Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is My Son Allergic To Puppy? Urgent Advise Required!

• 09-03-2016 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭

We got a new addition to the family about a week ago, a little 8 week old Morkie puppy. The kids love her and vice versa so all was well for about 4 days until my four year old son developed a rash across his back and chest which, according to our local pharmacist, is eczema ........ then a couple of days later his left eye became swollen, itchy and red ........ now he has a runny nose.

We're hoping that these reactions are eczema, conjunctivitis and a mild cold which all just happen to be coincidences ........ how likely is this?

Both sets of Grandparents have dogs and my son has spent a considerable amount of time around them since birth without any problems.
    If it turns out that he is allergic to the pup (highly likely at this stage) then what advise would people have regarding keeping the pup?

Morkies are known to be "hypoallergenic" dogs which I know is a bit of a nonsense expression but her shedding is minimum. We've started bathing her once a week and brush her daily to minimise dander. Constant hoovering etc.

Does anybody have any experience of this? Can children build up a kind of immunity to dog allergies by being constantly exposed to the dog? Is moving our puppy to a new home our only real option? How long should we wait/persevere before making a final decision?

Sorry for the long post, it's genuinely a family crisis right now!

TL;DR New puppy, son allergic, what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Id give it 6 weeks. Try an antihistamine for your son?

Cant really see why a mongrel puppy would suddenly cause an allergy reaction if the kid has already been exposed to dogs with no issues before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Has he actually been allergy tested and reacted to dog hair/dander? My allergies have gone crazy the last few weeks with the seasons changing so it may just be a coincidence. The reason I ask about testing is that I had a bad/persistent cough right after I'd had an operation and around the same time dog #1 arrived...GP was adamant it was the dog (and nothing to do with the mass removed from my thyroid/chest :rolleyes:) I disagreed and when the repository consultant requested allergy testing low and behold I was right - no reaction to dog hair/dander at all!

EDIT - btw antihistamines can take weeks to kick in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Id give it 6 weeks. Try an antihistamine for your son?

Cant really see why a mongrel puppy would suddenly cause an allergy reaction if the kid has already been exposed to dogs with no issues before.

We have him on an antihistamine at the moment but it's not working all that well .......... don't think we could leave my four year old son this uncomfortable without some major improvement for 6 weeks to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I'd be wary of allergy testing tbh, there can be a high percentage of false positives too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

MadDog76 wrote: »
    We have him on an antihistamine at the moment but it's not working all that well .......... don't think we could leave my four year old son this uncomfortable without some major improvement for 6 weeks to be honest.

Well I wouldnt leave him if it was getting worse. I meant Id give it 6 weeks while investigating it.

But what is his GP saying about it?

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Has he actually been allergy tested and reacted to dog hair/dander? My allergies have gone crazy the last few weeks with the seasons changing so it may just be a coincidence. The reason I ask about testing is that I had a bad/persistent cough right after I'd had an operation and around the same time dog #1 arrived...GP was adamant it was the dog (and nothing to do with the mass removed from my thyroid/chest :rolleyes:) I disagreed and when the repository consultant requested allergy testing low and behold I was right - no reaction to dog hair/dander at all!

No he hasn't been tested, he's never had a reaction to anything at all including the numerous dogs/pets he's been around .......... I'd love to believe his recent reactions are all coincidental but I'm doubtful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What is a morkie?

Well I wouldnt leave him if it was getting worse. I meant Id give it 6 weeks while investigating it.

But what is his GP saying about it?

He's booked in to see his GP this afternoon ......... I don't want to mention the new puppy (at first) to the GP to see what the diagnosis would be because I think if we mention the pup he'll immediately say "he's allergic to the pup, get rid of her" as opposed to offering other possible solutions.

Stheno wrote: »
    What is a morkie?

Cross between a Yorkie and a Maltese ............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morkie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83125602

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Would it be possible to give the pup back to the breeder or to somebody else for a week and see if your sons condition improves ?
    Edit; Any treatment/antibiotics that your doctor may prescribe will skew the results.

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Would it be possible to give the pup back to the breeder or to somebody else for a week and see if your sons condition improves ?
    Edit; Any treatment/antibiotics that your doctor may prescribe will skew the results.

That's a possibility and one we are seriously considering if need be ........ if my son's condition does improve after temporarily removing the pup from our home (which I'm almost certain it will) what then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

That's a possibility and one we are seriously considering if need be ........ if my son's condition does improve after temporarily removing the pup from our home (which I'm almost certain it will) what then?

