Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispute over a leakage

Options
  • 09-03-2016 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I live in a 1 bed flat where the kitchen is part of the living room.

The app block went into liquidation some years ago and is now owned by KPMG, some Nama thing.

The apps are let by a local auctioneers working on KPMG's behalf.

Approx 7 weeks ago the kitchen tap started leaking from the spout. I have to listen to this drip drip dripping all day long. The landlord had a guy come round and look at it and said to me 'that will take some fixing'. Since then he never returned.

I have contacted and indeed visited her at their offices on no less than 10 occasions in order to get her to get this plumber to come back and fix it.

She said to me the plumber said there was nothing wrong with the tap. Since then one evening I forgot to slide the tap over the sink and left it on the side where when I got up in the morning the water tricked down to the floor and was very wet but but not flooded.

On every occasion I visited her to complain she fobs me off saying that the plumber was on the case and on other occasions saying the plumber said there was noting wrong with it. It's absolutely driving me mental because of the noise it makes. Drip drip drip, Chinese torture. And now it's gotten worse where it's a constant small stream of water. If I could fix it myself I would but I don't have the tools and wouldn't be able to turn the water supply off as the mains off switch is somewhere outside.

I lost the cool with the landlord yesterday and I'm not going back to her again as she's making a total fool of me and obviously couldn't care less how this issue is bothering me.

Does anyone have a clue how I should deal with this issue from this point onwards. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its a new tap needed. Takes about a hour to do. Since its nama owned, send a registered letter to the agent asking for a repair within 5 working days or you will be lodging a case with the prtb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To stop the constant dripping noise you can tie a bit of thread to the tap and the water will flow down this instead of dripping.

What sort of plumber says a dripping tap can't be fixed and walks off? If it can't be fixed, which is most likely just a replacement washer, then it needs to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Del2005 wrote: »
    To stop the constant dripping noise you can tie a bit of thread to the tap and the water will flow down this instead of dripping.

What sort of plumber says a dripping tap can't be fixed and walks off? If it can't be fixed, which is most likely just a replacement washer, then it needs to be replaced.

Believe me I have tried all these type of things to mitigate the annoying effect of the sound. I would disable the whole thing if I could but it's not possible as there's no valve under the sink to turn off. But it's the kitchen sink so whatever thread or cloth I put on it ( and it's not that effective anyway ) I have to keep taking it off and on throughout the day when I need to use it.

Yes exactly your point about the plumber. You can see why I'm so frustrated. I think he's their general handyman which is why I was prepared to wait till he's free. Thanks for your suggestion though. I can't understand why the landlord would think I would come into her office repeatedly , if there was no problem ! Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Just get another plumber in to do it and either send the bill to the landlord or deduct it out of the next months rent. Man up for gods sake.

Its a new tap needed. Takes about a hour to do. Since its nama owned, send a registered letter to the agent asking for a repair within 5 working days or you will be lodging a case with the prtb.

Thank you , I'll do that. Is there a general guideline as to how quickly an issue of maintenance should be reasonably attended to ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

If you sink has a shutoff valve under it, you could turn that off to stop the dripping temporarily till it's sorted.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Just get another plumber in to do it and either send the bill to the landlord or deduct it out of the next months rent. Man up for gods sake.

Of course I've though of doing that. It's not a question of 'man-ing up' . It's a question of legality. One can't just deduct charges from one's rent. If I was dealing with a private landlord I would go your route but I'm dealing with KPMG and from what I hear their ruthless.

Cheers for the insult though.

elfy4eva wrote: »
    If you sink has a shutoff valve under it, you could turn that off to stop the dripping temporarily till it's sorted.

It doesn't have one you see. I've checked. In anycase there is clearly no one coming to fix it later anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It sounds like it needs a washer.
    colossus-x wrote: »
    The app block went into liquidation some years ago and is now owned by KPMG
    Most likely, the property is held by a liquidator on behalf of creditors. The liquidator has no personal interest in the property.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Have you checked for a shut off valve in your hotpress? That's where it is in my apartment. If it's driving you completely mental and you can get the water shut off, have a go at fixing it yourself.

• Advertisement

Of course I've though of doing that. It's not a question of 'man-ing up' . It's a question of legality. One can't just deduct charges from one's rent. If I was dealing with a private landlord I would go your route but I'm dealing with KPMG and from what I hear their ruthless.

Cheers for the insult though.
    No insult intended. I think you'd be perfectly within your rights to get it fixed and pass the bill on. There has to be a shut off valve in the apartment as others have said.

No insult intended. I think you'd be perfectly within your rights to get it fixed and pass the bill on. There has to be a shut off valve in the apartment as others have said.

I know for a fact there isn't. I already looked into this. There is no shut off valve specifically for the kitchen sink. There is one shut off value for the whole apt which is outside under the pavement. No other shut-off valve exist anywhere in the apt. That's just the way it's wired.

I totally agree with you, I'd be totally within my 'ethical' rights to do as you suggested. But I'm sure that that line of action would get me in more trouble, as dealing with these people with any issue I've had so far has never been straightforward.

Victor wrote: »
    It sounds like it needs a washer.Most likely, the property is held by a liquidator on behalf of creditors. The liquidator has no personal interest in the property.

Yes I know it need a bloddy washer, but it's not trivial to fix if one doesn't have the tools and can't turn the water supply off.
    The liquidator has no personal interest in the property.

Of course they don't have a personal interest in the property. They have a personal interest in the wonga though.

I know for a fact there isn't. I already looked into this. There is no shut off valve specifically for the kitchen sink. There is one shut off value for the whole apt which is outside under the pavement. No other shut-off valve exist anywhere in the apt. That's just the way it's wired.

I totally agree with you, I'd be totally within my 'ethical' rights to do as you suggested. But I'm sure that that line of action would get me in more trouble, as dealing with these people with any issue I've had so far has never been straightforward.

Sound like very unreasonable people. Good luck anyway hope you get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Yes I know it need a bloddy washer, but it's not trivial to fix if one doesn't have the tools and can't turn the water supply off.

Of course they don't have a personal interest in the property. They have a personal interest in the wonga though.

Please post in a civil manner on this forum. Thanks

Mod

Sound like very unreasonable people. Good luck anyway hope you get sorted.

Thank you.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Please post in a civil manner on this forum. Thanks

Mod

I've got all the info I need on this bloody thread so please feel free to close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement