Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved to Melbourne

Options
  • 09-03-2016 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I just moved to Melbourne with my Aussie gf

I am looking for ways to make friends, I'd like to have my own circle outside of hers, with some international people to add to the mix

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

meetup.com is your friend. It's actually legitmately useful over there and it's how I found some of the events / groups I was a regular of.

One of these events was a weekly triva night in The Common Man in South Wharf every Tuesday night at 6. Also, $10 pizza deal and I usually ordered what was normally the most expensive one! There are however, plenty of other places that do triva nights during the week.

Newbies International is the main group I was part of, they organize movie nights, pub crawls, trips, etc. Though it's owner was sort of trying too hard to make it a business before I left. :pac:

Another good group is Raiders of The Lost bars, which organises meet ups in various differnt bars in the city. During the summer, it goes to a different roof top bar every week ( of which there are loads in Melbourne! )

Do you have any hobbies you can pick up here as well? That would be a great way to meet like minded people. I was part of the local fighting game community ( Think Street Fighter ) as well a regular in a Toastmasters Club there, both of which I was active in at home ( and continue to do so since I returned. )

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunsetter

meetup.com is your friend. It's actually legitmately useful over there and it's how I found some of the events / groups I was a regular of.

One of these events was a weekly triva night in The Common Man in South Wharf every Tuesday night at 6. Also, $10 pizza deal and I usually ordered what was normally the most expensive one! There are however, plenty of other places that do triva nights during the week.

Newbies International is the main group I was part of, they organize movie nights, pub crawls, trips, etc. Though it's owner was sort of trying too hard to make it a business before I left. :pac:

Another good group is Raiders of The Lost bars, which organises meet ups in various differnt bars in the city. During the summer, it goes to a different roof top bar every week ( of which there are loads in Melbourne! )

Do you have any hobbies you can pick up here as well? That would be a great way to meet like minded people. I was part of the local fighting game community ( Think Street Fighter ) as well a regular in a Toastmasters Club there, both of which I was active in at home ( and continue to do so since I returned. )

Thanks for the advice, I have been on MeetUp since last week but have yet to go to anything. I'll check out the groups you mentioned and I also see there are some other weekly meetups in a bar in Fitzroy so I'll check that out too

I am into running so will defo do the running meetups, also I'm into software testing so there are actually some groups around that too.. was hoping for an electronic music one but I might just have to ceate my own :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Hey Sunsetter,

How you getting on over in Melbourne now? Great city and plenty opportunity to meet people. If you're into running there are some great groups.

Couple of good groups meet up in Princes Park in Carlton North/Brunswick during the week nights, take your pick there. Alternatively, if you're into trail running check out the Dandy (Dandenong) trail running group or the Surf Coast Trail Runners who do runs in the You Yangs and down the GOR/Torquay etc....both great groups with really good vibe and friendly bunch!

Advertisement