If it were me I would;
    Go to GP and see what (s)he says is the problem. He may rule out the dog as a problem.
    If the GP confirms that the dog may be the problem I presume he will give you something to clear up your sons condition. Let this run its course and see from there.
    Did your sons condition disimprove immediately when the dog arrived, cos if it did I would assume that it would improve immediately if the dog were removed even for a day or two.
    Its a bit "unfortunate" that your are going to the GP today cos, as I say, any medicine/antibiotics will confuse the issue for you.
    If the dog is diagnosed as the only problem, I'm afraid Morkie would have to go.
    Hope it works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have noticed a lot of people I know come down with something recently. Any new household cleaners? Detergents? Change in diet? Has he been around other kids who are unwell recently? Have you ensured your vacuum is clean before and after use? Make sure your son isn't in the same room when you're vacuuming if possible, I can't be around anyone using a vacuum cleaner as my eyes and nose start going since it sometimes kicks up dust.

I myself had a flareup of eczema and a cough in the recent weeks, probably being under stress hasn't helped. With eight furballs in my house I know it's nothing to do with them.

Could totally be possible he's allergic, could be equally possible something else has triggered it.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Vizzy wrote: »
    If it were me I would;
    Go to GP and see what (s)he says is the problem. He may rule out the dog as a problem.
    If the GP confirms that the dog may be the problem I presume he will give you something to clear up your sons condition. Let this run its course and see from there.
    Did your sons condition disimprove immediately when the dog arrived, cos if it did I would assume that it would improve immediately if the dog were removed even for a day or two.
    Its a bit "unfortunate" that your are going to the GP today cos, as I say, any medicine/antibiotics will confuse the issue for you.
    If the dog is diagnosed as the only problem, I'm afraid Morkie would have to go.
    Hope it works out

My son didn't have any reaction at all to the pup for the first 4 days despite being constantly playing/cuddling her etc. ........ then the rash popped up followed by the irritated eye and runny nose.

I know back in the day the immediate solution to this issue was always "just get rid of the dog" (that was my initial instinctive thought tbh) but I've heard of people nowadays managing their allergies whilst keeping their dog. I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience of this and how successful they were ......... I know the longer we keep the pup the harder it's going to be to remove her from the home so I need to decide fairly quickly.

VonVix wrote: »
    I have noticed a lot of people I know come down with something recently. Any new household cleaners? Detergents? Change in diet? Has he been around other kids who are unwell recently? Have you ensured your vacuum is clean before and after use? Make sure your son isn't in the same room when you're vacuuming if possible, I can't be around anyone using a vacuum cleaner as my eyes and nose start going since it sometimes kicks up dust.

I myself had a flareup of eczema and a cough in the recent weeks, probably being under stress hasn't helped. With eight furballs in my house I know it's nothing to do with them.

Could totally be possible he's allergic, could be equally possible something else has triggered it.

We've wracked our brains trying to identify another possible source of his reactions but, sadly, the puppy is the only possible cause ........ and the fact that my son has had 3 (rash, sore eye, runny nose) symptoms which are all common to dog allergies is a strong confirmation.

Thankfully he is not feeling unwell in any other way whatsoever, just uncomfortable and itchy ......... he's also adamant that he's actually allergic to his younger brother and not the puppy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I have a cousin that is allergic to cats, and they react immediately if they touch any of our cats (they really love cats but obvs can't have one of their own. They put up with the swollen face/streaming eyes etc for the occasional cuddle) though they don't react if they're just in the house.

If your boy does have an allergy, I would be surprised that there was no reaction at all for 4 days, if you boy was in contact with the new pup during that time?

Just wondering - did you shampoo the dog before or after your boy's eczema appeared? I'd guess that was a new product in the house? Any flea treatments for the pup? Just a thought..

I hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

kathleen37 wrote: »
    I have a cousin that is allergic to cats, and they react immediately if they touch any of our cats (they really love cats but obvs can't have one of their own. They put up with the swollen face/streaming eyes etc for the occasional cuddle) though they don't react if they're just in the house.

Interesting point come to think of it. My friend is allergic to dogs (she has four short coated dogs herself!) and she sat in a chair where there was a long haired dog sitting previously, her eyes and nose started going off within minutes.

Same with another lad who is severely allergic to cats, he comes up in hives if he starts playing with a cat.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

kathleen37 wrote: »

If your boy does have an allergy, I would be surprised that there was no reaction at all for 4 days, if you boy was in contact with the new pup during that time?

