Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Is Sue Nunn?

Options
  • 09-03-2016 1:14pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I honestly don't think I've ever listened to the show but found this interesting...

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/03/09/where-is-sue-nunn/
    Sue Nunn presenter of The Sue Nunn show ( 10am to 12pm ) on KCLR (broadcasting to Carlow and Kilkenny) since the station opened in 2004, has been missing from her show without explanation to her listeners.
    Sue took Carers Leave in March 2015 to look after her husband who had terminal cancer. Her husband Clive died at home in July 2015.

She returned to work in September 2015 to find that in her absence, she had been permanently replaced on the show by fill-in presenter John Masterson: a former Late Late show producer, Sunday Independent columnist.

The terms of the Carer’s Leave Act stipulate that after the leave one must be returned to same job held before it.

The CEO of KCLR, John Purcell, is Chairman of the IBI, which represents the independent broadcast sector in Ireland. He is also a director and deputy chairman of Newstalk.

Most interestingly, Purcell is a business partner of John Masterson in Purcell Masterson, a PR company based in Kilkenny which has among its clients…Family Carers Ireland!

Sue is sorely missed by her listeners who have not been told she has been prevented from returning to present her programme.

Meanwhile the latest JNLR figures for the station have shown a significant decline in listenership figures over the last year since Masterson has been presenting the programme.

Seems dodgy if true,

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Seems dodgy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I love Sue. Don't really listen since that guy took over, he's awful. Was fine just about as a stand in but find it incredible they'd willingly hire him long term. I'd say they must have haemorrhaged listeners since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Never a big fan of the station or Sue Nunn (her voice just grates with me) but they deserve failure if they drop presenters popular with the listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Haven't listened to the show in a while, but always found Sue Nunn insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

sue nunn is a dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Agree with the last two posters, but that doesn't give them a right to ignore employment law and her rights (if that is indeed what has happened *).

* "Anon writes:" wouldn't impress me over much as a legitimate source!

I love Sue Nunn and the general concencus is she is a huge loss. No one listens to that Masterson bore, he's useless. And hope KCLR are reading this....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

road_high wrote: »
    I love Sue Nunn and the general concencus is she is a huge loss. No one listens to that Masterson bore, he's useless. And hope KCLR are reading this....

Agree 100%.And I think Naoise Nunn post at 1.45 PM on the broadsheet site helps the story.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/03/09/where-is-sue-nunn/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Good grief, if that's true, it shocking.

She did briefly get another show on Saturday mornings, but that too is not any more.The fella thats on is woefully boring,Edward Hayden.

JM is terrible too, stick to the producing lad.

Not that I listen to the station very much. :P..........too much bloody sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

John M is boring and arrogant, cuts across people all the time, shouldnt be on kclr, and Edward Hayden is worse, i turn off radio when they are on, time for a change or they will lose out big time, and dont get me started on what they call news cover, at week-ends 3 0 clock is cut of point for local news, regardless of whats happening around the 2 counties

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I am on carers leave and my employers couldn't be nicer about it. I find what KCLR have done to be totally repulsive.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Sorry, this isn't a news story: it's an anonymous campaign began by somebody with an agenda.

Is there any truth in the original article? Is Sue Nunn saying anything? Is there legal proceedings or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Mankbag wrote: »
    Sorry, this isn't a news story: it's an anonymous campaign began by somebody with an agenda.

I'm inclined to agree. I would take the whole thing with a pinch of salt until I see some proper reporting on it, and not the trash linked to above.

Think the story is bona fide (heard there was something odd from a friend of hers). Sue is a Carlow Kilkenny institution so only right its news here.

Think the story is bona fide (heard there was something odd from a friend of hers). Sue is a Carlow Kilkenny institution so only right its news here.

Sorry, she's a woman who used to have a morning programme on local radio. That's all. No offence to her, but we're not talking about John McGuinness or Brian Cody here.

Also, given the requirement on her to be impartial, it's not as though she was politically influential in any way. She was a conduit, nothing more.

All of that said, it is to be hoped that her employers have treated her in a manner both legal and ethical.

Sorry, she's a woman who used to have a morning programme on local radio. That's all. No offence to her, but we're not talking about John McGuinness or Brian Cody here.

Also, given the requirement on her to be impartial, it's not as though she was politically influential in any way. She was a conduit, nothing more.

All of that said, it is to be hoped that her employers have treated her in a manner both legal and ethical.

And John McGuinness most certainly isn't...an overpaid actor who tells people want to hear but achieves nothing much. Ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

And John McGuinness most certainly isn't...an overpaid actor who tells people want to hear but achieves nothing much. Ever
    The difference is though the public have voted in John as a public representative whereas Sue was a company employee.

If her employment rights have been compromised then I hope she gets justice but other than that there'll be plenty more willing to fill her role and some may even do a more impartial job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Ah now we all know John and family work overtime for the good of us locals ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You lost all credibility when you mentioned McGuinness :pac:

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    You lost all credibility when you mentioned McGuinness :pac:

Tsk. How dare you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Concerning an article in yesterday’s Sunday Times:
    So Sue Me....

I see your man Masterson making threats about anyone damaging his good name....well listen here pal, you're awful, you can't present a radio show to save your life, and you're haemorrhaging listeners which just proves the above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Is she automatically entitled to be put back on her morning show on return after the tragic passing of her husband. Obviously in her absence someone had to present the show. It sounds like they have offered her alternative slot and due to issues over production she turned it down. If this is accurate what more were they required to do. Schedules and slots at radio stations are subject to periodic review I imagine.
    Sue Nunn going public with her grievance is unlikely to help further the situation for her. It looks like she is trying to embarass the station and its owners. Hardly conducive to an amicable solution.

holyhead wrote: »
    Is she automatically entitled to be put back on her morning show on return after the tragic passing of her husband. Obviously in her absence someone had to present the show. It sounds like they have offered her alternative slot and due to issues over production she turned it down. If this is accurate what more were they required to do. Schedules and slots at radio stations are subject to periodic review I imagine.
    Sue Nunn going public with her grievance is unlikely to help further the situation for her. It looks like she is trying to embarass the station and its owners. Hardly conducive to an amicable solution.

Yeah, they can offer her an equal position if her role is not there when she returns. It sound like the same position was not offered. i.e the production was no longer in her control.

I'd say she is fighting for her position that she held before hand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I see your man Masterson making threats about anyone damaging his good name....well listen here pal, you're awful, you can't present a radio show to save your life, and you're haemorrhaging listeners which just proves the above...

Yeah spotted that yesterday,

The station really need to make an official comment, this whole thing seems rather iffy

Laughably pompous response from Masterson. Typical of a former RTE functionary with notions about himself. And you're right, he's absolutely awful on the radio - dismissive, arrogant and no real grip of his subject matter.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah spotted that yesterday,

The station really need to make an official comment, this whole thing seems rather iffy
    Yep, "we're not prepared to tell our side of the story, but if the coverage is unbalanced we'll sue!" sounds like they know they're on shaky ground tbh.

Yep, "we're not prepared to tell our side of the story, but if the coverage is unbalanced we'll sue!" sounds like they know they're on shaky ground tbh.

Even if they are not on shaky ground and are 100% within the law then surely it makes sense for them to state that they have broken no laws and what they have done is legal?

• Advertisement

Of course it would, which is why the fact that they're not doing that is inclined to raise eyebrows ...

Advertisement