Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst year ever for music?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Still nothing exciting or songs that aren't very boring.
    You've the Internet at your fingertips. If you can't find something interesting then I'm afraid the fault lies with you...

I miss the noughties! So much nostalgia for the songs inc.:

Spiller - Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)
    Eric Prydz - Call On Me
    XTM - Fly On the Wings of Love (my favourite song of all time)
    Groove Coverage - Poison
    Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
    Take That - Rule the World & Patience
    Nelly Furtado - Maneater
    Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
    James Blunt - You're Beautiful
    Alexandra Burke - Hallelujah
    Coldplay - Viva La Vida
    Kings of Leon - Sex On Fire
    Pink - So What
    Girls Aloud - The Promise

My god there's too many to name.

Not to mention, I adore these also (outside the noughties)

ABBA - Dancing Queen
    Irene Cara - Flashdance... What A Feeling
    Laura Branigan - Gloria
    Berlin - Take My Breath Away
    Europe - The Final Countdown
    Haddaway - What is Love?
    Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You

Hearing hits like these makes me think why today's music is so crap.
    Seriously?!?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There is good and crap music in every decade - chart music is for the most part rubbish, although the charts in the 1960s and 70s did feature some great material.

Look at the 1990s - my favourite decade for music (perhaps unsurprising as I'm now 41) - there was some brilliant artists - Nirvana, Bjork, Smashing Pumpkins, Skunk Anansie, Placebo, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Beck, Massive Attack, Portishead - and back then nearly everything in the charts was utter sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

All britney spears hits are great pop songs,
    she,s a great singer.
    Like elvis she doe,s not need to write songs ,
    she has a great voice .
    in 20 Years time people will be still singing her songs.
    There seemed to be a greater range of music in the charts in the 90s,and the 80s
    now its a lot of r and b, edm, mor pop music.
    Of Course there was a lot of awful songs in the charts, in the 90s
    teeny pop boy band mediocre songs .
    There was a survey by spotify that shows that people over 30 give up listening to new music .

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

This is it exactly. But good music could be supported and marketed to such an audience and they still would go along with it. Why are the media totally obsessed with poor boybands and boyband country music? They select a lot of this rubbish and overhype it. They know the types you mention above will go with it. But the people in TV who choose this to promote above all else are the true musical criminals here as they surely could give something better a chance.

A lot of it is to do with who is in charge of the media over here, which is why you get so many people getting pushed because of their name, think it was Gerry Ryan's daughter getting a slot on the late late show the other week, and as expected was terrible. Then look at who's running the radio stations as well and picking the playlists, not really who you'd have pegged as having a sense of what's going on in the current music climate.

I'm forever making this comparison and in some ways it's way off due to the size difference in the two, but seeing as it's so close and we share such similarities it's hard not to, BBC radio has people like Zane Lowe(though he's gone to Apple now), Annie Mac, Mistajam, Benji B, Mary Anne Hobbs, just a few off the top of my head, all presenting shows over different stations and playing a varied selection of new, good, artists all the time. It should be the same over here but bar a few slots, which are usually at terrible times, it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

endacl wrote: »
    Seriously?!?

I have quite a mix in music interests. There is no specific genre I like.

I have quite a mix in music interests. There is no specific genre I like.

Once it's middle if the road and over produced? Is 2016 not your dream year?

:pac:

endacl wrote: »
    Once it's middle if the road and over produced? Is 2016 not your dream year?

:pac:

No not at all. 2016 has been the second worst year of me life so far.

No not at all. 2016 has been the second worst year of me life so far.

Throw me out some of your favourite artists/albums and I'll give you some new stuff to check out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm constantly surprised by the amazing amount of really high quality new music out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Most people who complain about the current state of music only really listen to what's on the radio, and don't go to many gigs.

Popular music is simple, uncomplicated and dull to people looking to dig a little deeper.

So dig a little deeper.

Throw me out some of your favourite artists/albums and I'll give you some new stuff to check out

Like genres, I don't have specific favourite artists or albums. For my opinion of songs, it's just I either hate it because it's unbearable to listen to or it's just plain boring **** or I just like it because it has my favourite kind of song (upbeat mostly...).

So I adore SOME songs in recent times because they follow an upbeat pattern as in goes from quiet, soft or moderately loud to quite loud at the chorus. So a buildup technically!

From what I recall here, a song with buildup or an upbeat hasn't failed me yet on my liking!

Like genres, I don't have specific favourite artists or albums. For my opinion of songs, it's just I either hate it because it's unbearable to listen to or it's just plain boring **** or I just like it because it has my favourite kind of song (upbeat mostly...).

