Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst year ever for music?

• 09-03-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭

What was the worst year ever for music in your opinion? So far, it has been 2016 for me. This year has not seen even one good song in my ears. I hear the same beats I hear in every respective song. By respective I mean its genre like those house beats and drums that annoy me of how frequently they're used. The closest song I could find that I like in 2016 is Lukas Graham - 7 Years but at the same time, I am not mad about it.

2016 - worst year ever for music in my opinion.

This is only my opinion. Let's see yours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No such thing as the worst year in music. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Give it time OP, it's only March still.

It can still get worse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

biko wrote: »
    Give it time OP, it's only March still.

It can still get worse..

Yeah like how 2013 fell out with Miley Cyrus...... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

It's only 3 months in?

Blackstar - Bowie
    Is the Is Are - DIIV
    Adore Life - Savages
    Painting With - Animal Collective
    Untitled Unmastered - Kendrick Lamar
    Night Thoughts - Suede
    Emotional Mugger - Ty Segall

Some great albums already out and that's only off the top of my head, again just within the first two months of the year. Shaping up nicely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'd say year one.

People still figuring out notes and sounds

Mostly grunts and uggs. Not very good beat to it.

• Advertisement

Lights On wrote: »
    It's only 3 months in?

Blackstar - Bowie
    Is the Is Are - DIIV
    Adore Life - Savages
    Painting With - Animal Collective
    Untitled Unmastered - Kendrick Lamar
    Night Thoughts - Suede
    Emotional Mugger - Ty Segall

Some great albums already out and that's only off the top of my head, again just within the first two months of the year. Shaping up nicely :)

David Bowie is dead though which adds to my deep hate for this year so far music wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I think this has been a good year so far except for that recent Rihanna song which sounds like a dog with a stammer.

It would have to be one of the naughties. That whole decade was fairly bad.

Can anybody show me any good music of 2016? I can't find any which is why I consider it the worst. I can't see why you say it is a good year for music :mad::confused:

FFS, we're not even three whole months into the year yet. No point in writing it off now.
    I thought 2015 was a pretty poor year for music until the end of year when I looked over my Spotify playlist (since 2012 I've made a playlist every year for songs I like released in that year) and realised that there was actually quite a lot of good stuff.

My 2016 playlist currently has 33 songs on it thus far, and am hoping to add many more to it as the year progresses. Every year has its gems and its shíte (though what falls into what category is all subjective anyway) - I don't see why 2016 should be or will be any different.

Some good'uns from 2016 thus far:

See also ('cause I'll piss people off if I add any more videos):
    PJ Harvey - The Wheel
    Mick Pedaja - Seis
    All Saints - One Strike
    Foxes - Body Talk
    The Jezabels - Come Alive
    Jack Garratt - Fire

FFS, we're not even three whole months into the year yet. No point in writing it off now.
    I thought 2015 was a pretty poor year for music until the end of year when I looked over my Spotify playlist (since 2012 I've made a playlist every year for songs I like released in that year) and realised that there was actually quite a lot of good stuff.

My 2016 playlist currently has 33 songs on it thus far, and am hoping to add many more to it as the year progresses. Every year has its gems and its shíte (though what falls into what category is all subjective anyway) - I don't see why 2016 should be or will be any different.

Some good'uns from 2016 thus far:

See also ('cause I'll piss people off if I add any more videos):
    PJ Harvey - The Wheel
    Mick Pedaja - Seis
    All Saints - One Strike
    Foxes - Body Talk
    The Jezabels - Come Alive
    Jack Garratt - Fire

Excuse me, I did not ask you to influence my opinion, thank you :cool:. I wanted to know your opinion on the worst year for music in your opinion (of course every year has at least a few good songs but sadly this year so far not for me). Out of those songs, I kind of like Easier Day but other than that, no I don't like them songs sorry.

Crap like Justin Bieber's Love Yourself reached #1 and I never know how it did because the music in it makes me so bored....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Crap like Justin Bieber's Love Yourself reached #1 and I never know how it did because the music in it makes me so bored....

The young wans love it though. Shur he's a great artist just like Zayn.

Anyway I think 2004 was the worst.

The young wans love it though. Shur he's a great artist just like Zayn.

Anyway I think 2004 was the worst.

Yeah I'm not a fan of 2004 either :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

endacl wrote:
    No such thing as the worst year in music. That's my opinion.

This.

Every year will have its clangers and it's amazing songs if you listen broadly enough and not to just what you hear in chart radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

What was the worst year ever for music in your opinion?

Definitely 1971

Definitely 1971

Well I don't know what came out in 1971 :pac::pac: so I can't put that in me least favourite years for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Nineteen dickety two. Music was banned by the Kaiser and so was the word twenty so we had to use dickety in its place. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Has reggaeton made it to Ireland yet?

Just be grateful it hasn't, if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

We are not even halfway through the 3rd month of the year, 9 and a bit more to go, sorry.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

10 of them equal in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I think this has been a good year so far except for that recent Rihanna song which sounds like a dog with a stammer.

Seriously - if a worse song than that makes it on to the airwaves this year, I'd be shocked.

Has to be in the running for the worst song ever written.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

We have this thread in AH every year

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

We have this thread in AH every year

Is that because music gets worse and worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That Rhianna song is so bad that the whole year has to be written off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Their is a silver lining to that Rihanna song, in that it's so bad it forced me to listen to some Sean Paul to remind what good dancehall sounds like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Hahahaha we're not even 3 months into 2016 :D

To be honest it hasn't set my world alight so far, but I'm being patient. The new Bowie album is great and I dig the new Chairlift album Moth. The new albums from School of Seven Bells and Savages have been disappointing, and DIIV have always sucked balls.

Some upcoming albums I'm looking forward to:
    The Joy Formidable - Hitch
    Deftones - Gore
    PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
    Vektor - Terminal Redux
    Beth Orton - Kidsticks
    The Kills - Ash & Ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That Rhianna song is so bad that the whole year has to be written off.

Just had a listen to see what all the fuss was about...

Fúck me Nickki Minaj wouldn't have a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What was the worst year ever for music in your opinion? So far, it has been 2016 for me. This year has not seen even one good song in my ears. I hear the same beats I hear in every respective song. By respective I mean its genre like those house beats and drums that annoy me of how frequently they're used. The closest song I could find that I like in 2016 is Lukas Graham - 7 Years but at the same time, I am not mad about it.

2016 - worst year ever for music in my opinion.

This is only my opinion. Let's see yours.

That is quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard ever. Whiney bulls*t is all it is. Makes me wanna ram knitting needles in my ears. If that's your idea of the best, I shudder to think of what's worse. Good god!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

The nonsense on the wireless can't really be counted as music.

However regarding metal and rock music there have been poor releases over the past year such as Triviums disaster of a record.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This.

Every year will have its clangers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

It would have to be one of the naughties. That whole decade was fairly bad.

That naughties term doesn't make any sense, it is not like the years were pronounced as "naughty one, naughty two"

In the future people will learn to refer to the decade as the "Two thousands" or "Twenty Hundreds"

However regarding metal and rock music there have been poor releases over the past year such as Triviums disaster of a record.
    When have Trivium ever released a good record? On the other hand we had some great releases from Enslaved and Steven Wilson last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Whatever about good music, I'd argue that there hasn't been any advancement in music in at least 20 years. The fact that Aphex Twin's Richard D. James album sounds as cutting edge as anything you'd hear nowadays is pretty damning... and that was released in 1996.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Are you talking about pop music OP ?

Pop music had never been good since the '90's.

Good voices are very important in a tune, even if it's just trashy pop, but now one doesn't need a good voice, just one that can be manipulated by a computer to sound good.

Taylor Swift is the only artist I can think off that does good pop songs but it's not like she's a vocal genius but she's not bad at all.

Michael Jackson did everything. He did great videos. He was an amazing singer. He was an amazing dancer. And his song's weren't all the same, like Rihanna for example. Plastic videos , same beats all the time. All done for the pub venues with a thump thump thump beat.

When was the last time you had a well rounded performer who could do it all? It doesn't happen anymore. You have someone who goes on xfactor who we might agree they have a good voice. But that's it. No personality. No nothing. Just a short skirt or big thighs that looks good in some flashy boring music video.

The better question is "When was the last year we found a gem who had amazing musical/performing talent".

I don't listen to pop music anymore. I have gotten into other music genres and I'm glad off it. I'll always love my trance/electro/pop stuff from the 80/90/2000 but that scene is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can anybody show me any good music of 2016? I can't find any which is why I consider it the worst. I can't see why you say it is a good year for music :mad::confused:

This is good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I haven't heard of most the bands in some of these posts. Am I so out of touch with modern music, or are people trying to deliberately post the most obscure bands they know of to be hip?
    No, no. It's the children who are out of touch :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Bands all sound the same to me.

Edit: I listened to the above linked track without watching the video. I find it totally depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Taylor Swift: ****
    Adele: ****, you want depressing, listen to Warning, then come back to me
    Ed Sheeran: ****
    Kanye West: the pinnacle of **** and the emperor's new clothes syndrome personified.

Major labels gobbelled up indies and are extremely prejudiced against releasing interesting music that doesn't fit into the hip hop/pop genres. Just ignore the mainstream and listen to whatever you want, the only problem is that interesting, actually talented artists, much moreso than the ones mentioned above are getting overlooked and even if you play them to the average 2010s listener they'll still willfully stick to their mainstream, garbage crap, because they've been indoctrinated, so **** them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Why are you giving all these boring pop artists four stars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

When have Trivium ever released a good record? On the other hand we had some great releases from Enslaved and Steven Wilson last year.
    2015 was all about Clutch and Wilderun for me. Great albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Music benefits greatly from, what I like to call, the temporal anti-Doppler effect. Meaning, the further away from a certain point in time you are, the more often good music seems to be released.

In thirty years time this will be hailed as the new 80's!

• Advertisement

Beethoven dead, Mozart a distant memory...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Does it really matter if this is a sh1tty year for music? We have access to all the music we could want, with the youtubing, and the ituning and the digitamal downloading - it's a great time to be a music lover

And don't get upset about what's in the charts, I've learnt since the days of Britney Spears et al that you can't control the machine, listen to whatever the hell you want and don't be fretting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

Isn't it a good thing that music tastes aren't at all subjective and the OP kindly came along to tell us what not to like.
    Title track from the album Sarcasm by Hemerodrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

Painkillers by Brian Fallon is out tomorrow, year 2016 saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Isn't it a good thing that music tastes aren't at all subjective and the OP kindly came along to tell us what not to like.
    Title track from the album Sarcasm by Hemerodrome.

Hemerodrome sold out with that overhyped third album. It's a scientifically proven fact!

About time! Somebody actually showed me something I like here. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Does it really matter if this is a sh1tty year for music? We have access to all the music we could want, with the youtubing, and the ituning and the digitamal downloading - it's a great time to be a music lover

And don't get upset about what's in the charts, I've learnt since the days of Britney Spears et al that you can't control the machine, listen to whatever the hell you want and don't be fretting

Thank you. With that in mind, this is my favourite release of the last few years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSObRNcPAv8

it is, as you say, indeed a great time to be a music lover

fatknacker wrote: »
    I haven't heard of most the bands in some of these posts. Am I so out of touch with modern music, or are people trying to deliberately post the most obscure bands they know of to be hip?
    No, no. It's the children who are out of touch :/
    None of the artists posted in this thread are obscure. People who actually follow music publications and websites would have stumbled across them at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I dunno about there being a "worst year" but 2014 at the time seemed shockingly bereft of great albums, 2 years on and I've yet to discover anything to change my mind.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/critics-pick-top-10-albums-of-2014

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Music benefits greatly from, what I like to call, the temporal anti-Doppler effect. Meaning, the further away from a certain point in time you are, the more often good music seems to be released.

In thirty years time this will be hailed as the new 80's!
    Late 70's early 80's music was good at the time. Even allowing for the filter of nostalgia and forgetting the utter dross today's chart music is meh at best.

Back then there were new sounds, from synthesisers to punk to ska and new romantics , a massive change from the mid 70's

BBC4 have been showing Top Of The Pops for a while now and just look at what was in the charts back then. Yes there was a lot of *cringe* but the good stuff was great.

There were times in the 90's when entire NOW albums would only have a single song that wasn't bad. Music got better later and then went dire again.

The music industry has to take a lot of the blame. Things like drum machines , vocal harmonisers, and especially wall of sound means that over time mass market music has become more formulaic and less differentiated than in the past. How many songwriting crews are there for the charts these days ?
    I'm reminded of 1984 and the songs for the proles.

"It was only an 'opeless fancy,
    It passed lika an Ipril dye,
    But a look an' a word an' the dreams they stirred
    They 'ave stolen my 'eart awye!'

Sometimes I can't even guess the decade of the nondescript music on the low rent music channels on satellite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement