Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Great' Ireland run 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Also clashes with the k-club 10k which is a better race, so it takes alot of West Dublin out of it

But the GIR is the National 10k championships why would anyone not do that if they were serious about running ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

youngrun wrote: »
    But the GIR is the National 10k championships why would anyone not do that if they were serious about running ?
    It's a fair question. I had signed up for the GIR, entirely because it was the national 10k, and was looking forward to competing in that competition, but I have significant dislike for the race (even though the GIR was my first ever race of any description). Like the RnR, I don't believe that the national level race should be tagged onto a mass-participation race, but should be a standalone club-organized race, much like the national half marathon used to be, before the arrival of the big '$'.

Apart from that, it's not a very fast race. So if your training is geared at running the best possible 10k time you can, the K-Club (which has a reputation as a very fast flat course) would be a better target. Ideally, I'd have done both (one for the time-based target and the other for the national competition), but unfortunately the K-Club was re-scheduled and as such conflicted with the national 10k. As a result, I'd have done the national 10k, and gone looking for another fast 10k (e.g. Dunshaughlin), to try to hit my 10k target. Plus: 'serious' comes in many shapes and sizes. You can (in theory), be a serious runner and not a member of a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

It's a fair question. I had signed up for the GIR, entirely because it was the national 10k, and was looking forward to competing in that competition, but I have significant dislike for the race (even though the GIR was my first ever race of any description). Like the RnR, I don't believe that the national level race should be tagged onto a mass-participation race, but should be a standalone club-organized race, much like the national half marathon used to be, before the arrival of the big '$'.

Apart from that, it's not a very fast race. So if your training is geared at running the best possible 10k time you can, the K-Club (which has a reputation as a very fast flat course) would be a better target. Ideally, I'd have done both (one for the time-based target and the other for the national competition), but unfortunately the K-Club was re-scheduled and as such conflicted with the national 10k. As a result, I'd have done the national 10k, and gone looking for another fast 10k (e.g. Dunshaughlin), to try to hit my 10k target. Plus: 'serious' comes in many shapes and sizes. You can (in theory), be a serious runner and not a member of a club.

Agree with all that. I'm only doing GIR because it's the Nationals. I don't hate the race (got my pb there), but I can see its drawbacks because of the piggybacking on the GIR bandwagon. The R&R is the same, although I genuinely hate the race and the whole concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Anybody know what the deal with number collection for the National Championships tomorrow is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Hey guys - wasn't expecting to be in Dublin this weekend and I've no way of getting to the K club - anyone know of any numbers or entries going for the GIR tomorrow? I'd love to run it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

I was at the finish line today, found it strange that "elite"women were still crossing the line after 60 mins and "elite" men still crossing the line after 40 mins? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Not sure what the story is with the Elites but I have to say that I really enjoyed the race today. The setup was brilliant. A few hills and a fair bit of wind but still managed to get within 4 seconds of my PB.
    Who won the men's race anyway? Was it Mick Clohisey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Elites pen also included club runners as its the national 10k championhips which is why you see varying ability up in front pen.

Joe Sweeney and F McCormack 1st home with Clohisey 2nd from what I heard.

Tough conditions out there today.

KJ wrote: »
    Not sure what the story is with the Elites but I have to say that I really enjoyed the race today. The setup was brilliant. A few hills and a fair bit of wind but still managed to get within 4 seconds of my PB.
    Who won the men's race anyway? Was it Mick Clohisey?

No a great Britain lad won it by about 5 secs, clohisey came in bang on 30 mins.
    Heard fionula and the lad that won the men's race say that conditions were tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yea, tough conditions on a tough course. I had some poor preparation for this so was out on my feet after 2-3 K but if I had been going all out, I reckon the hills at 5k and 8k would have been killer. Also that last kilometre in to teeth of the wind would have been soul destroying.

Overall, a reasonably well run event though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Top 3's
    1. Andy Maud GBR 00:29:55
    2. Mick Clohisey IRL 00:30:00
    3. Kevin Maunsell IRL 00:30:23
    1. Fionnuala McCormack IRL 00:33:30
    2. Deidre Byrne IRL 00:34:41
    3. Maria McCambridge IRL 00:34:52
    Very sparse crowd and i'd be surprised if 25% as many as the 8000 that used to finish this from about 2009-2012 did so today.
    Wind was stiff but seemed to be behind us for the uphill bits so could have been worse.
    I can't blame congestiton either for a bad time just a pathetic effort at training since Xmas. Time for me to cop on between now and the race series or stay in bed next October 30th :o

4217 finishers per results ahead of last year. Tough day out with the wind. Not an easy one for anyone who hasnt trained a bit . Great set up etc, but the park is so big unless theres 10k running it it feels a bit lonesome!. Nat 10k as competitive as ever , it is a great race even though not fit enough and fell apart on the way up to 7k ,

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TommyGrealy

I think yesterday was the best opportunity to get a PB on that course (even though I didnt!), The first 3-4 k (around the north road) was actually against the wind but pretty well sheltered, then you were on the downhill to the 5k mark. On the hilly part there was a very exposed tail wind which was nice. Its rare that you get an easterly wind like that and the other 3 times I've done this race, those hills were made a lot worse by the headwinds. I remember the first time doing the GIR and thinking how horrible the 5-9k section is, seems to be one long drag hill after another. But now that Im much more familiar with it, its really just 3 big hills and opportunities to recover between each - with that in my head and aware that the wind was helping, it was easier to keep my head up. The wind was tough last k tough. Really enjoyed the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I think yesterday was the best opportunity to get a PB on that course (even though I didnt!), The first 3-4 k (around the north road) was actually against the wind but pretty well sheltered, then you were on the downhill to the 5k mark. On the hilly part there was a very exposed tail wind which was nice. Its rare that you get an easterly wind like that and the other 3 times I've done this race, those hills were made a lot worse by the headwinds. I remember the first time doing the GIR and thinking how horrible the 5-9k section is, seems to be one long drag hill after another. But now that Im much more familiar with it, its really just 3 big hills and opportunities to recover between each - with that in my head and aware that the wind was helping, it was easier to keep my head up. The wind was tough last k tough. Really enjoyed the run.

Would have to completely disagree. Most people I talked to reckoned (as did I) that it was significantly slower. Britton was 30 seconds slower than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

What I would say is that from the Kybher road on there are various pockets of shelter. Although it may make the hills easier, that would be of more benefit with a Westerly wind as that would men the headwind was sheltered rather than a tailwind (as Yesterday).

Also grouping might have been harder yesterday: Everyone is sheltered for first 3k, so no significant advantage there, also with no headwind for the entire mid section: the race would splinter right up with most people exposed to the severe headwind for the last 1-2k.

It depends on the individual too. If you can get shelter into the wind and take advantage of a tailwind you've done well. Looks like it worked out well enough for you, so well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So it seems like it's €20 for the Great Ireland run and €22 for an entry to the national championship. Think I'll be in the K-Club that weekend to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Bump.

Are there many from here running in the 2017 event this Sunday? Seems strangely quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Bump.

Are there many from here running in the 2017 event this Sunday? Seems strangely quiet.
    There used to be several posts for weeks before this event years ago but you will hardly get 5 comments after the race this year,even Ballycotton and Dungarvan 10 have little or no posts anymore. I'm doing it again,don't think it's on tv either this year for the 2nd year in a row and I don't see any mention of international elites like Bekele showing up:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

hawkwing wrote: »
    There used to be several posts for weeks before this event years ago but you will hardly get 5 comments after the race this year,even Ballycotton and Dungarvan 10 have little or no posts anymore. I'm doing it again,don't think it's on tv either this year for the 2nd year in a row and I don't see any mention of international elites like Bekele showing up:(

I was wondering why it was on at 11am. Used to be 1ish for the tv cameras. Was hoping to get to this as a gang from work are doing it but training hasn't gone to plan (whats new) - getting a bit of speed back in the legs now so if I'd had another couple of weeks would have been happy to go for it. I don't really like racing in the park anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Rather support a club event than a profit for business event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was planning on running it this year - haven't run it in 4 or 5? - but I'm away all weekend

Great race and great course, a real test, National 10k so we have a good few giving it a go . Gemma steel running v finn britton, laura shaugs, christie should be irish champ imho.

Has anyone got a course map for the 5 k race, will be doing my long run early Sunday morning so want to avoid the masses?
    Can only find the 10k course on the gir site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ooter wrote: »
    Has anyone got a course map for the 5 k race, will be doing my long run early Sunday morning so want to avoid the masses?
    Can only find the 10k course on the gir site.

this it?
    http://www.greatrun.org/great-ireland-run/great-ireland-run-5k

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

youngrun wrote: »
    Great race and great course, a real test, National 10k so we have a good few giving it a go . Gemma steel running v finn britton, laura shaugs, christie should be irish champ imho.

Sundays weather looks ok.
    Am guessing its not a PB course is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Looking forward to this. Never ran it before but hoping to give it a good lash, looks like a few hills over the last few k but hoping for a pb so trying not to let that psych me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Really looking forward to this, my first race in the park since I started running, and living nearby its all on routes I train regularly on! Going to be cool to see it during a race - hopefully the weather will be decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

Picked up my race pack and realised I am in the pink or last wave.... think i was very pessimistic over my possible time. Hoping to run it in under a hour but may be hard if surrounded by walkers!

2nd half of the course much tougher than the first in my opinion, once you hit the magazine fort it's game on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Am doing the 10k hopefully, never done this race before, I do feckall hills so that cud kybosh my plans for world domination. I'm ok with it not being a club event, hope to support a good few of those over the year either way, if I wasn't doing this race it'd be the bhaa 4 miler Saturday morn for defo but it is what it is as they say in Dubai. Good luck fellow athletes!

Advertisement