Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Options in USA

Options
  • 09-03-2016 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Heading to the States for a few weeks this Summer and wondering what the best option for bringing money and spending it is. I have a Visa Debit but from what I read it is necessary to have a major credit card over there too?

What have folks found is the best way to pay for expenses such as hotels, restaurants, shopping etc whilst over there, and does anyone know the transaction fees involved and how to minimise them?

Thanks in advance,

CA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Heading to the States for a few weeks this Summer and wondering what the best option for bringing money and spending it is. I have a Visa Debit but from what I read it is necessary to have a major credit card over there too?

What have folks found is the best way to pay for expenses such as hotels, restaurants, shopping etc whilst over there, and does anyone know the transaction fees involved and how to minimise them?

Thanks in advance,

CA

Please go to the bargains alerts forum and read about revolut card.

This will be best option for you.

Page one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Your Irish debit card will work fine for day to day purchases. You don't have to have a credit card to pay for a meal in a restaurant or go shopping.

Tell your bank you are going away, so that they don't freeze your debit card. If they see its being used out of the county, they may presume its been stolen & freeze your account.

Check what the daily ATM withdrawal limit is. Some of the banks limit it to a certain amount per day, if you are traveling outside the Eurozone. Withdrawing cash from US ATM machine can have high transaction fees. Your Irish bank may not charge a withdrawal fee, but the owner of the ATM in the States will. Bank of America charge me $5 per withdrawal, to withdraw money using my AIB debit card, so limit your withdrawls & take out the max you can, if you want to avoid those fees.

If you are renting cars and paying for hotels, contact the hotel and car rental agency and check their debit card policies. Some hotels won't take them at all, just credit cards. Some will, but will put a large hold on your card, in case you damage your room, steal the bathrobes, rack up big, room service, restaurant bills on top of your accommodation etc etc. Some will put a hold equivilant to one nights stay. They'll release the funds when you check out, but it can take several days for the funds to be in your account again.

Some car rental agencies don't take debit cards at all. Some will, but will put a large hold on the car. They'll remove it, when you return the car undamaged. But like the hotel holds, it can take several days for the money to be back in your account.

There is no one universal debit card policy, that all hotels and car rental companies follow. So you'll need to contact your one in particular (or look it up on their website) and make your plans accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

ATM's generally charge around $3 per transaction. Any Irish debit card will work fine on them.

You should ask for cashback at the supermarket instead. They don't charge a fee. Sometimes you don't even need to make a purchase. Wallmart let me get $100 with no fee. Pity I found this out at the end of a month long road trip about $60 worth of atm fees later.

Bring 3 types of cash.

1. Physical dollars
    2. Debit card loaded up.
    3. An post currency card. http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Foreign+Exchange/Choose+the+PostFX+MasterCard+Currency+Card.htm

I even threw some money on my credit card for back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've used the Post Card and it was fantastic. I keep one around now for sterling too, it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

jme2010 wrote: »
    ATM's generally charge around $3 per transaction. Any Irish debit card will work fine on them..

Check with your bank on daily transaction limits.

I had some issues with a $100 daily withdrawal limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Thanks for the responses guys much appreciated. I will have to look into my debit card overseas rates and requirements for credit cards with my rental company before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I will have to look into my debit card overseas rates and requirements for credit cards with my rental company

I assume you mean for renting a car? Some companies only ask for a credit card if you are dropping the card off at a different location. I had no problem using a debit card to rent a car.

Just don't use anybodies credit card to pay for hotels before you leave. They will want the physical card upon arrival, but you can 'do America' with out a credit card. Good luck

Advertisement