So I adore SOME songs in recent times because they follow an upbeat pattern as in goes from quiet, soft or moderately loud to quite loud at the chorus. So a buildup technically!

From what I recall here, a song with buildup or an upbeat hasn't failed me yet on my liking!

Give these a bash, I think they match the discription well enough. Not holding my breath that you'll like them though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Rereg wrote: »
    snip
    There isn't much of a market for it now though. That Carly Rae Jepson album from last year is stuffed with potential singles but no one bought it. The last Grimes album is the only other pure pop album that springs to my mind from the past few years and she's pretty clearly placed in a more alternative category.

With the increase in autonomy for the listener, music on the radio is now far more focused on easy listening than before. it's about filling silences in the manner least likely to result in someone realising the radio is on enough that they'll turn it off.

Hip Hop seems to be getting better. Kendrick Lamar is very enjoyable. And Hip Hop/Pop, Kanye West is still putting out decent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Hip-hop embraces new trends/sounds at a rate that's absolutely ridiculous, as far as genres go it's definitely the one best equipped to adapt to the pace of modern media.

While rock is heading back to the 70's in a big way. I haven't a big problem with that though.

I'm sure Tool will provide some forward thinking soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

A lot of it is to do with who is in charge of the media over here, which is why you get so many people getting pushed because of their name, think it was Gerry Ryan's daughter getting a slot on the late late show the other week, and as expected was terrible. Then look at who's running the radio stations as well and picking the playlists, not really who you'd have pegged as having a sense of what's going on in the current music climate.

I'm forever making this comparison and in some ways it's way off due to the size difference in the two, but seeing as it's so close and we share such similarities it's hard not to, BBC radio has people like Zane Lowe(though he's gone to Apple now), Annie Mac, Mistajam, Benji B, Mary Anne Hobbs, just a few off the top of my head, all presenting shows over different stations and playing a varied selection of new, good, artists all the time. It should be the same over here but bar a few slots, which are usually at terrible times, it's not.

That's precisely it. The likes of Gerry Ryan's daughter will be pushed because of who she is. All these annoying boyband and boyband country singers I keep seeing are probably all connected to someone powerful in the media. I don't know what it is like in other countries but in Ireland the worst singers and bands are pushed constantly by the media. If modern pop and country music (i.e. of the kind the Irish media keep featuring) seized to exist, the music world would be a much better place. This drivel exists only because the media keep forcing it and the gullible pick it up.

In terms of the singles chart, the year 1999 can only be described as diabolical.

Here are just a few of the chart hits that year. Brace yourself...

Boyzone - When The Going Gets Tough
    Boyzone - You Needed Me
    Steps - Better Best Forgotten
    Vengaboys - We Like To Party
    Cartoons - Witch Doctor
    911 - A Little Bit More
    Martine McCutcheon - Perfect Moment
    Shanks and Bigfoot - Sweet Like Chocolate
    S Club 7 - Bring It All Back
    Vengaboys - Boom Boom Boom Boom
    Geri Halliwell - Look At Me
    Adam Rickitt - I Breathe Again
    Lolly - Viva La Radio
    Cartoons - Doodah
    Britney Spears - Baby One More Time
    Lou Bega - Mambo No.5
    Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
    Ronan Keating - When You Say Nothing At All
    Ann Lee - Two Times
    Vengaboys - We're Going To Ibiza
    S Club 7 - S Club Party
    Lolly - Mickey
    Cliff Richard - The Millenium Prayer
    Offspring - Pretty Fly For A White Guy
    B*Witched - Blame It On The Waetherman
    B*Witched - Jesse Hold On
    Westlife - Swear It Again
    Westlife - If I Let You Go
    Westlife - Flying Without Wings
    Westlife - I Have A Dream/Seasons In The Sun
    A1 - Be The First To Believe
    A1 - Summertime Of Our Lives

:blink:

A lot of boybands and ex boyband singers in that mix. Westlife are in there 4 times and Boyzone/Ronan Keating 3 times. It was around that year when music as promoted by the media and ending up on the charts started to really go bad. 1999 was also the year all that Big Brother reality TV kicked off and the music talent competition answers to this were not far off. I like a few of the above songs but not sung by those mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Give these a bash, I think they match the discription well enough. Not holding my breath that you'll like them though :]
    I see where you are going, seemed to offer promise, but veered towards instantly forgettable.

I'll offer these couple that caught my attention.

