Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 updates driving me crazy

Options
  • 09-03-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Brand new laptop, and in about 2 months, i've had about 10 "updates" from windows that take forever to complete.

I am also convinced that they deliberately crash/freeze my laptop in order to install them, am I wrong?

I assume they aren't taking anything off my laptop?

Aldo, is there any way to stop these automatic updates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Windows 10 is very intrusive, google it and you will see a lot of discontent regarding that, so yeah like all other windows, they are taking information from your laptop, only its a lot harder to stop it on Windows 10...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/ Click on the link to do so./

The updates are so common as its relatively brand new and as they come across bugs they get fixed, its not something to complain about really.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/ Follow the instructions to stop the automatic updates.

My computer hasn't crashed once with any update, im afraid i cant help you, perhaps its an incomplete update due to a crash or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Time to remove the tin-hat and set it to one side. Yes win 10 collects telemetry data (look it up) to help improve the product over time. If you are having crashes due to updates there is a strong possibility that this is due to a corrupt update which you can attempt to fix or you could perform a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

vicwatson wrote: »
    Brand new laptop, and in about 2 months, i've had about 10 "updates" from windows that take forever to complete.

Your laptop probably wasn't "brand new". It probably was behind a few months with windows updates and yes, there have been several fairly big updates since it was launched nearly a year ago.

I wouldn't switch them off unless you are happy to work on an unsafe PC...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Nevermind that you cannot actually switch off Windows Updates under Win10 on the "Consumer" and "Professional Edition", though there have been mixed reports on this.

My impression is that Microsoft are effectively turning their non-Enterprise customers into unwilling beta testers before updates get approved for the LTSB (Enterprise) edition, I'm not happy about that prospect considering I have been twice bitten by Windows Updates sending my PC into a reboot loop.

I would still advise the average user not disabling updates at all, but, I lament that Win10 doesn't give the option to avoid installing "Recommended" updates which are not security updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Perhaps the laptop is struggling to complete the updates on wifi and if the laptop keeps powering down.

Might be an idea to connect directly to your router via ethernet, and leave it on until it completes the updates.

I don't understand why there are so many "massive" updates. I've considered moving to Linux just to get away from these updates.

I reckon Microsoft want everyone on the same version of the OS so they can flog universal Apps to people the same way Apple do, as its very profitable. Only MS will make a very poor copy of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

if you have the professional version of windows 10, you can stop the updates from auto downloading and installing by editing a local group policy. you still get an annoying window nearly every time you boot that you have to click on "get updates" in order to get by the window, but you then just close the window that opens and do not install the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

one of the updates may have been 'build 1511' which is huge and takes a long time to download and install. Once it is done however you should be ok as it is a good upgrade from original version of Windows 10.

if you google there are a whole load of tweaks you can do to remove unwanted apps from Windows 10 and speed it up.

example - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-clever-powershell-functions-upgrading-windows-10/

Disabling the app notifications I find also helps especially on older hardware. (see http://www.askvg.com/tip-disable-notifications-and-action-center-in-windows-10/)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

tin foil hat ;) also make sure you tape off your cam, its being used to spy on you

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/webcams-mics/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cactusmania

If you're using wifi, you can set it as a "metered connection". Windows will not download any updates until you go into the updates section and click the download button. To do this, click start button, settings, network and internet, and under wifi, click adavanced options. Scroll down to where it says 'metered connection', and click to turn on.

Also, you can turn off windows updates by going to Services. Click start button, type services and click on the one that says 'Services desktop app', scroll down to find 'windows update'. Click it and then click stop service. You may also disable it so that it does not start when windows boots up. Right click,select properties, and under 'startup type' choose disabled, apply and then OK.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If you're using wifi, you can set it as a "metered connection". Windows will not download any updates until you go into the updates section and click the download button. To do this, click start button, settings, network and internet, and under wifi, click adavanced options. Scroll down to where it says 'metered connection', and click to turn on.

Also, you can turn off windows updates by going to Services. Click start button, type services and click on the one that says 'Services desktop app', scroll down to find 'windows update'. Click it and then click stop service. You may also disable it so that it does not start when windows boots up. Right click,select properties, and under 'startup type' choose disabled, apply and then OK.

Good luck.

I've had to do that with 2 W7 computers here at home. Wu was hogging the processor to 100% continuously, making them unusable.

• Advertisement

Poncke wrote: »
    tin foil hat ;) also make sure you tape off your cam, its being used to spy on you

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/webcams-mics/

Ha ha. A guy in work has that done to his laptop, paranoid muppet..

jca wrote: »
    I've had to do that with 2 W7 computers here at home. Wu was hogging the processor to 100% continuously, making them unusable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/380169-windows-update-causing-cpu-run-100-a.html

jca wrote: »
    Ha ha. A guy in work has that done to his laptop, paranoid muppet..

I know several people who have the cam taped. You never know it its true or not. I dont buy it, but even if it is, I cant be bothered.

Apologies for the off topic.

Poncke wrote: »

I tried that. It reduced the cpu load to 50% but even after being left running for 5 hours, still no updates downloaded or installed.

Advertisement