Just wondering - did you shampoo the dog before or after your boy's eczema appeared? I'd guess that was a new product in the house? Any flea treatments for the pup? Just a thought..

I hope you get sorted.

Yes, he had constant contact with her from the minute we got her home ....... we washed/shampooed the puppy after his rash/eye sore/runny nose appeared.

I have a friend who's allergic to cats but his wife ( a cat-lover) was gifted a pair of kittens which they decided to keep ........ my friend had all the classic allergy symptoms for a few weeks but now has none at all, it's like he built up some kind of immunity?
    We are considering this option ourselves but is that really fair? My friend is a grown man so he had the right to decide for himself but should we be putting our child through this, especially if it doesn't actually work for him?

I know back in the day the immediate solution to this issue was always "just get rid of the dog" (that was my initial instinctive thought tbh) but I've heard of people nowadays managing their allergies whilst keeping their dog. I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience of this and how successful they were ......... I know the longer we keep the pup the harder it's going to be to remove her from the home so I need to decide fairly quickly.

I have asthma and keep my dogs well groomed so brush them regularly and they swim a lot so that washes them. The only dogs who set it off would be ones that are scruffy and never washed lol!

tk123 wrote: »
    I have asthma and keep my dogs well groomed so brush them regularly and they swim a lot so that washes them. The only dogs who set it off would be ones that are scruffy and never washed lol!

My Dad also has asthma and has had many dogs over the years without any problems but he doesn't have any allergies .......... do you have an allergy to dogs as well as asthma or asthma alone?

• Advertisement

Has anybody ever used any Allerpet products (or similar)?

Did you find they helped??

http://allerpet.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Maybe it's not that your sons allergic to the dog himself but maybe responding to something the dog trekked in or from playing with him? My parents dog is very hands on abd also sheds a lot. My little cousin got an eye infection after rubbing his eye with a hand that had dog hair on it. There was nothing on the hair and he isn't allergic to him it anything, just that his parents didn't realists it was there so couldn't take it out.

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Maybe it's not that your sons allergic to the dog himself but maybe responding to something the dog trekked in or from playing with him? My parents dog is very hands on abd also sheds a lot. My little cousin got an eye infection after rubbing his eye with a hand that had dog hair on it. There was nothing on the hair and he isn't allergic to him it anything, just that his parents didn't realists it was there so couldn't take it out.

The puppy, being only 8 weeks old and tiny, hasn't been outdoors yet so nothing she could have trekked in .......... if it was only one symptom, ie. an eye infection or a rash or a runny nose, then I would be more hopeful but the fact that he has all 3 symptoms tells me it's the puppy itself unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Did you change the puppy's food over the course of those four days? If the pup is licking your son, an ingredient in the new food might be a culprit. Is your lad feeding the dog any treats? Did you use a spot-on treatment of any kind?

I'm allergic to a number of things and generally react within minutes or hours to an allergen. If the pair were okay together for over 48 hours I'd be thinking about all new products and routines rather than just the dog himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP just to give you another perspective..

I have my dog nearly 11 years.. have had family dogs all my life now 38… last June I developed serious allergies and they have been ongoing ever since on and off… runny nose, streaming every… constant sneezing, swollen eyes..

First thing my GP says is get rid of the dog… eh HELLO I’ve had him years it’s not happening plus I don’t believe he is the cause… even if he was he’s staying put… anyway after tests it was discovered I’m allergic to dust… his has NEVER been the case before now but you can just develop an allergy over time.

So I went one strong nasal spray and neo Clariytin for 2 months and it has helped but they are still there from time to time...

My point is he could be allergic to anything not just the dog, and IMO your GP will be quick to say remove the dog without exploring other options – just from my experience.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Before we got a pup I went to an immunologist to have an allergy test done as I had been diagnosed with a dog allergy as a child.

The results came back that I had a mild allergy to dog dander. I was told not to bath or groom the dog myself but to leave this to my wife (Dr's orders :D)

He also recommended getting a non shedding dog like a bichon (he has a bichon himself)

He did say that if I developed symptoms after getting the dog to come back to him before giving up the dog as there was a (long and expensive) treatment available.

As it turned out we didn't get a bichon but I never developed any symptoms and I brush the dog myself pretty regularly.

I'd say see a proper immunologist, not a shopping centre allergy tester, and take it from there.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Did you change the puppy's food over the course of those four days? If the pup is licking your son, an ingredient in the new food might be a culprit. Is your lad feeding the dog any treats? Did you use a spot-on treatment of any kind?

I'm allergic to a number of things and generally react within minutes or hours to an allergen. If the pair were okay together for over 48 hours I'd be thinking about all new products and routines rather than just the dog himself.

No food change or treats of any kind, no treatments either ........ the 4 day aspect made us, at first, believe it couldn't possibly be the pup coupled with the fact that he's been around dogs for hours at a time since birth ........ but there's no other real explanation at this point.
    Maybe he has a mild allergy which takes days rather than minutes/hours to manifest?

My Dad also has asthma and has had many dogs over the years without any problems but he doesn't have any allergies .......... do you have an allergy to dogs as well as asthma or asthma alone?

I have year round allergies/chronic rhinitis and asthma from damage a thyroid mass caused :( Dander will choke me up or might make me itchy but I vacuum and keep them well brushed. I have 2 retrievers though so there's usually fur everywhere no matter how much we vacuum! :p ATM I have sore throat, ear aches, itchy eyes and stuffy sinuses from hay fever - the weather is just weird the last while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I think your son will have to go..... :(

• Advertisement

Diemos wrote: »
    I think your son will have to go..... :(

We're discussing that option also ............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

No dogs are hypo allergenic unfortunately, a lot of breeders market them like that, to make them more attractive, but it's just not true. My little one is allergic to dogs, but it's not the dander it's the mites that they carry or more correctly their poop.
    You could try giving the dog a treatment to kill mites and then a good wash and see if it makes a difference, but for me, a dog there are 2 options- an outside dog or no dog at all. You can get allergy testing done, but to get it done somewhere reputable costs a lot, it was 300 for my little one but we found out exactly what she is allergic to so money well spent.

No food change or treats of any kind, no treatments either ........ the 4 day aspect made us, at first, believe it couldn't possibly be the pup coupled with the fact that he's been around dogs for hours at a time since birth ........ but there's no other real explanation at this point.
    Maybe he has a mild allergy which takes days rather than minutes/hours to manifest?

That's possible, but it could be something as simple as a tug-toy, dog bed, carpet/surface cleaner or even poop bags with scented components. It might even be just that your son's spending a lot more time at floor level, however clean your house is.

When bringing a pup into the house life changes kindof dramatically, an upheaval dog-lovers who become dog owners can rather underestimate. ;) I really hope you can figure it out. It may be something to do with the pup but hopefully it's not your Morkie herself.

screamer wrote: »
    No dogs are hypo allergenic unfortunately, a lot of breeders market them like that, to make them more attractive, but it's just not true. My little one is allergic to dogs, but it's not the dander it's the mites that they carry or more correctly their poop.
    You could try giving the dog a treatment to kill mites and then a good wash and see if it makes a difference, but for me, a dog there are 2 options- an outside dog or no dog at all. You can get allergy testing done, but to get it done somewhere reputable costs a lot, it was 300 for my little one but we found out exactly what she is allergic to so money well spent.

Many animals routinely carry mites, even humans. Mites from human skin poop too. That's partly why we evolved to keep those bits of body hair like eyebrows and lashes. We don't dose our relatives with Advocate or the like because there's generally no problem in healthy individuals.

As for hypoallergenic dogs, you are partly correct. One of my sisters in law was really surprised that she didn't come up with a rash after being licked by my young bichon-cavalier pup since SIL is allergic to the saliva of other relatives' terriers and hounds. The probability of my particular dog's cross presenting a lower allergen risk was why I sought it out given my family circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

My dogs are a low allergy breed. However I have seen people react to them. Crossbreeds can be a hit & miss as you have absolutely no guarantee the cross is as advertised. Afterall they are not going to be reputable breeders.

At the moment I am in bits from what appears already to be hayfever. I have several friends who are the same. I have a dog allergy & react immediately when exposed to the dog breeds in question. It certainly does not take 4 days to develop.

Have you tried the nasal sprays? I am not even sure kids can take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Is it possible the pup has fleas? Just noticed you said you've had it a week and the poor thing is only 8 weeks old now. Is there a chance it wasn't deflea'd correctly?

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Is it possible the pup has fleas? Just noticed you said you've had it a week and the poor thing is only 8 weeks old now. Is there a chance it wasn't deflea'd correctly?

No fleas, she was well looked after and is in perfect condition.

Turns out my son has a viral infection (can't remember, pronounce or spell the name of the virus!) which has nothing to do with the puppy at all! :)

So we just have to get him well and back playing with his new friend asap ........ thanks for all your advise, much appreciated.

Advertisement