Lemaitre feat Jennie A

Lucius

Corinne Bailey Rae unreleased afaik. Back again again

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    I see where you are going, seemed to offer promise, but veered towards instantly forgettable.

I'll offer these couple that caught my attention.

Lemaitre feat Jennie A

Lucius

Corinne Bailey Rae unreleased afaik. Back again again

Are Lucius sporting the new Jedward look?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

There isn't much of a market for it now though. That Carly Rae Jepson album from last year is stuffed with potential singles but no one bought it. The last Grimes album is the only other pure pop album that springs to my mind from the past few years and she's pretty clearly placed in a more alternative category.
    There's a ton of music bubbling just below the surface, or in the very fringes of the charts, that should be promoted as proper pop music. If the major labels actually had sense that is.

Along with Grimes (whom I adore), you also have Chairlift, CHVRCHES, Purity Ring, Sky Ferreira, FKA Twigs, Phantogram, St. Vincent, Susanne Sundfør etc. Artists with pop potential but who still have something musically substantial to offer.

biko wrote: »
    Give it time OP, it's only March still.

It can still get worse..

And so I have, it's now September and 2016 has 2 songs I like so far, no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

And so I have, it's now September and 2016 has 2 songs I like so far, no more.

Stiill two and a half months left, give it time.
    Which two songs out of curiosity?

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Stiill two and a half months left, give it time.
    Which two songs out of curiosity?

David Guetta - This One's For You (not the beat drop though, one of the worst beat drops I have heard)
    Pink - Just Like Fire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

The young wans love it though. Shur he's a great artist just like Zayn.

Anyway I think 2004 was the worst.

Oh god, that is a good call

The year Green Day tried to grow up and, act all adultey and stuff (that was okay ,in parts)

That was the year of
    Eamon F**k It (I Don't Want You Back) and the corporate response of Frankee FURB (F U Right Back)

The year of Those videos: Eric Prydz Call On Me & Boogie Pimps Somebody To Love (daycent tunes, the originals that is)

The year of disco fillers like Usher featuring Lil' Jon & Ludacris Yeah!

The year of the endless repeats of Dry Your Eyes by the Streets (bha, was going through a break up then) and the funnier Fit and you know it.

Peter Andre tried to make a comeback with his one hit wonder from 10 years before

Bryan McFadden was trying to be , cough, credible, waffling about apparently getting thumped by Christian Brothers (obviously not hard enough)

U2 were going, "Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah, Hello Hello"

Maroon Five were still around, puberty didn't kick in yet but neither had it for Keane (not a bad song that, to be fair, nice piano)

Still saying that, we did get Kelis and Milkshake - tune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

1791. One weeps thinking of the glories lost that might have been.

Olishi4 wrote: »
    My worst year for music was 2001 or 2002. We previously only had cablelink and got ntl with all the music stations. My dad would skip through the music stations but never leave a fcukin song on. "Ah dad I love that song", next channel, "oh leave that one on", next channel ugh!

Then he started a game of "what song do you think will be next" and would ask you whenever he changed the channel. I never got it right :(:)

2000 , oh dear the start of the bland and awful, bo selecta , though bombfunk free styler was a guilty pleasure , then ya had Sandstorm by Darude and Zombie Nation with Kernkraft 400. Sadly Limp Bizkit were getting going. Kylie was also back as were U2. The "punk pop" of Blink 182 was also grabbing momentum

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-2000.shtml

Did give us Ms Jackson by Outcast.
    http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-2001.shtml

Lt Dan wrote: »
    2000 , oh dear the start of the bland and awful, bo selecta , though bombfunk free styler was a guilty pleasure , then ya had Sandstorm by Darude and Zombie Nation with Kernkraft 400. Sadly Limp Bizkit were getting going. Kylie was also back as were U2. The "punk pop" of Blink 182 was also grabbing momentum

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-2000.shtml

Did give us Ms Jackson by Outcast.
    http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-2001.shtml
    Judging music by what's in the charts is like judging all of humanity by the rich and the famous. It strikes me as completely stupid.

2000 was the best year in music in the past 20 years:

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
    Radiohead - Kid A
    PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
    Deftones - White Pony
    Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
    Elliott Smith - Figure 8
    Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
    Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    The Avalanches - Since I Left You
    Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
    Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

• Advertisement

Judging music by what's in the charts is like judging all of humanity by the rich and the famous. It strikes me as completely stupid.

