Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managed switch with 10BASE-T autonegotation?

Options
  • 09-03-2016 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Here's an odd one:

I'm looking for a cheap-ish managed switch that supports auto-negotiation AND has the ability to limit the maximum speed negotiated to 10BASE-T. All the ones I'm familiar with let you either force 10BASE-T or auto-negotiate to the highest available speed only.

Why do I want to do this? I'm using wiring that is only rated for 10BASE-T and is awkward to replace. Right now, I hard-code ports to 10BASE-T and this works okay but results in a half-duplex connection which is limiting the maximum throughput available. I'd prefer to run full duplex which would give a 10-20% boost.

Forcing 10BASE-T full duplex on the switch doesn't work - the remote end will default to 10BASE-T half-duplex when autonegotiation fails. (It works in that you can get traffic too, but throughput drops to about half because of the collisions etc.)

The simple solution would be to hardcode both ends of the link to 10BASE-T full duplex; unfortunately, I don't have control of what's plugged into the far end. (We're replacing some of our existing switches soon which is the main reason I'm looking at this now.)

I believe some of the more expensive Ciscos can do this (running IOS 12.2+). Anyone seen a cheaper option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

depends on the switch. You want one with a command structure like

speed auto 10
    duplex auto

So that it offers 10 during the negotiation.

thinking along the lines of a procurve 2530, 24 port fast ethernet

Seems a waste to be buying 100mbps switching at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

The ProCurve 2530 looks like it will do nicely. The text-based menu system supports "Auto-10" mode for each port which is auto-negotiation limited to 10 Mbps, exactly what I'm looking for - thanks!

There's some reasonable value on 2nd hand units on eBay as well, so I'll see about snagging one and trying it out.

I agree about 100BASE-T, but ... no budget for upgrades so needs must!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tenshot wrote: »
    The ProCurve 2530 looks like it will do nicely. The text-based menu system supports "Auto-10" mode for each port which is auto-negotiation limited to 10 Mbps, exactly what I'm looking for - thanks!

There's some reasonable value on 2nd hand units on eBay as well, so I'll see about snagging one and trying it out.

I agree about 100BASE-T, but ... no budget for upgrades so needs must!

On a curious level, have you simply left a more modern 1gig switch at auto on the ports. My understanding is that it will probably end up negotiating a 10mb full duplex link if the cabling is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

For the benefit of Google searchers who stumble upon this older thread: latest update is here.

Advertisement