone like I was.

You will always have language barriers but unless you can learn a few languages before you leave, this is an eventuality. Its all part of the experience, you get fairly handy at communicating with people through other methods. A lot of places in asia you go to there will be a lot of people who speak good english so you wont feel too isolated for too long (unless you really go into back country).

Hope this helps

I wasn't too particular about having everything I needed but I did get some good medical supplies, small torch, travel guide book. Clothes and that sort of thing you can pick up if you need them. I think i went through 4 sets of flip flops, picking things like that up is easy.
    Hardcore travellers will cringe at this next point but I unlocked my phone in Dublin before I left. Then when i got to each new destination I picked up a cheap local sim. It was really helpful when you get lost to pull up a map or look at directions to a place. They cost nothing these sims, just get the one with the most data (you wont need any call minutes as when you ring home you will skype or whatsapp). The sims are a nice crutch to have, especially if you are alone like I was

Definitely do this, my phone has been the single most invaluable bit of kit I've taken with me, eliminates the need for a laptop, iPod, camera, map, guide book, torch, etc. the list goes on. Also great for keeping in touch with people you meet along the way with Facebook and obviously for calling home for free on Skype.

I traveled with a 40l osprey backpack and a small day pack, a bit tight for space by the end but it was hot for the duration so all I needed clothes wise was t shirts and shorts so it was fine.

Check out the Greyhound bus tour along the east coast if you do decide to do some traveling in Australia first. It's a bit cliqued and full of German gap year kids but I still had the time of my life, I went from Melbourne to Cairns over the course of 2 months and had a great experience.

Would I be right in saying that any tickets in Ireland are of no use over there?
    Have worked in a confined space,(tunnel) for almost a year. I presume my best bet would be to get the white card first for construction sites and see what sort if work comes my way after that.

Your courses and tickets need to accredited in Australia so your back to square one, I did my white card online as it was only available once a month in the area I was living.

As regards bag I travel with a 90l duffel bag, it's durable and a lot to be said for being able to fully zip open the bag to get in around and get stuff out, I have been using it über four years and wouldn't leave home without it, not ideal for trekking or anything but moving around every few days it was very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm in the same boat myself, age 25 male feeling I have nothing to look forward to here anymore.

You should definetely just do it, you'll look back on our life one day and regret it. This is what I say to myself when I doubt going alone.

I have an uncle in Kings cliff so at least I have someone to go over and see.

Regarding hostels..I've stayed in one in krakow in October and so many people went alone and it's very social. Im a shy person myself and my brother and I spoke to people from all over the globe all weekend.

I'm jealous as I'm without the cash unlike you right now so I don't know when I'll get to go..maybe I'll go for just a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Hi,
    I went to Oz in 2007 and traveled for 6 months and then went to NZ for 2 months. I didn't have a work visa just tourist visa. I stayed with a few contacts out there and done some WWOOFing along the way...http://www.wwoof.com.au/

I mainly traveled alone, stayed with some mates in Sydney then headed off. Was a bit scary going off on my own at first but you meet so many other people like you, so its not a problem. I met up with people from UK, USA, Germany and travelled with them. e.g me and a girl from USA and guy from UK hired a camper van and traveled the Great Ocean road for a week, brilliant experience. I went to some out of the way places, had a cousin in out back New South Wales, 9 house by train and bus from Sydney. Was also in Darwin for a while which i really enjoyed. Was also in Tasmania, Alice Springs, Adelaide and Melbourne.

As was said by others a good bag is essential to have a good bag, i had a bag pack that zipped open when lay down flat, it was so handy. I seen other people unpacking and repacking their bags every day as they had stuff down the bottom or whatever. Also had a smaller bag which zipped on to the front, handy for going on day trips etc.

You will have your up and down times, you will meet some people you get on great with and others you cant stand!!
    Good ear plugs are also essential, for me anyway, as there can be a lot of noise, snoring, in the bigger hostel rooms!

Just go and enjoy it! Hope this helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Your courses and tickets need to accredited in Australia so your back to square one, I did my white card online as it was only available once a month in the area I was living.

As regards bag I travel with a 90l duffel bag, it's durable and a lot to be said for being able to fully zip open the bag to get in around and get stuff out, I have been using it über four years and wouldn't leave home without it, not ideal for trekking or anything but moving around every few days it was very handy.

Sorry for highjacking....but what way do trade Certs etc work out/needing to be accredited for oz (and NZ)....or is it realistic to get work at harvest time as a diesel mechanic

Sorry for highjacking....but what way do trade Certs etc work out/needing to be accredited for oz (and NZ)....or is it realistic to get work at harvest time as a diesel mechanic

I'm not sure what the process is for a mechanic but as an electrician I had to go to through TRA( trade recognition Australia) and the process took 6 months when the application was submitted, cost 1500au and you had to apply within Australia.

It can vary from state to state and also they have been known to change the rules a lot aswel as the fees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Third Party Insurance is compulsory. You get it when you register a car.

Beware that it's only Third party person insurance, it does not cover property. If you hit something expensive it can cost a lot. I would not risk it.

If you have a NCB at home then get a letter from your current insurer sataing your history and they will often apply the discount here too.

If you are going to hire cars then some travel insurance policies have rental car excess cover included.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Almost in a identical situation as you. Have just broke up with my girlfriend and lease is up in July. I'm 25 and just bored with life here. I'm going to book this right away is it better to get the usit visa or do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Just got a loan approved by the bank going to apply for my visa when I get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Almost in a identical situation as you. Have just broke up with my girlfriend and lease is up in July. I'm 25 and just bored with life here. I'm going to book this right away is it better to get the usit visa or do it yourself?

If you haven't done so already you are better off applying for the visa through the immigration website as it will save you some money. Good luck with it and don't be afraid to ask any questions here. Make sure you do some research on jobs in your field in whichever city you plan to go to first.

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Just got a loan approved by the bank going to apply for my visa when I get home from work.

Fair play you're not hangin around!,have you any plans?,when, where your going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Yeah, would def recommend doing your visa yourself on the immi.gov.au website as it's dead quick (like, confirmation in hours) and MUCH cheaper. Granted I got mine 10 years ago, but it was €80 or something compared to €120 or so USIT were charging. Don't bother going for any of those start up packs offering bank accounts and sim cards and stuff. All that is pretty easy to set up/get when you're there.

My travelling days pre-dated smartphones (and Facebook!) but I think its def a good idea to get your phone unlocked before you go. Maybe make sure you have iCloud or something like that that virtually backs up photos cause it would be gutting to have your phone robbed and loose all your photos.

Also agree re the side/zip opening backpack. Someone gave me this advise before I went and it was great! I think you're right to do your working first and then travel. Lots of people got to Sydney and then caught up in partying and couldn't manage to get the funds together to leave. The experience of the freedom is just so awesome.... Once you're not financially struggling, you will have days where your biggest decision is what beer to drink or what time to have dinner....!!! :D I'm not joking... It's probably the only time in your life you'll have that freedom. Soak it up.
    I'm so jealous. I absolutely LOVED my year and half travelling and wish I could do it all again........

Enjoy!
    Also happy to answer any PMs if people have questions.

Advertisement