Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separation - who to see first.

• 09-03-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

People, I have decided to call it a day with my marriage.
    I need a preliminary chat just to outline my options. With all the experience on here should it be the family solicitor or a specialized family law solicitor. ?
    Please don't advise counselling - I'm way beyond that.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

My suggestion, get a recommendation for a good Family Law practitioner and seek advice. If option exists for you and your partner then I would look at mediation as a way of trying to manage the breakup amicably

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

I would advise a family law practitioner. I now know this from experience. I would also be wary of mediation, again due to my own experience.

I found the mediation service leaned very heavily in my wife's favour. This may have been because I'd checked out of the marriage and I was the one requesting separation without counselling. I was therefore the 'bad-guy'. It may have been because she was better at painting me as the villain. In any case I did not find them to be impartial.

I left my marriage feeling guilty, despite years of emotional and physical abuse from my ex. I gave her a stupidly generous settlement and it has taken me 10 years to recover.

Fight your corner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thanks all. I agree, using an experienced solicitor is vital. I'm a little wary of professionals who tend to see dollar signs in your eyes but I'll persevere.

cheers.

Advertisement