Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst year ever for music?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd echoe a lot of people in here. You have to dig deeper. With regards rock/alt, MTV stopped playing music videos in the 2000's. Phantom went off air in whatever year. Some people were completely lost after this, I think.

If this thread is meant to find the worst year for popular mainstream music then fair enough, but this view that music in general is "terrible these days " just feels kinda lazy.

I said 2016 was the worst year ever for music. I didn't say modern music is all terrible.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I wonder if my optimistic outlook regarding modern music is related to the fact I pretty much never listen to the radio?

And neither do I......

Zooouma wrote: »
    Bad year alri closer by chainsmokers seems to be on every hour! And Justin bieber

Yeah like tell me how Drake - One Dance was #1 for 15 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I said 2016 was the worst year ever for music. I didn't say modern music is all terrible.

The problem with this year and other recent years is that too much of the wrong stuff gets pushed by the media. Each reality TV act gets pushed and gets a recording contract and sings some disposable song. The artist or the song are secondary to keeping things like The X Factor going. In Ireland, it seems that the media can only push pop and modern Irish country music as well as the occasional novelty song about machinery or sung by canvas bag turkeys.

Good music is being made in this era but is not pushed. Better music became more famous in the past because we did not have a media with agendas like we do today. Since reality TV as we know it came into being in 1999 music has suffered as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

sryanbruen wrote: »

I wasn't speaking specifically about you. It's a common theme I hear on and off the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

This is Daughter performing live 4 tracks of their 2016 album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHOkY_BoiM
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    65daysofstatic's latest release is as good as post-rock album I've ever heard.

Cool just listened to that there today. Never heard of them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Better than average year for me so far, what with albums like Anna Meredith's Varmints coming out. This is what happens when a respected modern classical composer tries her hand at electronica: it gets weird.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Austria! wrote: »

Cool just listened to that there today. Never heard of them before.

If you enjoyed it, check out their previous album, Wild Light. One of my favourite releases of recent years.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TXFM closing down :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Probably any given year in the past 10 years.

Oh, how I yearn for the 90s.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

chvrches
    Ahem!
    Yeah I know, that was a phone autocorrect - love them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Whatever year Fergie released that song "my humps"... That was the worst year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

All this negativity surrounding modern music and the reminiscing and wanting to return the recent past decades is alien to me.
    I started buying albums in the early 90's which meant traipsing down to Dublin every few months in the faint hope of buying the records I wanted in the various record shops run by the pretentious arsehole staff who were about as much help as a slap in the face. You'd be lucky to get what you wanted. Most of the time you wouldn't, the staff running them joints would hoard the good newly released stuff for themselves and their mates. It was f**king $hite.

Today in the 2016 I can get any newly released album the very day it comes out, and any other album released without even leaving my house. Few clicks and in 3 days time I can get a crateload of vinyl that I actually want delivered straight to my door in the remote countryside. Once I get them, another few internet clicks I can share reviews and other viewpoints of these records from likeminded fans that can point ourselves in the direction of other lp's and music we may enjoy. There's never been a better time to be a genuine music fan.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

buried wrote: »
    All this negativity surrounding modern music and the reminiscing and wanting to return the recent past decades is alien to me.
    I started buying albums in the early 90's which meant traipsing down to Dublin every few months in the faint hope of buying the records I wanted in the various record shops run by the pretentious arsehole staff who were about as much help as a slap in the face. You'd be lucky to get what you wanted. Most of the time you wouldn't, the staff running them joints would hoard the good newly released stuff for themselves and their mates. It was f**king $hite.

Today in the 2016 I can get any newly released album the very day it comes out, and any other album released without even leaving my house. Few clicks and in 3 days time I can get a crateload of vinyl that I actually want delivered straight to my door in the remote countryside. Once I get them, another few internet clicks I can share reviews and other viewpoints of these records from likeminded fans that can point ourselves in the direction of other lp's and music we may enjoy. There's never been a better time to be a genuine music fan.

All very true, but the thread is kinda about the quality of the music as oppose to how one gets that music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

You just gotta look in the right places - you've access to nearly every radio station in the world via your phone, Spotify (it even spoonfeeds you recommendations based on what you listen to), Deezer, Bandcamp, YouTube, how many countless blogs, podcasts, streams out there... there's amazing new music out there being released every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Lt Dan wrote: »
    All very true, but the thread is kinda about the quality of the music as oppose to how one gets that music

I feel the main problems with music today is that the wrong stuff gets pushed everywhere. Overhyped, mediocre bands like Snow Patrol and One Direction, talent competitions, awful modern country music and poor quality singer songwriters have been dominating the scene for way too long. These types seem to own the media and block out everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Lt Dan wrote: »

Getting and searching for your music is the most important part of obtaining the quality that is still being made, and the internet has revolutionised that. If your still hoping to hear the actual modern quality on the likes of the RTE radio stations, you basically won't. And the amount of independant online record stores are a great help to the modern music fan too, you just have to look for these stores online.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Change 'year' to decade' and I'd agree. And actually 2000-2009 wasn't all that much cop either.

I'm not exactly seeing this generation producing a John Lydon, are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The Crazy Frog song reached #1 ffs

The Crazy Frog song reached #1 ffs

In fairness, Mr Blobby reached #1 in 1993. The singles charts have never really been a very reliable guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

In fairness, Mr Blobby reached #1 in 1993. The singles charts have never really been a very reliable guide.

Good God, yes. And wasn't that Doop Doop song around the same era? I'd forgotten how bad music was then.

I think I tuned out around that time period. I couldn't tell you what music is current now, all I can hear is noise. I'm getting old :pac:

Estrellita wrote: »
    Good God, yes. And wasn't that Doop Doop song around the same era? I'd forgotten how bad music was then.

I think I tuned out around that time period. I couldn't tell you what music is current now, all I can hear is noise. I'm getting old :pac:

Oh there were some great albums released in the early and mid 1990s. My point is singles charts always lacked a certain credibility (and even more so now).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Ariana Grande

2016 can NOT be the worst year in music when Ariana Grande dropped the best album since Music Box, 'Dangerous Woman'.

Literally ****s on all your faves, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

After several months of pondering I've finally come to the conclusion that 1960 was the worst year for music.

Bono was born.

2016 is finally over now! (well almost when posting this) And good riddance to it, anyway what an atrocious year in everything especially music and politics. Since this thread is about music, I will confirm with my original thought back at the beginning of the year, 2016 is certainly the worst year ever for music. Like how the hell did **** like Drake - One Dance be #1 for 15 weeks!

Advertisement