Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are our rental property ads so poor?

Options
  • 09-03-2016 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

I was looking at otodom.pl, which is like the Polish version of Daft. What strikes me is how much more information there is in the listings. On Daft here, you generally get the price, street name, bedrooms/baths, and maybe some pictures which may or may not be useful. The description usually doesn't contain much. But look at an otodom listing:
    WJ5iZlP.png

Basically, it tells you things like
    • rent
    • number of rooms(2)
    • the square footage
    • the deposit amount
    • the 'additional charge'- I think this is for heating/waste collection etc.
    • that the windows(okna) are 'plastic'
    • the year the building was built(2000)
    • some details on the building construction(mostly missing in this ad though, marked as 'inne'- other)
    • the heating system
    • whether they will take students
    • the level of furnishing (do zamieszkania - 'to live in')
    • the presence of stuff like a fridge, washing machine, balcony, basement
    • the floor it's on(in this case, ground) and how many there are (3)

In addition, there were about 6 photos, and a full paragraph of further information(which my Polish skills are not up to translating).

Basically, lots of information, whereas here you would probably have to go to a viewing to ascertain everything, and ask questions. Most ads on otodom I saw were this detailed. It seems a much better system than here, it would save a lot of time for both people showing the place, and people travelling around the city to view them. In particular, I never see square footage in rental ads here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The title should probably be: 'Why don't our ads have sq ft'. In my case it did. If it has a BER cert like it should then it will. The rest of the information that you say is there is in the majority of rental ads on daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

American ads tend to have that much detail too. Not sure whether it's just industry norms or legal requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Sale ads here are generally equally sloppy:

Pictures of only a couple of rooms, taken on a mobile phone, in the dark, with a minimal resolution/size, from the most ridiculous angles, frequently with garbage floating around, (alternatively last year's Christmas decorations), zoomed in to show, say, a bed rather than the room it's in.

Copy/paste jobs (all houses are in a most sought after location, and deceptively spacious).

Spelling mistakes flourishing.

Feet incorrectly converted to cm.

No floor plans, or floor plans not drawn to scale.

No mention of management fees, etc.

Etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

That's partially driven by the websites being poor and allowing adds to be created with very little or no information. It's these things called databases, input validation and search engines that yet have to make their way to majority of Irish websites.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The pictures are dire. Either a zoomed up picture of the corner of a room or else those super lying pics where there's an ultra wide angle lens making a 10ft by 10ft room look like a basketball court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Irish Landlords spend about 30 seconds clicking the boxes on daft.ie and throw in 2/3 lines.There is zero point doing a proper ad. I know from experience, potential tenants very rarely read the description and will email asking you questions. That are actually answered on the ad eg how many does it sleep, is it furnished, how many bathrooms

Why would a landlord bother spending 15/20 mins on a proper ad, when tenants just never read them anyway?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The area of the apartment is sorely missing here. The pictures are taken by a dog I can only assume. That's if there are any pictures at all.
    There seems to be some sort of technophopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's not just rentals that are bad. The amount of sale listings that don't even have a simple floor plan is beyond me. It's actually more of a surprise when it does have one! Surely that's a very basic thing? How are you supposed to get an idea for the place if you don't know the layout, particularly when they don't usually put up pictures of every room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Im just thankful if there are pictures at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A large portion of people in the housing game would, I suspect, be the older generation who have a hard time opening a word document nevermind uploading a floor plan, due to this a lot of the market is based on viewings/phone calls not really using the potential of these websites.

If we had a load of 21yo's selling property I'm sure you'd get a walking tour video, but unfortunately we don't.

Rental wise they also don't need to give two sh1ts in many areas, they'll have the hand bitten off them either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Ireland has a crazy amount of aged, reluctant landlords who don't have a clue what they're doing, and very little regulation of the rental market. No surprises that you see so many crap ads, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Because, for the most part, they don't have to. Due to demand, people will still come for the most part. IMO, forcing them by law & fines will be the only way.

Irish apartments are generally tiny so unless they are exceptionally large its not in the landlords interest to mention the size. Also the rental market is quite hot at present so they will let without much effort.

On the other hand, the irish property sales sites are quite good compared to their continental equivalents. Have a look at immoweb.be for comparison....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Same when compared to here in Germany. Here you get a much more detailed spec, with cost with and without amenities included, size, number of rooms, build year as standard and type of heating plus most will include the layout plans as well. Here is an example.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Now that is an ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

You're also forgetting the way we are.
    Don't give too much away and don't be too nosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Now that is an ad.

It's also a proper apartment where you could happily live in and not 3 bland boxes on the third floor

Im just thankful if there are pictures at all.

With things so mad at the moment and every ad getting a barrage of calls I've heard from more than one person that some people purposely don't put up pics in order to reduce the number of people calling. Last time I had a room spare In the houseshare I'm in I didn't put up pics and got a person no bother. I got lots of calls but definitely think probably half the hounding I'd have got with pics as lots of people including myself wouldn't bother ringing an ad that didn't have pics.

Just to add I'd planned to but up the pics in the evening after placing the ad in the morning but I'd enough people lined up already that I never bothered and I gave the room to one of the first callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It could be worse. they could come with poetry like this English sales ad.
    1zudfa.png
    https://www.relocation-agent-network.co.uk/property-details.aspx?type=s&aid=36649&ppg=9&pid=281991&agt=36649

Advertisement