Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mossad get stuck in the mud in Germany.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mossad losing their touch. In the old days they would have garroted the mayor and all the fireman before making their escape in the fire engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Driving a Ford Focus into a muddy field, I thought these guys are supposed to be the best in the world?!

I'm surprised the German police let them on their way with guns in hand. I don't think the Israelis would be reciprocating if they caught armed German spies in their own backyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

And they say the Germans haven't got a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hitler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Something doesn't add up here at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why would they be spying on their allies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

NIMAN wrote: »

The same reason any country, or company, spies. To get information/technology that they aren't supposed to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Are you really that naive? :confused:

Everyone is spying on everyone. Hi NSA. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Everyone spies on their allies unless they have an agreement not to. The most well know agreement would be the 5 eyes one of the US, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Driving a Ford Focus into a muddy field, I thought these guys are supposed to be the best in the world?!

I'm surprised the German police let them on their way with guns in hand. I don't think the Israelis would be reciprocating if they caught armed German spies in their own backyard.
    Yeah very strange, I wonder did they notify any higher ups?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Liberosis

Am I the only one who thinks that €1200 is a hefty bill for getting your car towed!

Del2005 wrote: »
    The same reason any country, or company, spies. To get information/technology that they aren't supposed to get.

They just ask their big cousins the Americans for it

Muahahaha wrote: »

Mossad carried out a hit on Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh in Dubai in 2010. 26 suspects were identified from CCTV and put on Interpol's most wanted list. They were travelling on fake passports, some of them Irish.

Some of the 26 people might have been included in error but lets say that half that number is accurate, 13 agents to kill one person? And be dumb enough to get caught on CCTV.

Hardly the work of the best spies in the world.

Now the Irish Secret Service, they are really good. When was the last time one of them got caught on a mission. :pac:

Liberosis wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that €1200 is a hefty bill for getting your car towed!

Not if it's being towed from Germany to Israel. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Mossad aren't really the people to be annoying by sending them bills. They could slit your throat and make it look like a shaving accident.

EDIT: I love Mossad. I also need to shave. I don't want to have any nicks. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How would papers from a foreign government allow its agents to carry guns in another country?
    Alerting the police, officers arrived on the scene to discover that the pair had driven their car into mud and could not get it out again. The spies then revealed to the law enforcement officers that they were acting on the authority of the Israeli government, supplying the papers that proved they were allowed to carry weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Did they give the german police the address of their secret Head quarters? Pfft....amateurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

How would papers from a foreign government allow its agents to carry guns in another country?

Probably attached to the embassy, diplomatic immunity I presume.

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    Probably attached to the embassy, diplomatic immunity I presume.

Yeah, another news article says that they had "diplomatic status" from the Israeli government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

What are you doing here?

We're spying on ye.

Oh, ok.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

Have to say, the woman who rumbled them would be a good spy herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Mossad carried out a hit on Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh in Dubai in 2010. 26 suspects were identified from CCTV and put on Interpol's most wanted list. They were travelling on fake passports, some of them Irish.

Some of the 26 people might have been included in error but lets say that half that number is accurate, 13 agents to kill one person? And be dumb enough to get caught on CCTV.

Hardly the work of the best spies in the world.

Now the Irish Secret Service, they are really good. When was the last time one of them got caught on a mission. :pac:

I think Patrick Bergin and his brother ran into a bit of bother back in the early 90's while on a mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Bill is based on the size and wealth of the organization being billed, Herr Deissmen wouldn't be charged the same ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I can see that I did well that year a local farmer towed me out of the carpark at electric picnic for 30 beans. It didn't feel like it at the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I can see that I did well that year a local farmer towed me out of the carpark at electric picnic for 30 beans. It didn't feel like it at the time though.

Was probably the same year I was there in that case, that chap must have made a killing as I was dragged out by him also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Weren't mossad lads rumbled here in 2005?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Hollywood already looking into making a movie about this. The working title is 'from Prussia with shove'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This is from the organisation that captured Eichmann...............

"Undercover and seemingly under orders from the Israeli government to report on a new German submarine that was making its maiden voyage through the Kiel Canal, the Mossad spies drove their rented Ford Focus into a field which had been marked with an ‘Entrance Forbidden’ post, according to NDR.

