Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puppy with ear mites

• 09-03-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Have a 10 week old retriever pup, was shaking his head and scratching ears. Took him to the vet tonight. Vet suspected ear mites as he was around a cat a few days ago. The vet treated him and said he should be fine in 24 hours. He was fine for a few hours but now the poor thing is whimpering a lot and scratching again. is there anything I can do to relieve his discomfort or is time now the cure? Don't want to start putting anything in his ears in case it affects the medication in there already. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Our Beagle had ear mites when he was a pup. It's pretty common. We got the drops which sorted it. I wouldn't say your puppy should still be experiencing discomfort. Time to go back to the vet as the treatment hasn't worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thornit powder is very good for mites and clearing up ears - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thornit-Ear-Powder-20-g/dp/B00560R08Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457606005&sr=8-1&keywords=thornit

What are you feeding him? I have 2 retrievers and the younger one had mucky ears all the time and it was from rice I was mixing in with her (raw) food so I try not to give them anything with rice and the ears cleared up straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What is the stuff that's in his ears? If it's canaural it needs to be repeated every day for 3 weeks. Last time one of my dogs had ear mites I went to a different vet and got a spot on. Far better than ear drops and sorted the problem straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

One of my dogs got ear mites as a puppy, and it was on/off for years after that. I used to clean his ears regularly, but more when he was shaking his head/at his ears - barely damp a bit of cotton wool, to see if there was 'black' gunk. The "Thornit" (available on the internet) was good. Eventually he stopped having this problem, but he liked having his ears cleaned by then, so I would always run a damp tissue around all of the dogs ears... just part of their routine

Advertisement