Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard Broke - New Parts Required.

Options
  • 09-03-2016 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hello. After running into problems with my self build PC I need to purchase new parts to fix the problem. My PC now no longer boots up after being turned off for a number of hours as described in the thread I posted in the Computers Help Forum about a week ago.

Here's the link to my problem.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057567005

Parts I have in my PC at the moment are as follows.
    AsRock H87M PRO4
    i5 4440, 3.1gnz, 6gm cache, LGA 1150 socket.
    Ballistix 2x 4GB DDR3 PC3 12800 CL9 1.5v RAM
    Crucial M500 120GB 2.5inch SSD - Windows 7 installed on this.
    CX500M PSU
    GigaByte GeForce GTX 760 2048MB GDDR5 GPU
    DVD CD Drive
    500gb HDD

I would like to replace the motherboard, case and fans as my PC sounded like a tornado. For the case I'm looking for something with plenty of dust filters and plenty of space for cable management at the back of the case behind the motherboard. I do like the look of the Fractal Design arc mini R2 however I think the GPU may be too long for this one so I'm looking for similar recommendations.

I'm looking for a good quality motherboard. I'm also looking at the possibility as I need to replace thermal paste on the CPU anyway of installing an after market CPU cooler but I'm unsure if it's needed. The games I play are really only World of Tanks and besiege and the very rare fps.

My budget is around 300 euros but to be honest I'd like to pay less. I would like a good quality motherboard but other than than I'm not too pushed. I'd be happy if it came in way less than my budget. I'd like quite fans so that I can lower the volume compared to what my PC sounded like before it broke. Could you also recommend where to purchase the parts as the past I bought them off seems to have gone bust.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I would like to replace the motherboard, case and fans as my PC sounded like a tornado.

The noise more than likely came from the CPU cooler and / or the graphics card. So nothing to do with mobo, case and case fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

unkel wrote: »
    The noise more than likely came from the CPU cooler and / or the graphics card. So nothing to do with mobo, case and case fans!
    Sorry worded that badly, looking to definitely replace the case / mobo. Thought the fans were what was causing me problems. I'm using the stock cpu cooler and may upgrade to an after market if it's recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There is nothing wrong with the make or model of that motherboard, if it's faulty just get it replaced for free with an RMA.
    Get in contact with Asrock and explain hardwareversand no longer exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

If not above.

Just to get ball rolling. You don't need the z board but you may as well. 84 euro.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K8KLW3G/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1457554591&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Z97&dpPl=1&dpID=51lV8taV6HL&ref=plSrch#

Case wise you want a small one?

Or if not a big deal. Get the fractal r5. Good all rounder about 104ish amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q2Z11QE/?tag=#

tuxy wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the make or model of that motherboard, if it's faulty just get it replaced for free with an RMA.
    Get in contact with Asrock and explain hardwareversand no longer exist.

I'm not familiar with the RMA process or term really, I was looking on their website and it says they offer 1 year to an authorized dealer. I bought this way back in 2014 and am unsure if hardwareversand is authorized. You're right it's worth an email and I guess the worst they could say is no.
    If not above.

Just to get ball rolling. You don't need the z board but you may as well. 84 euro.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K8KLW3G/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1457554591&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Z97&dpPl=1&dpID=51lV8taV6HL&ref=plSrch#

Case wise you want a small one?

Or if not a big deal. Get the fractal r5. Good all rounder about 108 amazon.

Cheers will take a look at those if I've no joy with AsRock.

I've a matx case at the moment and I like the size but it was a horrible experience putting the cables in for me as I wasn't very experienced and had to take the whole thing apart 2 times before getting the cables in. Fairly cramped in the inside too and collects a fair bit of dust coming in from top. So I'd like to get a new case as I'll be taking the mobo out regardless.

If stepping up to a bigger case means betting cable options, more space at the back to put cables I'd be happy to go for one. I want to make sure I've enough length on the cables from the psu etc. It's going to go on top of a desk so I like the matx size but I guess they each have their trade offs. If there's a combo between size / dust filters, cable space I'd be interested in learning more about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Have a look see.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PN4WWH2/?tag=#

Might have what you need for gpu size etc space but smaller form.

