Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anpost not delivering parcels

Options
  • 09-03-2016 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

This is getting very frustrating. Over the last six months we have been sent at least once parcel from abroad a month and every single time I find the notification leaflet in my postbox that I was not home so I should please come and pick up the parcel from the Anpost office. Thing is that almost all these parcels also had tracking numbers so I knew when they should come and even for the others I was home ALL DAY the day they claimed I was not. I even checked our door bell as I first suspected it might not be working properly.

So same exact thing happened yesterday and I have had enough. What can I do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should register a complaint with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's pretty standard for anything that doesn't fit in a posties bag apparently,
    We get alot of parcels always the same we missed you note in the post box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Gatling wrote: »

utter bull "ALWAYS"

We use an post for parcel delivery - about 300 a week. We get "exception" reports which is where the parcel has not been delivered at first attempt. Less than 5 or 6 a week would show as undelivered on first attempt.

The idea that they would leave without the parcel and just the slip is ludicrous, but some like to think such a thing happens - yet can never show proof.

If it was prevalent we would not have our customers for long. If we had complaints we'd move to another service.

Depending on where you live, parcels may be delivered by their parcel delivery vans rather than the letter post service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

VincePP wrote: »
    utter bull "ALWAYS"

Certainly not 'always', but I think it's a problem with certain postmen. For example, where I am at the moment, there's never been a problem: postman will always ring before leaving the note. The last place was a different story altogether: I would inevitably be in most of the time (was unemployed) and would always just find the note, and there was never an attempt to see whether anybody was home.

I think it just depends on the postman. I will always put down my work address now that I'm employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

There is a new system, but senders have to sign a disclaimer. Delivery person can now ring and you can ask them to leave witha neighbour. Also, if sender has your email, they can enter iot and an post sends all the tracking details. A furtehr service allows for parcel to be dropped to a local postpoint store.

Problem is the senders have to sign up, so if sender doesn't sign up, the extra services can't be offered.

As a farily good size customer I've been to the sorting centres, i've been shown their systems and also been to local DSO. One qestion was about leaving without a parcel and its simply not possible (if its got tracking) as it is programmed into their handheld devices and must be scanned at the door. Time stamp is then reported to the sender in the daily report.

Basically it is more effort not to have the parcel than to have it and the delivery person runs risk of sanction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Utter nonsense,
    Every single delivery I get from An Post no matter how big or heavy has always been with them when they attempted delivery. They don't just throw slips through the letter box.

If slips are being left that its an issue with the specific postman, its certainly not standard

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Has happened to me on numerous occasions, postman was a notorious twat locally and didnt fancy carrying the parcel to the front door from where he parked. Caught him at it one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭con___manx1

you should use parcel motel. its much cheaper than an post and you can pick up the parcels at your own convenience. if a seller offers free delivery to the uk. you can get it delivered to ireland for 4 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I left a note on our postbox this morning as the tracking number details say they attempted delivery yesterday but I was supposedly not home and I didn't get any notification leaflet from Anpost yesterday. I hope he will get the message so I don't have to file a complaint. Picking up parcels from the Anpost office means going there by car during office hours which just isn't possible all the time and if it's meant to be delivered at home and I am there I don't want to change the delivery address to my husband's office (also as his boss has an issue with personal deliveries going there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

I remember 'missing' a postman by seconds at my office address (he did not ring the door bell, just left the green slip saying he missed me).

By chance I happened to see him walking away from the door (I missed him by seconds) and he said he didnt actually have the parcel on him! (despite having left the green slip about ten seconds ago).

He said he the parcel was in the depot and I could collect it from there.

It appeared that he forgot the small parcel (registered post) the day before at the bottom of his sachel and was covering his tracks by giving me the green slip the next day hoping nobody would be the wiser ….

• Advertisement

Once in a blue moon that's fine but not every time we get any size of a parcel :( but good to know I am not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Cabaal wrote: »
    Utter nonsense,
    Every single delivery I get from An Post no matter how big or heavy has always been with them when they attempted delivery. They don't just throw slips through the letter box.

If slips are being left that its an issue with the specific postman, its certainly not standard

I've had 25 deliveries since Christmas and all were undelivered and the Green slip was given to me by the post man with most of my neighbours in our apartment block get the same .
    So yeah its always in our case big or small it's always the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

It is hit an miss with me.

Over the last 12 months id say 5 of out 10 parcels were 'sorry we missed you' notices .. even though my wife works from home and is there all the time.

On one occasion she opened the door as the postie was putting the slip in the letterbox, he said she would have to collect at the depot as he didn't have the package (it was an A4 sized envelope). We are not in an urban location and the postie drives door to door in a van so not an issue with space etc.

On that occasion she rang the depot and insisted they deliver the following morning. They did.

But its just a pain in the ass when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I cant speak for the bigger sorting offices, but when I was involved in one of the smaller sorting offices there would be regular inspections and if any post was left behind by one of the posties there would be hell to pay.

