Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dkit vs Dcu

Options
  • 10-03-2016 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Iam trying to look for a accounting course and there is one in dkit where I live and in Dcu. Iam just wondering would you get a job if you study in dkit because it's a it because I want to work in Deloitte. So which is better Dcu or Dkit. Please help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I know this isn't answering your question, but you really shouldn't decide you want to study a particular career just because you'd like to work in one particular company. If you want to be an accountant, by all means then work towards it, but I don't think a potential doctor should have already decided that he'd like to work in St. James's, or a potential mechanical engineer should have decided that she wants to work for Ford.

There are plenty of car companies, plenty of hospitals, and plenty of accounting firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Frank1234 wrote: »
    Iam trying to look for a accounting course and there is one in dkit where I live and in Dcu. Iam just wondering would you get a job if you study in dkit because it's a it because I want to work in Deloitte. So which is better Dcu or Dkit. Please help. Thanks

You're going to come across snobs in all industries where they think an education in Trinity or UCD trumps all. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about this and if you get the wrong person reading your CV they may not think a DKIT or even a DCU degree is up to scratch. Thankfully most people are not like this.
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with an education in DKIT. That's where I earned an honours BSc and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Lecturers and facilities were fantastic. Class sizes were also a lot smaller which meant it was a lot easier to ask questions and go over topics you are struggling with.

There are numerous other factors to weigh up also. Travel time, travel costs, social life, are you going to get a part time job etc

I'd also agree with locum-motion, I wouldn't limit yourself to focusing on working for one company. Sometimes its better to get experience in a smaller company and then move to one of the larger ones when you've built up the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

For any big multinational like Deloitte there's absolutely no doubt: a University is better than an IT. This applies across the board for any industry, and there's a pecking order in the Universities too - Trinity would be seen as better than the others by many companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Frank1234

doncarlos wrote: »
    You're going to come across snobs in all industries where they think an education in Trinity or UCD trumps all. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about this and if you get the wrong person reading your CV they may not think a DKIT or even a DCU degree is up to scratch. Thankfully most people are not like this.
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with an education in DKIT. That's where I earned an honours BSc and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Lecturers and facilities were fantastic. Class sizes were also a lot smaller which meant it was a lot easier to ask questions and go over topics you are struggling with.

There are numerous other factors to weigh up also. Travel time, travel costs, social life, are you going to get a part time job etc

I'd also agree with locum-motion, I wouldn't limit yourself to focusing on working for one company. Sometimes its better to get experience in a smaller company and then move to one of the larger ones when you've built up the experience.

What degree did you do in dkit and by this did you get a job.

I know this isn't answering your question, but you really shouldn't decide you want to study a particular career just because you'd like to work in one particular company. If you want to be an accountant, by all means then work towards it, but I don't think a potential doctor should have already decided that he'd like to work in St. James's, or a potential mechanical engineer should have decided that she wants to work for Ford.

There are plenty of car companies, plenty of hospitals, and plenty of accounting firms.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you about starting from small companies but can you tell me why I should choose institute over university or why I should choose university over institute. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If you are going on to a career in financial services, I would check what exemptions you will get for the professional bodies once you have completed your course (ICAI, ACCA, CIMA etc.). That is probably the most important thing from a personal perspective as you can earn more, get promotions and be more attractive in the eyes of an employer.

While the likes of Trinity may look good on your CV, you get very few exemptions for the professional bodies once their accounting courses are complete. Not much use if you want to be a fully qualified accountant.

The likes of DCU and DKIT as far as I know give you full ICAI CAP1 exemptions once you've finished your degree and full CAP2 once you've completed a Masters. After CAP2 you're into your final exams which once complete and once you've gotten the relevant experience as a trainee (more beneficial to your career when you're a trainee in one of the big four - KPMG, PwC, Deloitte, EY) you're fully qualified.

Big four experience is what looks best on your CV once it comes to looking for a job after you've completed your traineeship so in aiming for Deloitte you're on the right track. I wouldn't limit myself to Deloitte if I was you though. PwC would arguably be higher ranked than Deloitte in terms of "prestige" so to speak.

In a nutshell, you're probably better going for DCU as it offers you all of the exemptions and "looks better" on the CV than an IT. But I wouldn't discount DKIT entirely as you still have essentially the same exemptions as DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Frank1234 wrote: »
    What degree did you do in dkit and by this did you get a job.

Information and technology management and yes. Was offered a job before I had finished my exams

cournioni has fantastic advice there.

cournioni wrote: »
    If you are going on to a career in financial services, I would check what exemptions you will get for the professional bodies once you have completed your course (ICAI, ACCA, CIMA etc.). That is probably the most important thing from a personal perspective as you can earn more, get promotions and be more attractive in the eyes of an employer.

While the likes of Trinity may look good on your CV, you get very few exemptions for the professional bodies once their accounting courses are complete. Not much use if you want to be a fully qualified accountant.

The likes of DCU and DKIT as far as I know give you full ICAI CAP1 exemptions once you've finished your degree and full CAP2 once you've completed a Masters. After CAP2 you're into your final exams which once complete and once you've gotten the relevant experience as a trainee (more beneficial to your career when you're a trainee in one of the big four - KPMG, PwC, Deloitte, EY) you're fully qualified.

Big four experience is what looks best on your CV once it comes to looking for a job after you've completed your traineeship so in aiming for Deloitte you're on the right track. I wouldn't limit myself to Deloitte if I was you though. PwC would arguably be higher ranked than Deloitte in terms of "prestige" so to speak.

In a nutshell, you're probably better going for DCU as it offers you all of the exemptions and "looks better" on the CV than an IT. But I wouldn't discount DKIT entirely as you still have essentially the same exemptions as DCU.

Thanks everyone who replied in this post. I think i am going to dkit because it has more exemption in acca than dcu. Thank you

bpmurray wrote: »
    For any big multinational like Deloitte there's absolutely no doubt: a University is better than an IT. This applies across the board for any industry, and there's a pecking order in the Universities too - Trinity would be seen as better than the others by many companies.

Slightly off topic as it invloves veterinary nursing, but my wife is studying it at DKIT, where it is a three year ordinary degree and UCD offer the course as a four year honours degree.

While DKIT is closer to us in terms of milage, most vets my wife talked to before starting the course prefer to employ nurses from DKIT as the course is better structured etc in their opinion than UCD. The extra year spent in UCD to make it an honours degree is used to teach Spanish and office related modules mainly with no additional veterinary training.

You might have your heart set on working for one specific company and they may prefer DCU, but it would be worth talking to other firms/accountants to see what their opinion on each institution and the quality of the course and go for the best in their opinion.

Advertisement