Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Mobile and Data Signal Booster Options

• 09-03-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys

I moved into a new house and because it is well insulated I can't access the 4g that exists outside. I have read about signal boosters that will work but are illegal. I am looking for a legal solution to harness the 21mb of 4g data that exists outside and in my attic.

There has to be a clever option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

D.O.C wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I moved into a new house and because it is well insulated I can't access the 4g that exists outside. I have read about signal boosters that will work but are illegal. I am looking for a legal solution to harness the 21mb of 4g data that exists outside and in my attic.

There has to be a clever option?

Your previous post indicates that you are looking for a solution for both Voice & Data. Voice is not currently carried on any of the 4G networks in Ireland. Three is by far the most primitive network and is a long way off being able to carry voice on 4G(Volte). Even Eir/Meteor who were the first to launch 4G don't have this. You could make a data solution using an external antenna and WiFi router - but this won't work for voice.

You are perfectly entitled to break your contract since you have no service at home. Just make a formal complaint to Three and follow up with ComReg if necessary. Last resort is Small Claims Court - but your case is very strong and you shouldn't need to go that far. You are totally protected by the Sale of Goods Act which requires that suppliers provide services of merchantable quality. You need to get yourself onto the Eir/Meteor or Vodafone networks - have you checked their coverage in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 D.O.C

bugfreebob wrote: »
    You could make a data solution using an external antenna and WiFi router - but this won't work for voice.

You need to get yourself onto the Eir/Meteor or Vodafone networks - have you checked their coverage in your house?

Thanks bugfreebob

I will certainly check out Meteor or Vodafone, just to get the ball rolling on my research for 'external antennas and wifi routers' for 4g can you give me an example of the hardware, maybe a link to an existing one you know of?

Also you seem savvy with mobile knowhow, can you maybe recommend a solution for my voice issue, along the lines of another antenna maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

D.O.C wrote: »
    Thanks bugfreebob

I will certainly check out Meteor or Vodafone, just to get the ball rolling on my research for 'external antennas and wifi routers' for 4g can you give me an example of the hardware, maybe a link to an existing one you know of?

Also you seem savvy with mobile knowhow, can you maybe recommend a solution for my voice issue, along the lines of another antenna maybe?

For Data - I'm not well up on mobile WiFi routers and antennas as I have good home Broadband and hence I have never needed to research these. However there are loads of threads on Boards with more details on this. Main thing is to find the best place for the antenna with line of sight to your best mobile network. Place the router indoors as near as possible to the antenna, to minimise losses. Max cable length should be 10m .Then use WiFi , Homeplugs or Cat5 cabling to redistribute Ethernet through rest of house.

For Voice - you could try using an Android app such as Smart Call Forwarding. This will detect when you phone is at home (when it sees your WiFi signal) and will automatically forward your incoming calls to your landline. When you leave home it will remove forwarding. This will at least solve your problem for incoming calls. Outgoing calls should be less of a problem as you decide to make them and hence you can either choose to make them on your landline or to go outdoors.

You need a tariff plan that offers free forward ing of calls to landlines - such as Eir mobile. But then - if you change. to Eir, you might find that you get better indoor coverage anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 D.O.C

thanks bugfreebob,

its looking like there is no option to harness the outside signal without ending up with another monthly bill or a criminal record ;)

I appreciate your efforts

Advertisement