2000 was the best year in music in the past 20 years:

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
    Radiohead - Kid A
    PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
    Deftones - White Pony
    Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
    Elliott Smith - Figure 8
    Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
    Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    The Avalanches - Since I Left You
    Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
    Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

Opinion on the chart is fair enough. I wasn't focused on the charts even then. The songs that I referred to are well known songs that people will remember quicker, without thinking, my list would be , ah yeah, so that song was from year X

Goldfrapp were brilliant during this period . I remember that video for The Avalaches. The rest of that,personally, not my bag but did not mind QOTSA

I do personally, recall that I was not crazy about 2000. By 2002 I thought, feck it nothing will be like the 1900's, then went to college and opened by ears to past and current stuff and it got good. Hindsight said even some of ehthe 1990s (even the one hit wonders) were not all that great. Listen to the radio now (yes I know what you said) and even the specialist radio stations, I die a little inside

Remember the Summer of 2003? TV use to do a late night video show. You had Damien Fecking Rice (good songs just horrible in College and house parties and a guitar knocking around) The videos also had System of a Down (their good stuff), Pixies, some Frames. It was a nice mix , even that Beyonce Crazy in Love song was a happy medium. It got popular by the end of the summer, which sadly , meant , the crap was aired (ie songs you heared during the day) It also became a bit like Atlantic 252, same songs every night

I did like how some of the older Radiohead fans of The Bends got a bit freaked about about Kid A and their material that year. I liked National Anthem

2016 still holds this title for me. It still hasn't changed since March, music has gotten even worse somehow, UGHHHH why is music so crap this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Good stuff is still being made, you just have to dig a little deeper to find it. Commercial radio and the popular charts are the not the places to look to anymore.

The past two months have given us some really good albums.

The past two months have given us some really good albums.

Well I guess I'm the idiot then 'cause I very rarely check albums. Plus, give some examples of "really good" albums. I can't put "really good" and "2016" next to each other.

Good stuff is still being made, you just have to dig a little deeper to find it. Commercial radio and the popular charts are the not the places to look to anymore.

Where could you even dig a little deeper?

• Advertisement

Well I guess I'm the idiot then 'cause I very rarely check albums. Plus, give some examples of "really good" albums. I can't put "really good" and "2016" next to each other.
    Angel Olsen - My Woman
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
    Preoccupations - Preoccupations
    Warpaint - Heads Up
    Alcest - Kodama
    Touche Amore - Stage Four

I think they're really good. Don't care what anyone else thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New Bon Iver album is the best album I've heard for ages.... but different strokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Loving the new Danny Brown Album 'Atrocity Exhibition' and Jenny Hval's 'Blood Bitch' lp. This year has been great for my ears anyways, new albums from Andy Stott, Jessy Lanza, Zomby, loving them all still. Oneohtrix Point Never's 'Garden of Delete' from this time last year is still played on my turntable weekly.
    I'd suggest trying boomkat.com and check the bestsellers list if you want to dig some good newly released stuff, depends what your into though

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Holograph

Where could you even dig a little deeper?
    Seriously? :)

The internet of course!

Holograph wrote: »
    Seriously? :)

The internet of course!

Yeah WHERE on it.

• Advertisement

Yeah WHERE on it.
    Google '2016 albums' and see what comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Basq wrote: »
    New Bon Iver album is the best album I've heard for ages.... but different strokes!

First time I listened to it I thought "what the fupp is this?!"

Now, I love it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The closest song I could find that I like in 2016 is Lukas Graham - 7 Years.
    This is only my opinion. Let's see yours.

You have confirmed that your opinion is wrong and should not be expressed on any subject ever again.

McGaggs wrote: »
    You have confirmed that your opinion is wrong and should not be expressed on any subject ever again.

Here that was months ago, now I find it very irritating and I hate it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

65daysofstatic's latest release is as good as post-rock album I've ever heard.

Emma Ruth Rundle's 2nd album just out a week or two ago is fantastic as well.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

Think this year has been pretty good and I like a range of genres. Offhand I would say one republic, Josef salvat, walking on cars, shura, white lies, we are scientists, Coldplay, local natives, Lisa hannigan, Bastille, jake Bugg, churches, alunageorge, coin

chvrches
    Ahem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Zooouma

Bad year alri closer by chainsmokers seems to be on every hour! And Justin bieber

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I wonder if my optimistic outlook regarding modern music is related to the fact I pretty much never listen to the radio?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'd echoe a lot of people in here. You have to dig deeper. With regards rock/alt, MTV stopped playing music videos in the 2000's. Phantom went off air in whatever year. Some people were completely lost after this, I think.

If this thread is meant to find the worst year for popular mainstream music then fair enough, but this view that music in general is "terrible these days " just feels kinda lazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement