Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Great' Ireland run 2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Am I correct in thinking AAI entries have to be collected on the day?

Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

no it's lifestyle sports in blanch until 7pm tonite, from 10am to 4pm tomorrow or failing that you can collect from the information tent Sunday morn from 8.30, that's the info I took down when I applied

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks JMSE.....one of the lads from the club picked it up in Blanch today.....I had it in my head that collection on the day was the only option.
    JMSE wrote: »
    no it's lifestyle sports in blanch until 7pm tonite, from 10am to 4pm tomorrow or failing that you can collect from the information tent Sunday morn from 8.30, that's the info I took down when I applied

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

So with hills etc in 2nd half... advice on strategy for running this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Having only raced flat courses before found the 2nd half of that v tough..

My PB is 44:57 and was 8 seconds slower than that this time out even though I have done a lot of training since then. Doing a flat course next week so hoping without hills I will be able to take a bit off my PB.

Enjoyed the event and thought it was well laid out and organised overall but I was annoyed there was no toilet paper in toilets 30 mins before race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I really enjoyed it today. Very well organised. The hills were not as tough as I had expected. Weather was perfect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

I enjoyed it but really agree with the lack of toilet paper and basically disgusting facilities!

Finished in a hour and 23seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Lovely race today - PB so I'm happy! Very close to sub 50, but that can wait til another day I guess! Good afternoon all round and hope everyone else enjoyed it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Lovely race today - PB so I'm happy! Very close to sub 50, but that can wait til another day I guess! Good afternoon all round and hope everyone else enjoyed it too!

If you were close to sub50 on that course, you will definitely pick it up somewhere flatter.

I enjoyed the race and I liked the route. It was a mentally and physically tough one for me because at km2 I had to make the decision of slowing down completely because I could feel discomfort in my legs from overtraining (my own fault, I know) I was on course for a PB and everything was right, even the weather, but I just knew right there it wasn't going to happen.

I ended up finishing in my worst time ever but I know it was for the greater good. Will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Worst time ever for me too in 11 attempts but i like the course and thought i would be even slower:o 6+ months to DCM '17,a new focus starts now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

hawkwing wrote: »
    Worst time ever for me too in 11 attempts but i like the course and thought i would be even slower:o 6+ months to DCM '17,a new focus starts now!

AMEN! Not in the running for a marathon just yet but will be trying her half-sister this year - will be my first attempt at that distance.

Nice t-shirt - colour and artwork are lovely.

That was my 1st 'real' Phoenix park race I.e one that took in those hills - that's a tough 5k although the 1st 5k is a dream. I'm pretty sure I wud have lay down on the tar if there'd been one more climb. Happy to have done it, now to beat the time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TommyGrealy

So with hills etc in 2nd half... advice on strategy for running this race?
    Um, a bit late for this year but for anyone doing it in 2018... Here's my advice:
    Arrive at the 5k mark having run at a comfortable pace.  The last 500m of km 4-5 is a big downhill. People will pass you here.. LET THEM!!! You need to use this hill to recover for what is ahead of you on the back 5k. When you are on the back 5k you will loose speed and drop some time, but remember there are only 3 big hills and there is some recovery time between each of them. The last of the 3 is the steepest but also the shortest. The last K is nice (it was for me anyway:) ), you can see the finish line from the 9k mark which is nice in some ways. I really enjoyed this years race. Good condiditons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

If the wind is blowing the wrong way the last 1km can be pretty nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Um, a bit late for this year but for anyone doing it in 2018... Here's my advice:
    Arrive at the 5k mark having run at a comfortable pace.  The last 500m of km 4-5 is a big downhill. People will pass you here.. LET THEM!!! You need to use this hill to recover for what is ahead of you on the back 5k. When you are on the back 5k you will loose speed and drop some time, but remember there are only 3 big hills and there is some recovery time between each of them. The last of the 3 is the steepest but also the shortest. The last K is nice (it was for me anyway:) ), you can see the finish line from the 9k mark which is nice in some ways. I really enjoyed this years race. Good condiditons

As someone who ran the first 5k in 21:00 and second 5k in 24:00 I probably could have done with this advice. What should my splits of looked like to get a better time?

Like if had done the first 5k in 22:30 should I then we looking at doing the second 5k in 22:00 even with the hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

As someone who ran the first 5k in 21:00 and second 5k in 24:00 I probably could have done with this advice. What should my splits of looked like to get a better time?

Like if had done the first 5k in 22:30 should I then we looking at doing the second 5k in 22:00 even with the hills?

FWIW I used the strategy as above by TommyGrealy and ran the first 5K pretty comfortable in 22:37 (my 5K pb is about a min quicker) and ran the second half in 23:25. Going on what I knew of the course and what I read on previous reports I expected to lose 30-60 seconds on the second half. I ran the course on the Thursday night last week for a refresher.

Something similar to you DiegoB, I lost over a minute on the 2nd half. Looking back I cant believe my pace dropped only 35 seconds in both miles 4 and 5. It sure felt a lot worse, although my 'plan' was to do my best to be quick on the downhills after a slog on the ups, I've heard an online coach recommending your heartbeat on the uphills should ideally be the same as on the downhills. That doesnt mean I even looked at my heartrate once, but I took the advice and let the uphill do what it would to my pace as long as I'd give it a bit of welly going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Ran the first half in 17:01 ( 5k pb 16:50). Ran second half in 18:05 (for a new pb). Found the hills torture in second half. It was a case of survival. Every bit of me wanted to stop!

Advertisement