Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on automatic gates

Options
  • 09-03-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am installing gates for my house which is 45 meters from a rural country road. Not too busy of a road but cars and do up to 40/50km.
    My house is well enough finished outside (lawn and shrub/flowers/tess set)in the rural countryside. There is sheep farming all around us.
    Both my wife and I work daily but one of us is home every other day mid week. We have a couple of young children

My query is - should i make the gates automatic.

I know there are good and not so good installers out there. I would only get a good person installing to do the job.
    I want to only close the gates whenever i need to e.g. when away from home for more that 4/5 hours. I don't want to be preceived as a "Stay out" houses where gates are closed most of the day. I think its rude and not very neighbourly.
    If money was no option, then i probably would put them in for the convenience sake but like most money is hard earned.

I know a neighbour of mine put in automatic gates 6 years ago and haven't been used in 3 or 4 years.

Pros,
    that pressing a button to open and close the gates would be convienent going in and out of the house.
    security that no-one can get passed the gates when closed

Cons,
    Cost i have seen is up at around 1900 for gate automation only (not the gates)
    How practical is it in the west of ireland (with all our wind and rain) to expect electric gates to work for long time.
    If the automation stops working, is it possible that you can't get in or out. I have heard some horror stories. That would be a nightmare.
    Repairs and maintenance is potentially expensive.

What are peoples opinion/experiences on electric/automated gates for houses?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

If installed correctly they will work fine. I've mine installed 6 or 7 years without any problems. The key thing is a decent quality automation kit and the extra time being spent to install neatly. Limiting the chance for water ingress into sensors, keypads and control panel is important. If the gates or power fail they can normally be opened with a special lever. The reality is most people have regular gates and they are nearly always open, defeating the purpose of a gate. Very handy opening and closing at touch of a button, definitely feel more secure at night

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

One option is to install ducts and underground boxes now and hang gates. You can always automate at a later date or not at all. You can get the boxes minus the motor for small money. The boxes have nice free moving bearings to take weight of gate and reduce forces on pillar if heavy gates

Advertisement