Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Great' Ireland run 2016

Options
  • 09-03-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭

So I must have signed up at some stage (have a vague recollection) and received my number in the post this morning. The only reason I would participate in this race is because it is part of the national 10k championships. But... my race number is orange and I got it in the post. So I'm guessing that I'm not registered as part of the national champs. Anyone know if it is possible to change or check this, or should I just take it as a sign?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The national championship numbers have to be collected on the morning of the race so looks like you are not registered for that. No idea if they'll change this for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

adrian522 wrote: »
    The national championship numbers have to be collected on the morning of the race so looks like you are not registered for that. No idea if they'll change this for you though.
    Yeah, that's what I figured. There doesn't seem to be anyone contactable in relation to this. I've fired off an e-mail to the Great Run e-mail address, but reckon I have zero chance of a positive outcome. That's the difference between a race organized by a faceless corporation and a club race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

At least the orange start is with the AAI entrants. Or at least it seems to say that on the website.

adrian522 wrote: »
    At least the orange start is with the AAI entrants. Or at least it seems to say that on the website.
    Yeah, I'm not interested in the starting coral. Just whether or not I'm entered into the national champs. Cheers anyway. Will see what they come back with (not expecting a reply).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Yeah, I'm not interested in the starting coral. Just whether or not I'm entered into the national champs. Cheers anyway. Will see what they come back with (not expecting a reply).

If no reply, I would go via your club. They will have an open channel with the AAI contact.
    You should definately run in the national champs. I cant say if it is for sure possible to change it, but I would suggest it probably is as the situation must have happened on many occasions already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

demfad wrote: »
    If no reply, I would go via your club. They will have an open channel with the AAI contact.
    You should definately run in the national champs. I cant say if it is for sure possible to change it, but I would suggest it probably is as the situation must have happened on many occasions already.

I'll look into it for ya KC

Cheers guys. Early indications suggest that I was completely wrong in my assumptions, and I received a timely and helpful response from my inquiry:
    Thank you for your email
    You have not entered through the AAI entry stream
    We cannot get your entry changed to AAI as you have already received your running pack. However if you come and see us at our information point prior to the event we can get this changed over for you. We will be open between Thursday the 7th of April – Saturday the 9th of April. Our location and opening hours will be available online very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I signed up for the 5k by accident. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

I initially signed up for the 10km standard race not realising there was a separate race for the AAI championships.

I contacted the organisers who advised that they would cancel the initial registration so that I can re register for the AAI championship race.

I have just re registered for the AAI race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Is anyone who signed up for this still waiting for their number / race pack?

I was late signing up - about 10 days ago and I haven't received my number yet.

• Advertisement

If you signed up for the AAI race you need to collect it on the weekend of the race. If not it should have arrived. If it doesn't come today maybe get in contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Phoebas wrote: »
    Is anyone who signed up for this still waiting for their number / race pack?

I was late signing up - about 10 days ago and I haven't received my number yet.

I signed up just there and because I missed the registration cut off I have to either collect in in Lifestyle Tallagh Weds-Friday next week or else in PP from 10am on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Does anyone know if the race numbers for the AAI national championships can be picked up from lifestyle sport from Thursday instead of Sunday morning in the park?

I read the race briefing on the website and there is no mention of collection/ pick up of numbers for this rave.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Krusty, would you mind posting or pm'ing me details of who to contact in AAI with a request to change an entry to the National Championships? A colleague did the same and wants to change it. Cheers!

happygoose wrote: »
    Krusty, would you mind posting or pm'ing me details of who to contact in AAI with a request to change an entry to the National Championships? A colleague did the same and wants to change it. Cheers!
    Hey happygoose, won't unfortunately make the race myself, as I've given myself a hamstring problem that I have to nurse this week, so I never completed the process. The message I got was as follows:
    We cannot get your entry changed to AAI as you have already received your running pack. However if you come and see us at our information point prior to the event we can get this changed over for you. We will be open between Thursday the 7th of April – Saturday the 9th of April. Our location and opening hours will be available online very soon

So I would assume that you would need to send your colleague to the Lifestyle sports pick-up point in Blanchardstown to talk to the GIR/AAI folks there. I wouldn't travel without first making sure they could sort you out though. The e-mail address I used was: info@greatrun.org

micar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the race numbers for the AAI national championships can be picked up from lifestyle sport from Thursday instead of Sunday morning in the park?

I read the race briefing on the website and there is no mention of collection/ pick up of numbers for this rave.

If you entered after 10am on Wednesday 23 March you will need to collect your pack from the address below at the times stated, this includes all AAI run packs.
    Thursday 7th – Saturday 9th April the information point will be based in the Lifestyle Sports Shop in Blanchardstown Fashion Retail Park (Unit 425).
    Opening hours are: Thursday: 1pm – 9pm, Friday: 10am – 7pm, Saturday: 10am – 4pm. No entries will be taken on event day.

http://greatirelandrun.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Sorry to hear about the injury :( Thanks for that though, lucky enough we're in the vicinity of the Blanch centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Just looking at the national 10k entries on the AI website, I'm wondering if numbers for the club race are down from last year? Or whether it's related to the registration issues, or just scheduling.

There are a few clubs that have entered a lot of people (like Rathfarnham) but then you have Clonliffe with a grand total of 3. A lot of the names I'd usually look out for in the men's senior or master's competition don't appear to be in the entries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Sacksian wrote: »
    Just looking at the national 10k entries on the AI website, I'm wondering if numbers for the club race are down from last year? Or whether it's related to the registration issues, or just scheduling.

There are a few clubs that have entered a lot of people (like Rathfarnham) but then you have Clonliffe with a grand total of 3. A lot of the names I'd usually look out for in the men's senior or master's competition don't appear to be in the entries.

Would think so yes , all jumbled up so hard to know, our club def down in numbers also. Think its a trend across races and the sport in general unfortunately. Things like marathons also taking some away, Rotterdam, Manchester, Connemara, intervarsities next week and local road races also .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

youngrun wrote: »
    Would think so yes , all jumbled up so hard to know, our club def down in numbers also. Think its a trend across races and the sport in general unfortunately. Things like marathons also taking some away, Rotterdam, Manchester, Connemara, intervarsities next week and local road races also .

I would previously have supported the idea that if AI are getting enough money from co-locating the national 10k with the GIR, it's worth it.

However, 10k is a distance where there should be fierce competition in this country - I'm thinking of the depth of senior Interclubs (you'd also get more club runners who opt out of xc + the marathon runners).

If there's a couple of years of thin depth, they should rethink it - instead of co-locating the National Champs with commercial events, take the money from them and hold the national events separately (maybe as part of established club races).

• Advertisement

Think they get a decent fee from it alright AI. Not sure what their involvement is bar hosting National in it which gives it a level of prestige and decent times etc. Would probably get the same numbers running as a National anywhere in country bar the real outposts. Its not bad scheduling though compared to the National half which is a joke to get to if you are outside Dublin, 200 quid cost odd to travel and stay up per head? should be the first one to be canned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 runnter

Doing this race on Sunday, it's my first race in years; I generally train well but something always seems to go wrong in the build up to a goal race!!

Any tips for the course? I see the 2nd half is very tough is it best to conserve energy for then? I'm so nervous!!

runnter wrote: »
    Doing this race on Sunday, it's my first race in years; I generally train well but something always seems to go wrong in the build up to a goal race!!

Any tips for the course? I see the 2nd half is very tough is it best to conserve energy for then? I'm so nervous!!
    Yeah second half a lot slower than first probably a minute slower second half for a 40min runner. V v fast first half and downhill so keep plenty in reserve, the three sets of climbs in the second half really need stamina and doggedness to get up. last k v flat and fast and you can smoke a few guys on this if you have anything left. good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Stablemaster

runnter wrote: »

what is your number so we can see how you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 runnter

I don't have my number yet, have to collect it on the day. Don't worry I'm not worth tracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yeah second half a lot slower than first probably a minute slower second half for a 40min runner. V v fast first half and downhill so keep plenty in reserve, the three sets of climbs in the second half really need stamina and doggedness to get up. last k v flat and fast and you can smoke a few guys on this if you have anything left. good luck.

Yeah, agree with that. Was just checking on my pb run, done on this course and just under 40min. Was 19.33 for the first 5k, so almost exactly a minute slower over the hilly section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Not even on RTE this year as "Gok's fashion fix" is on instead.That is the first time in over 10yrs they have not shown it live.:(
    Any mention of the elites, if there is any?Gemma Steel seems to be just coming back from injury so unlikely to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

Hi

Running my first National 10k on Sunday. I'm not overly familiar with the Phoenix park so could you advice where is the best place to park coming from the west? I plan to enter the park from the Chapelizod rd. Just trying to plan my journey and gauge what time I need to leave home.

Thanks for your help

davedanon wrote: »
    Yeah, agree with that. Was just checking on my pb run, done on this course and just under 40min. Was 19.33 for the first 5k, so almost exactly a minute slower over the hilly section.

yeah similar have a PB here , funny enough despite the second half toughness I think its the downhill first half and the fact its so competitive with many runners sub 40 that you can run a PB on it , my best 34.20 was 16.55 at 5k and 17.25 back , so 30 seconds despite flying in the second half. It really is a pig of a second half though never will you suffer as much !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Also clashes with the k-club 10k which is a better race, so it takes alot of West Dublin out of it

Advertisement