Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - UCC/Carmel Lynch Memorial 10k - Sunday 3rd April 2016 at 11.00 a.m.

Options
  • 09-03-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

2012/13/14 thread
    2015 thread

The only 10k on the Cork BHAA calendar is coming up on April 3rd. Race HQ is UCC's Western Gateway building as before & the course will be almost the same as to last year except the start/finish might move slightly by ~150m to avoid the many exits from the Kingsley hotel that's just before the old finish line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

opus wrote:
    The only 10k on the

At the moment.....

Missed this last year, so I'm looking forward to it this year. I've never raced a 10K so it's a guaranteed PB! My only concern is its two weeks before the Great Railway 25k but I'll give it a lash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

The mile markers are down on the route now, for anyone who's run it in the past, this is a pic of the 6 mile marker on the new route which is a turn into the Lee Fields just after the little carpark with the finish just before the back of the Kingsley hotel.

oshl5d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Interesting, I thought they had just moved the finish line further out the straight road.

That's a narrow enough path, hopefully there won't be congestion in the run in.

Here's the updated map of the route, not a huge change to be honest, start will be slightly further down the Mardyke to make up the distance.

jt728w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Think I'll use this as the starting point to my official annual fitness drive. Usually a decent sized turnout, easier for those of us with a beer belly to blend in!

• Advertisement

Well that was tough. Used up all my energy on the hills at the start and felt like I was struggling home for the last 2 miles. Pace dropped on the straight road where I had hoped to make up some time. I was hoping to run it in under 42, but ended up a few seconds over that. Good event though and a great spread afterwards - the hot chicken looked good.

Glad you enjoyed it. All looked to have gone well today, the weather played ball with us! Didn't hear the final numbers yet.

I had the pleasure of accompanying the endurance legend and wheelchair athlete that is Jerry Forde around the course on my bike. After he told me he did the Listowel marathon yesterday, felt compelled to head out in the afternoon and run the course myself, weather wasn't as kind to me the second time round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Well that was tough. Used up all my energy on the hills at the start and felt like I was struggling home for the last 2 miles. Pace dropped on the straight road where I had hoped to make up some time. I was hoping to run it in under 42, but ended up a few seconds over that. Good event though and a great spread afterwards - the hot chicken looked good.

Run this most years and generally find it tough like you say. After a quick first two miles the incline on the Lee Road is energy sapping and the run in the straight road becomes a slog.

Results & lots of photos on the Running in Cork blog here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

found it tough also second long hill was killer, i was hoping to do it in 55 mins but didn't it just over 51 so well happy. 42 mins is some pace :)

• Advertisement

At the moment.....

Missed this last year, so I'm looking forward to it this year. I've never raced a 10K so it's a guaranteed PB! My only concern is its two weeks before the Great Railway 25k but I'll give it a lash anyway.

Are there plans for more 10k?

etoughguy wrote: »
    Are there plans for more 10k?

None on the BHAA calendar as far as I know but the Emer Casey 10k in Youghal towards the end of May is good, missing it myself this year unfortunately.

Just remembered the Great Railway run has a 10k option as well this year as well as the 25k & 5k on April 17th.

Not quite a 10k, but the BHAA Pfizer 6 mile is on May 11th. Have a look here for races around Cork:

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/p/calendar.html

Not quite a 10k, but the BHAA Pfizer 6 mile is on May 11th. Have a look here for races around Cork:

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/p/calendar.html

sound ill take a look

Just got my t-shirt from winning one of the team prizes - I had to leave before they were given out on Sunday. Another one to add to my collection!! Very nice. That's a tin of biscuits, a giant gear bag and a t shirt this year already.

Advertisement