Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluorescent tube light problems - help!

Options
  • 09-03-2016 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Any electricians or other lighting expert types out there - I have a standard 1 bulb flourescent tube light in my kitchen. When you switch it on first it works normally for about 5 minutes but then it's flashing on and off in about 2-5 second intervals so not just flickering, it's more like switching it fully off and back on again repeatedly. Change the bulb or starter you say? Both brand new, no change to the bulb/starter that were there before. The unit is around 35 years old. The only other thing that can go wrong with them as far as I know is the ballast but if that goes doesn't the thing just stop working completely?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

You haven't said what length the tube is, if it's an eight foot then scrap it.

Otherwise, even though it's a new starter I would be checking that.

Back in the day we used to carry a box of 25 starters and you would expect a couple of duds in every box.

If you can remove the starter while the fitting is lighting that will tell you.
    Even if the tube covers the starter you should be able to loosen it.

It is unlikely to be a new tube or the ballast.

Could be a faulty lampholder as well, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

Hoagy wrote: »
    You haven't said what length the tube is, if it's an eight foot then scrap it.

Otherwise, even though it's a new starter I would be checking that.

Back in the day we used to carry a box of 25 starters and you would expect a couple of duds in every box.

If you can remove the starter while the fitting is lighting that will tell you.
    Even if the tube covers the starter you should be able to loosen it.

It is unlikely to be a new tube or the ballast.

Could be a faulty lampholder as well, though.

It's a five foot, apologies. If the starter is firing when I first turn it on, is it needed to keep the bulb lit afterwards?

Sorry, don't get from the above, what do I do with the starter while it's lighting, try and remove it? Should I not be able to remove it?

Thanks a mil

Edit* Apologies, I get what you mean now. You can remove the starter without the bulb being removed on this one. I'll get another starter and try that out in that case. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

manatoo wrote: »
    It's a five foot, apologies. If the starter is firing when I first turn it on, is it needed to keep the bulb lit afterwards?

Sorry, don't get from the above, what do I do with the starter while it's lighting, try and remove it? Should I not be able to remove it?

Thanks a mil

Once the lamp is lighting the starter isn't needed, if you can remove it and the light stays on then the starter is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I have 4 x 5' twin fluorescent lights here. I have changed the ballasts in all 4 of them. All went within a few months of each other. All were 7 yrs old. All were doing exactly as the OP describes. They don't make them like they used to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

emeldc wrote: »
    I have 4 x 5' twin fluorescent lights here. I have changed the ballasts in all 4 of them. All went within a few months of each other. All were 7 yrs old. All were doing exactly as the OP describes. They don't make them like they used to ;)

It appears this one isn't finished just yet either. Hoagy's starter remover test worked exactly as described. No problems at all once the starter is taken out. Phew, saved me a loada headaches trying to find a new 35 year old ballast!

Thanks Hoagy, much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement