Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way to Get Landline VoIP With Only a Wifi Connection

Options
  • 09-03-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I have a small business and require a geographical phone number. I have access to broadband but only wifi, the wired broadband connection is controlled by others.

I spoke with Blueface and they advised that they require a wired broadband connection to use their landline package and that wifi alone would not be adequate.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get a geographical number and use a landline off wifi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Two things:
    1. Most ATAs will use ethernet, wifi doesnt make sense as its too prone to problems.
    2. Even with a wireless ATA theres a good chance you'll need to forward a SIP port if UPnP is off, not controlling the router means you're SOL here.

If you cant get your own connection pay Skype for a phone number, that way you can bounce the connection via an MS server and avoid technical limitations. Bear in mind using wifi for VOIP does leave you very open to losing a call every time the lad at the next desk decides to download a file.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

ED E wrote: »
    Two things:
    1. Most ATAs will use ethernet, wifi doesnt make sense as its too prone to problems.
    2. Even with a wireless ATA theres a good chance you'll need to forward a SIP port if UPnP is off, not controlling the router means you're SOL here.

If you cant get your own connection pay Skype for a phone number, that way you can bounce the connection via an MS server and avoid technical limitations. Bear in mind using wifi for VOIP does leave you very open to losing a call every time the lad at the next desk decides to download a file.

Thanks for that. I'll try Skype and if that does not work I'll bite the bullet and get a hard line put in.

Advertisement