Alerting the police, officers arrived on the scene to discover that the pair had driven their car into mud and could not get it out again. The spies then revealed to the law enforcement officers that they were acting on the authority of the Israeli government, supplying the papers that proved they were allowed to carry weapons."
    http://www.newstalk.com/German-mayor-issues-bill-to-Israel-after-rescuing-armed-spies-stuck-in-the-mud

I'd imagine much humour in Israel from this though.

Weren't mossad lads rumbled here in 2005?

forgot to take the turn off the m50 and ended up 75 miles away asking directions at a halting site......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Speculation. The lads just identified themselves as Israeli diplomats, it was the locals who labelled them as Mossad agents. Best of luck getting that invoice collected, seeing as it'd be an admittance that they were working on behalf of the intelligence agency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Especially when it was some farmer who used his tractor to get them out.

....or was it because it was a farmer using his tractor?

#ruralcontroversy

Hollywood already looking into making a movie about this. The working title is 'from Prussia with shove'

'Muckraker'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Who were you spying on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

'Muckraker'

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Farmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

In the article, it says that the fire brigade had to be called and they all have to be paid individually as they're volunteers. I'd say the tractor probably didn't manage to get them out so they had to get the fire engine with a winch. Reminds me of when I got my little tractor bogged down, called a guy with a bigger tractor, which got bogged down and then had to get the even bigger tractor to tow us both out. Could happen to a bishop spy :o

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Farmer.

Tractor, Trailer, Farmer, Spy

Shrap wrote: »
    In the article, it says that the fire brigade had to be called and they all have to be paid individually as they're volunteers. I'd say the tractor probably didn't manage to get them out so they had to get the fire engine with a winch. Reminds me of when I got my little tractor bogged down, called a guy with a bigger tractor, which got bogged down and then had to get the even bigger tractor to tow us both out. Could happen to a bishop spy :o

Says in the article that the Fire Brigade came first:
    The local fire brigade, and then a farmer and his tractor, were called to help dig the men out of the hole in which they found themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Says in the article that the Fire Brigade came first:

Oh, so it does. Damn, shows how crappy speed reading is. I notice I also got it wrong about the payment - it only says that individuals have to pay the firefighting volunteers (but you can imagine that was a fairly hefty bill).

Trying to imagine the scenario then. Maybe the fire truck couldn't use their winch in the space they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You could not make this up.Like something Ted and Dougal would do.They got their car stuck in the mud while spying on a new German submarine.Had to be rescued by a local farmer and fire brigade.They are now being billed by the local Mayor.

http://www.newstalk.com/German-mayor-issues-bill-to-Israel-after-rescuing-armed-spies-stuck-in-the-mud

That's very hurtful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Everyone is spying on everyone. Hi NSA. :)
    Hi!

RustyNut wrote: »
    Who were you spying on?

His other half's sister

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm still wondering what the submarine was doing in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Gatling wrote: »
    His other half's sister

A bit like the sub is she. Goes down well so to speak.....

It sounds a little...madey uppy?

Like, Mossad agents announcing they are Mossad agents and a bill going to Mossad?

As someone else said, at a push, maybe diplomats...but Mossad?

Like, Mossad agents announcing they are Mossad agents and a bill going to Mossad?

I know what you mean, but do diplomats normally carry guns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

They deemed it necessary to carry firearms and were authorised to do so at whatever they were doing. They're something...

Edit: I've been onto my German sources, here's what happened according to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung which is a very reputable paper tbf.
    The guy s were actually Mossad and were supposed to overview early stages of a U-Boot transfer from Germany to Israel. A U-Boot Israel ordered and paid for and them overviewing the thing was in agreement with the German authorities. So they weren't actually spying as such. But they got stuck in the mud all the same and got the bill, too. Not that dear for a fire brigade and extra tractor services but weird that the German partner spies wouldn't pay for it. The Israelis must have p*****d them off or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You'll find most spies work out of embassies for obvious reasons. Sure they were lowly diplomats, who just happened to have guns

tricky D wrote: »
    Hi!

I'd just like to say I clicked on that link by mistake.

I know what you mean, but do diplomats normally carry guns?

The story doesn't actually say they were carrying guns, it says they produced papers which showed they were entitled to be armed. There is no description of the guns, who saw them (ie was it the person who said they saw them or the police), why they were allowed to walk away with them after waving a piece of paper etc.

Boskowskis take is a lot more...believeable and less Keystone Kops

• Advertisement
Advertisement