Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To boil or not to boil

Options
  • 09-03-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Relative newbie to the homebrewing and currently waiting for my latest batch of Craft IPA to condition before I start guzzling. Based on previous advice I've kept the heatmat well away this time so hopeful for a better result.

Reckon I'm ready to break out and start experimenting but I'm confused as to whether or not boiling the LME is required. Any of the kits I've used so far don't call for boiling save for adding a few litres of boiling water (I assumed to help dissolve the LME) at the start and I know the instructions from here are don't follow the kit instructions. However, if I want to play around with adding different hops at different points this requires boiling which brings me back to square one!

I've looked up the different threads on this site and many refer to boiling the wort but others don't so thoroughly confused.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you want to impart bitterness and flavour from hops, you need to boil. There are various hackjob ways of boiling a proportion of the LME with the hops and adding it to the kit mix, but to be brutally honest I think they're a waste of effort. If you want to experiment with recipes then you have passed the point where kits are any good to you. Make full- or partial-boil extract beers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

This Excel file was made by a lad over at Aussiehomebrewer.com (a recommended site), I found it very useful when I was doing Extract brews.

Advertisement