No DVD slot or card reader. Anyway read up on it while you rma.

I've looked into RMA the motherboard. I'm on the hook for shipping both ways and then a service fee. Motherboard is outside the manufacturers warranty as they only provide 1 year. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be worth it.

I've been looking into cases more and I noticed I kept on getting the Arc Mini R2 & Arc Midi R2 confused. Arc Midi R2 seems to be what I was looking for, dust filters & plenty of space for cable management. Plenty of space too with the ability to remove the middle 3.5inch bays so I've plenty of room for my GPU. It also comes with 3x 140mm fans.

Specs
    http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/arc-series/arc-midi-r2

Since I'm going to be removing the cpu fan for cleaning between swaping motherboards is it worth me considering the Cooler Master Hyper 212?

Also then open to motherboard suggestions, I had a look there at the MSI Z97 posted there but don't know if it'll fit as the midi is a mid tower? Any alternatives? Maybe a matx? I just want there to be enough pins for the fans and the case connections etc. Will my psu be enough to power all the new parts?

Also where's everyone buying these days; is it mindfactory? was looking on there and it seems decently priced, no idea how much the shipping is though.

Get the Hyper 212 if you want less noise at full cpu load. It will come with thermal paste. If you want to reuse the intel cooler just buy some paste, any make will do.

Midi tower cases will support full ATX, Mini ATA and ITX. MATA cases will support mini ATX and ITX
    That MSI board has 1 cpu fan header and 3 system fan headers.

Your system won't be using any extra power from a motherboard swap and fan power usage is so low it's not worth taking into consideration so the 500 watt will be more than enough.

Bought the CM Hyper 212 evo today with CM E1 Essential thermal compound.

So just to the reconfirm before I order:

Amazon.co.uk
    MSI Z87 PC Mate
    Windows 7 64 Bit- http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S1A37Q0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7GEXWG4WWF8D&coliid=I1CCMAGN7KQZXQ

Mindfactory
    fractal Design Arc Midi R2

1)The windows 7 link is what I need to do a CD install of windows and get a key with it right?

2)I understand that I need to move the SSD across. Disconnect HDD and only have SSD plugged it. Open BIOS and change bios to boot from CD drive and then install windows on the SSD. I'm wondering how do I move the HDD across? Is it literally just plug and play or do I need to wipe it or something. I came across articles online but they all seem to have their OS on them so it's different to move across etc. Help here is appreciated.

Other than that I think I'm good to go, any last minute suggestions or parts I should be looking at? Cheers.

You got exta paste? I did say the 212 evo comes with paste but no harm it can be handy to have some extra.

You can get windows 7 much cheaper than that.
    http://www.kinguin.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/

If you're happy to make a usb image or cd yourself
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Id recommend a usb install if you have a memory stick it's much faster but cd install is fine too.

You can have as many hard drives as you as you want attached while installing just be sure to select the ssd during the windows setup. Any drive that's previously been used in a windows system will show up automatically. If not you can just activate it in disk manager.

I think that should be everything you need to get your system up and running again. Loads of guides on websites and youtube if you're unsure of anything.

• Advertisement

Apparently Microsoft won't let you download win7 from their site with an oem key so here's an alternative site.
    http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
    oem keys will work with the correct iso from those torrent links.

Figures as they want everyone on windows 10
    You can buy an oem Windows 10 key from kinguin and download from the official Microsoft site here.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Yeah I picked up some thermal paste with the 212 evo, it's my first time using it so I wanted to have a backup really incase I make a balls of the installation.

Going to go the CD route it's what I did before so I don't want to rock the boat too much.

So the HDD should just show up after I install windows on the SSD and plug it in without me having to do anything to it besides if it doesn't show up originally to just activate it in the disk manager?

The Key with the CD will still work though even though Microsoft don't have the download link on their website?

Also thanks to yourself and others for all your help here, thanks for putting up with my questions. Cheers.

Advertisement