Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB Visa Debit Card transaction Fraud

• 09-03-2016 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I have been the victim of Fraud/Theft from my ptsb current ac. 4 transactions made last night €150 , €200, €220, €220 all made to Companies Retailers in Germany
    I got a text from ptsb fraud department to contact them regarding the transactions.
    They cancelled my card & are posting me out some forms which i have to get signed by the Gardai & send back to ptsb

I'm very puzzled as to how someone got all my card details & went on a shopping spree as I am very cautious with my debit card 😣

I wonder how long will this investigation take will I get my money back ?
    & is this type of Crime on the rise ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

My CC was done about 4 weeks ago,
    Fraud dept caught it before it went from pending.
    I hardly use that card so I was also confused how they got the details.
    Transaction was done in Madrid
    SIX PACK wrote: »
    I have been the victim of Fraud/Theft from my ptsb current ac. 4 transactions made last night €150 , €200, €220, €220 all made to Companies Retailers in Germany
    I got a text from ptsb fraud department to contact them regarding the transactions.
    They cancelled my card & are posting me out some forms which i have to get signed by the Gardai & send back to ptsb

I'm very puzzled as to how someone got all my card details & went on a shopping spree as I am very cautious with my debit card 😣

I wonder how long will this investigation take will I get my money back ?
    & is this type of Crime on the rise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

That's another reason why I put it up to give people a heads up that this kind of cyber crime is alive and well even after all the latest security features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know if the transactions were point of sale or online? If point of sale it would be interesting how the card issuer can explain how someone managed to complete the sale without your PIN.

Transactions were online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Transactions were online.

I wonder can the Fraud Dept of PTSB find out the ip addresses of the fraudsters?

• Advertisement

Still heard Nothing back from Bank. What do I do now?
    it's been over 3 weeks.:/

Suggestions please

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Suggestions please

Ring them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Suggestions please

Why don't you contact the bank? Ring 24 hour banking - they are open this morning.
    Or ring the fraud department on Monday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Ring them, they are very helpful. I had my money back in about ten days. I know my form had to be signed off by the head of the department so that tookna few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

amdublin wrote: »
    Why don't you contact the bank? Ring 24 hour banking - they are open this morning.
    Or ring the fraud department on Monday morning

Pretty sure all the banks' fraud lines are 24/7 so OP should be able to call today. They can probably only do refunds etc under normal business hours but maybe they'll be able to access case notes or something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

If the fraud was on a debit card, are the same protections in place as there wold be for a credit card? If so, a chargeback can be requested?

Also 3 weeks is a long time to be waiting for a response. As others have said, call the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Just got the dreaded text myself. Rang PTSB up and the card is cancelled and they will investigate it etc. Just wondering how this turned out for others in similar situations, such as the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

@Benzino My credit card (then MBNA) and my Ulster debit card were skimmed in South Africa about 3 years ago for considerable sums.

Had the money back from both within two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Thanks Mena, that's reassuring, just sickens me that that the person responsible will likely get away with it.

Ah well, will have to change my ATM habits and only use ones inside branches.

Advertisement