All post had to leave the sorting office, there was no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I order petfood online every month. Postman used to always puts slip in the door with no attempt to deliver. Hapened 3 times in a row. Pure laziness.
    Thankfully there is an option on the site i used to have DPD deliver. Always deliver no excuses. If nobodys home they phone and will leave at neighbours or deliver the next day if you want. No issues in 3 years.
    An post are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Some post men have a van (for example the area where i work the post man goes around in a van, not just to my building but the whole town, you can see him parking up and then walking to houses and back then to the van), and some walk by foot (my own post man at home walks, i see him every morning).
    Perhaps its if they cant carry it in their bag and dont have a post van, then they just leave the leaflet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

mel123 wrote: »
    Some post men have a van (for example the area where i work the post man goes around in a van, not just to my building but the whole town, you can see him parking up and then walking to houses and back then to the van), and some walk by foot (my own post man at home walks, i see him every morning).
    Perhaps its if they cant carry it in their bag and dont have a post van, then they just leave the leaflet?

Cant speak for AnPost, but Royal Mail send parcels/large items with a separate postie. The guy on foot will do his route with letters etc and there's another in a van with bigger items covering a larger area.

Today had a "sorry we missed you" note in our mailbox (and of course I was home all day again). Tracking details said he had tried to deliver it two days ago and would come back yesterday. So we will go and pick it up from the depot. The postie did scribble on it that it is very large (it's more than 10kg so that's true) and if he at least delivered the small parcels I would not mind if we have to pick up the big ones. He must have seen my note on the mailbox that I am home all day so please deliver our parcels. But only because we happen to have a car; how do others only manage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

How could they do that?

If you happen to be standing at the door or run out after the postman when he delivers the note then he will be caught out pretty quick if he does not have the parcel in his van.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Normally they will have two routes for each area, one for mail and one for packages. Neither our cyclist nor van driver have tried anything like this before but I've seen it abroad, sometimes not even leaving the note for a day or two (tracking tells all fools).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Only one way to deal with these chancers..

DeeTee100 wrote: »

hahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭con___manx1

:)
    DeeTee100 wrote: »

brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Treadhead wrote: »
    Cant speak for AnPost, but Royal Mail send parcels/large items with a separate postie. The guy on foot will do his route with letters etc and there's another in a van with bigger items covering a larger area.

It's the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It does happen. I have been lucky with my posties and this has never been issue with the exception of a temp who was covering for a few weeks. I work from home half the week and would have parcels come in every other day. We have cctv and a loud monitor bell that rings throughout the house for a good 20 seconds. I also work from the living room and have a clear view of the garden and road.

I had two days in a row where I missed the postie and got the missed you slips instead. 20-30 minutes to collect out of my busy day for small parcels that would normally be left in the large enough mailbox (courtesy of Lidl :D). The following day, I happened to notice the postie was a new one as he walked up the driveway. I went out to answer door and as I do, he is already walking away. Missed you slip was hanging from the letter box. I called out to him. Asked for parcel and he said it was in van. Asked why it wasn't on him and he said he didn't think i would be home :mad: . Lazy bast@rd entered my mind. So, i told a white lie and pointed to the cctv camera above the door, telling him that I have proof he hadn't been trying to deliver my parcels. He said he could try again tomorrow, but was too busy to come back today. WTF! A phone call to the depot explaining the situation not only had my parcel back to in less than a half hour, but a different postie was on the route the following day.....oh and she was hot :D. I wish they had kept her on. The depot manager was none too pleased about what I told him and I said I could have the cctv footage shown to prove it.

So, it happens, but is not normal practice. I prefer parcel motel where possible, because it is often cheaper and very handy for the days i am not home.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A "Ring" video doorbell would be perfect to catch the chancers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DryBalls

I live in an apartment block and over the last year have only bordered an handful of packages to be delivered by an post and every time I have been left the "sorry we missed you" and each time there has been someone at home waiting.

It's very inconvenient to pay to have something delivered yet have to then actually collect it. It may help if they opened the package centres outside office hours.

I think it's the postmen just being lazy, seeing anything bigger than a regular letter and saying "nope, not carrying that". It's a bit dishonest to say sorry we missed you when they made no attempt to deliver and you've been at home all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I wouldn't fancy delivering to apartments though. I would say it's a real PITA. I know it was when I used to do a little fast food delivery and some courier work. As a postie, I think I would just ring the bells of those who had parcels to be delivered, or signed for, then start to put the regular letters and bills in the mailboxes, while telling anyone answering the intercom that there is a parcel to collect in the lobby/mail/reception area. As a courier/food delivery, I would always ring 5 minutes before hand (if the number was available) and that would save me waiting for the occupant to make their way downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I think AnPost are trying to push these new postboxes that are installed at the front door it uses a Fob to open and householder get a copy too.

I used to have no problem with parcel delivers if we were not in the postman left it around the back of the house but since Christmas I have received the dreaded green slip every month whether I have been at home or not, which is a pain to go into the city to collect it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There is a difference between packets which your normal postperson would deliver (or not) and parcels which are done centrally from a van. I was expecting something recently and got no docket. The sender had it returned claiming 3 delivery attempts had been made, which they hadn't. They sent it again and I still had no docket. On spec, I rang my sorting office and they had the parcel. I said what had happened: they more or less said it happens all the time with the centrally delivered vans and that I could complain to customer services if I liked.
    Normally I would but I'm trying not to sweat the little things and in this instance I got my parcel.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement