Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 2 + 3), March 11-14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

doncarlos wrote: »
    Very very poor against Dundalk last week. As bad as Limerick were at the start of last season. So much for them being a surprise package.

Handy enough win for Dundalk tonight. Harps tried to play a bit of football and looked fit but just beaten by a better side. They could easily stay up
    Handy win alright and we could have had six or seven goals. Only real negatives were our crossing and Darren Meenan. We must have butchered at least five decent chances by sending in rubbish overhit crosses.

I don't like being too critical of Meegan because he's obviously a skilful player with lots of pace and a good attitude. However he makes so many mistakes and gives the ball away so many times its unreal. If Kenny hasn't sorted him out at this stage he never well. Bar his set piece delivery he's not bringing much to the table.

Positives from last night: Shields class as usual. Nice home debut from McEleaney. Whole team look ultra fit as usual. Bring on Cork next Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

First game supporting Waterford, the result didn't end well but at least there was plenty of goals

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

cms88 wrote: »
    First game supporting Waterford, the result didn't end well but at least there was plenty of goals

Enjoy the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Back to normal for Cork City, all that optimism we had in pre season well and truly gone. Wasnt there myself but apparently we were lobbing long balls upto little Seanie McGuire? Any of the Derry lads want to confirm that? This time next week I expect us to be 6 points behind Dundalk which is a shame because I really really believed we would be alot better this year. Im the fool I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Amirani wrote: »
    Enjoy the game?

Yes I did. Looking forward to getting to more of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to Derry. They wanted it more. And great tribute to Farren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That Kurtis Byrne goal was worth the price of the season ticket alone. Outstanding in an absolutely dreadful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hearing some Cork fans were subjected to an attack outside the Brandywell last night. Hope everyone is ok.

Serious questions have to be asked about the safety of visiting teams and fans to that ground. Do we have to wait for somebody to be killed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Havnt heard anything of that but their fans inside Finn Park last week didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either.

Didn't make it to the games yesterday but from listening to the radio... And Ollie I think the Dundalk fans are being generous... Injuries mounting too which I a worry. Coll, Houston, Molloy, j mailey, rafter and McConnell and gallaghers new job means he is going to struggle to make games

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Hearing some Cork fans were subjected to an attack outside the Brandywell last night. Hope everyone is ok.

Serious questions have to be asked about the safety of visiting teams and fans to that ground. Do we have to wait for somebody to be killed?

Even as Cork fan I'm willing to admit there be few Cork fans who are no saints themselves.

Good kick up the hole they would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

dfx- wrote: »
    Rovers are carrying Drennan since last June, Shaw should be starting in front of him. Struggled with a four man midfield.

I heard a couple of Rovers fans saying the same thing. I thought Drennan was going to set the league on fire. However, he has gone flat for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Two things to take from tonight's match. Unless things massively improve, Rovers are winning nothing this year.

Wexford won't get relegated.

They say bad news travels fast, but good news needs a mention. Not a bother from any Rovers fans last night and the stewards and staff were very friendly and efficient, a credit to the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Even as Cork fan I'm willing to admit there be few Cork fans who are no saints themselves.

Good kick up the hole they would want.

Do you know why there were Cliftonville fans in among the Cork fans at the Brandywell last night?

To be honest this sh1t around attacks on visiting fans and buses is a thorn in our side and imho always will be as long as we play our games where we do. Its an area with too many wee scumbags living in it, and any excuse for a bit of bother. We need a more 'neutral' venue. But that's never going to happen I'm afraid.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do you know why there were Cliftonville fans in among the Cork fans at the Brandywell last night?

To be honest this sh1t around attacks on visiting fans and buses is a thorn in our side and imho always will be as long as we play our games where we do. Its an area with too many wee scumbags living in it, and any excuse for a bit of bother. We need a more 'neutral' venue. But that's never going to happen I'm afraid.

I knew 2 lads at it and they didn't hear that there were other fans in that end.

Tbh me and the couple of City fans that I do know (about 8 or 9) have always got on with Derry. It's pity but feel sorry for genuine supporters cause Derry has great fan Base.

City have few arseholes too and they seem could out for Rovers and Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Personally I think it's a situation that will have to be sorted. Based on geographical location alone Derry don't come under the jurisdiction of the FAI so it's pretty unfair that the very team being facilitated end up being the problem child.

• Advertisement

Its an ongoing issue, and to be honest it is made possible due to the fact that the PSNI don't come near the ground on match nights. This would only create more bother.

Believe me, it pains me to say it, as our club is always dragged through the mud by scum who live locally and who use any excuse for a bit of bother. Its a rough area and you are always going to get this. I would love to see us located somewhere else in the city, but unfortunately we don't own the ground, we have no money so we are at the mercy of the local council as to where we play.

You have to remember that those who cause trouble up here probably don't even go to games themselves. So to attach them to DCFC is a bit unfair. Its a social issue, not a footballing one.

There is also some chat up here that there was some sort of organised fight pre-planned. Not sure if there is any truth in this at all.

Its all very sad. Derry and Cork fans have a great history of goodwill between them, raising money for each other when the clubs were in financial difficulty. To let a few scumbags ruin this and ruin our reputation in the league is sad. Same for those that were in Finn Park last week. There's an element who love heading off on a bus, getting tanked up, and causing trouble...I would love to see a few of them get a good clubbing believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

****e game at dalyer last night but good result. That ref was fond of his yellows all the same.

Had a couple of lads from Dortmund behind me which was odd, chanting away. Big enough crowd. Hopefully it keeps up.

Its an ongoing issue, and to be honest it is made possible due to the fact that the PSNI don't come near the ground on match nights. This would only create more bother.

Believe me, it pains me to say it, as our club is always dragged through the mud by scum who live locally and who use any excuse for a bit of bother. Its a rough area and you are always going to get this. I would love to see us located somewhere else in the city, but unfortunately we don't own the ground, we have no money so we are at the mercy of the local council as to where we play.

You have to remember that those who cause trouble up here probably don't even go to games themselves. So to attach them to DCFC is a bit unfair. Its a social issue, not a footballing one.

There is also some chat up here that there was some sort of organised fight pre-planned. Not sure if there is any truth in this at all.

Its all very sad. Derry and Cork fans have a great history of goodwill between them, raising money for each other when the clubs were in financial difficulty. To let a few scumbags ruin this and ruin our reputation in the league is sad. Same for those that were in Finn Park last week. There's an element who love heading off on a bus, getting tanked up, and causing trouble...I would love to see a few of them get a good clubbing believe me.

I don't think it will ruin the good relationship. If anybody has common sense they will realise it was few local people then actual people that went to game.

There was 2 Cliftonville fans with City fans on Friday, a father in his 40's and his teenage son, who are friends with a City fan to spends a bit of time in Belfast, what has that got to do with anything? Nit picking the Cork City away support wont make it any easier for you to realise that the scum around the Brandywell will actually deter fans from going up there. Whoever is attempting to police that area is doing a disgraceful job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Having seen quotes that the police won't go around the Brandywell area. That should be an immediate licensing fail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I heard a couple of Rovers fans saying the same thing. I thought Drennan was going to set the league on fire. However, he has gone flat for some reason.

He has not been the same since his red card for losing the plot against Derry last June. Maybe Fenlon has told him to reign in 'the edginess' he had or he has matured or lost that edge, he has to be dropped.

Looking forward to Harps away again. Think it's nailed on for a 1-1 draw.

CHealy wrote: »
    There was 2 Cliftonville fans with City fans on Friday, a father in his 40's and his teenage son, who are friends with a City fan to spends a bit of time in Belfast, what has that got to do with anything? Nit picking the Cork City away support wont make it any easier for you to realise that the scum around the Brandywell will actually deter fans from going up there. Whoever is attempting to police that area is doing a disgraceful job.

I simply read on the Derry forums that there was CFC fans among the Cork fans on Friday. I didn't know how many or anything, just what I read. I thought it meant more than just 2, but that explains it, nothing sinister going on obviously.

As for fans being deterred coming up here, you are preaching to the converted. I hate the fact that a few scumbags are dragging our name through the mud. Unfortunately we don't have a normal society up here. Its not a normal place when the police force won't enter for fear of causing more bother. They could of course come in, but the club and the community leaders have obviously negotiated some sort of deal where we will police it ourselves. There is only so much these 'security' folk can do, they can't be everywhere to cover every eventuality that might happen.

On Friday night we had young lads, no older than 12 or 13, letting off red smoke bombs, they were eventually ejected then threw some smoke bombs and stones over the walls of the stadium on to their own fans. This is the sort of scum we are dealing with. Parents don't give a feck about them causing bother. And unfortunately we are told that our new stadium has to be in this site, can't be anywhere else in the city or outskirts.

What the answer is, who knows?

In fairness NIMAN was not in any way trying justify the attacks and has been very fair in this debate.

the Derry City fans are not to blame here.

I'm on the side of all travelling fans here, as long as none of them come to cause trouble of course, which we have had in the past.

As a proud Derry man, it saddens me to see mindless scumbags and children of scumbags ruin the citys reputation, and the football clubs reputation. We are a very friendly city and are renowned for our welcome to visitors. The city has changed unbelieveably over the last 10 to 15 years, but there is still some problems of the past we are trying to shake off. The fact that the forces of law and order feel it would be best that they stay away from the football stadium and let the club and community police it themselves is one of them. Many people would find this hard to understand, but if you know the history the security forces and police have in this city, you would understand.

Personally it pains me to see the clubs future in the Brandywell area of the city. Its not the right location in my opinion, but its not my call unfortunately. We need a more neutral venue, once that doesn't have monuments to IRA volunteers outside the stadium (which would alieniate a large section of people from the city alone), or wee scrotes outside attacking visitors or breaking windows of buses.

As I said, its a society problem, not a footballing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

For balance, I'll comment that the nicest set of visiting fans we ever had in Ferrycarrig was definitely Derry, during their year in the first division. Very funny bunch. Their First division conga line was hilarious :D

Missing the game out in Inchicore tonight in favour of a college assignment. The joys. :rolleyes:

No doubt we'll grab a winner out there for the first time in yonks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

That_Guy wrote: »
    Missing the game out in Inchicore tonight in favour of a college assignment. The joys. :rolleyes:

Probably a good thing you had that assignment. :D

Thats a good win for us ahead of the trip to Tallaght on Friday.

Easiest win I have ever seen at Turners Cross.

Longford were awful. If they ain't in bottom 2 come end of season I'll be shocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Consider yourself lucky that you had work to do.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Consider yourself lucky that you had work to do.

Looked a very bad day at the office. Perhaps Akinade getting sent off will have us playing ball on the deck rather than the temptation of lumping it up to him.

If we can't beat Wexford Youths at home, I'd be very worried even this early on in the season considering we've not lost too many players. If anything we've improved the squad.

How long now since we've won a game out in Inchicore? 2010? Awful record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Looked a very bad day at the office. Perhaps Akinade getting sent off will have us playing ball on the deck rather than the temptation of lumping it up to him.

If we can't beat Wexford Youths at home, I'd be very worried even this early on in the season considering we've not lost too many players. If anything we've improved the squad.

How long now since we've won a game out in Inchicore? 2010? Awful record.

Terrible first half from Bohs, bit better in the 2nd.

Need to get rid of that Jersey though.

Another good solid result for us in Bray tonight, another clean sheet too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Delighted with that result, a rare recent win for Rovers in Finn Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My one fear about the signings under Cooke was he looked towards his loyal Drogheda players who had just gotten relegated, and a bit older. Alan Byrne isn't a midfielder! Apparently Hugh Douglas was the biggest threat going forward, which doesn't say a lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pat's weren't great, but did deserve their win for sure. Created a couple of good chances in the game.

From a Bohs perspective: some very silly defending for the first goal and a stupid sending off from Akinade. Still haven't created any good chances of note 3 games in. Wexford game looking very important right now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kurtis Byrne's goal from Friday

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

dfx- wrote: »
    Delighted with that result, a rare recent win for Rovers in Finn Park

was strange reading the match preview, you have only beaten us twice in the last 10! (that stretches back to 2005 tho...)
    we contained ye well for the most part, neither keeper had that much to do. Forward did his job for the penalty, tapped it wide and trailed his leg to collect Brush. It should have been 2, Brush was beaten, and it was going in, Drennan just tapped it in at the back post but he was offside... wouldnt have liked to have been him if we equalised!
    We pressed during the last 15mins or so, got in a few good positions but lacked the incisiveness to trouble your keeper. Better team won but on another day (or with less injuries) we might have got something out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Easiest win I have ever seen at Turners Cross.

Longford were awful. If they ain't in bottom 2 come end of season I'll be shocked

One of the worst teams I have ever seen plat at Turners Cross and that includes when we were in the first division. 6 - 0 almost flattered them.

I liked Citys intensity last night. In previous times that game would ahve finished 2-1 after city sat back after going 2-0 up. Not last night, where they just continued to batter them. Beattie was a star. All 6 goals were pretty good as well.

Nice crowd of 2300. For a Monday thats very decent.

• Advertisement

If Karl Sheppard had put away his chances it would have been close to hitting double figures in TC last night, we hit the crossbar/post 3 times aswell. However good City were, and they were unreal, Longford had absolutely nothing to give, men against boys stuff.

We needed that game after the crap result up at Derry, hopefully of a point or three in Oriel on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

hopefully of a point or three in Oriel on Friday.

If we play as badly as we did in Wexford you may just get that.

Very lucky to come away with three points, we were bad all over the pitch. Big big improvements needed.

Might be minnowism on my behalf but Id settle for a draw right now.

is it on telly?

doncarlos wrote: »
    If we play as badly as we did in Wexford you may just get that.

Very lucky to come away with three points, we were bad all over the pitch. Big big improvements needed.

I've heard reports from all three games so far that Dundalk have been very flat in each, and a small bit predictable, yet ye are still 3 wins out of 3, as a Cork City fan, thats worrying. Although saying that, it hasnt been the a difficult run of games for Dundalk to start with.
    gimmick wrote: »

is it on telly?

I would also settle for a point, and no, seems the Ireland u20's get priority over the two biggest clubs in the country playing each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

seems the Ireland u20's get priority over the two biggest clubs in the country playing each other.

I genuinely laughed out loud at this...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

To be Fair CHealy, Rovers are 3 out of 3 none conceded, but are playing absolute shíte, I'd say it's more a shock for the Dundalk lads as they played a bit of football last year. We're just used to watching tripe

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Early days of course, but we could be in serious trouble. Our manager seems to have underestimated the league, and he is starting to realise that after 3 games.

Our strikers don't seem interested at all. We will struggle to score all season unless we can get someone else in or Robertson can sort them out.

Team is very light too. That was a big concern for a lot of fans in pre-season.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Our manager seems to have underestimated the league, and he is starting to realise that after 3 games.

McCaffrey did that with us in 2012. I hope for your sake that Robertson has not done it with you as it is difficult to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oat23 wrote: »
    Early days of course, but we could be in serious trouble. Our manager seems to have underestimated the league, and he is starting to realise that after 3 games.

Our strikers don't seem interested at all. We will struggle to score all season unless we can get someone else in or Robertson can sort them out.

Team is very light too. That was a big concern for a lot of fans in pre-season.

That's what's happened at bray too, be a long season. Although last year it took 5 games for a goal, so still early days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

gimmick wrote: »
    I would also settle for a point,

I'd take a point myself. We haven't been playing overly well but will improve. Cork may well be similar so a point might suit both teams at this stage of the season.
    I've heard reports from all three games so far that Dundalk have been very flat in each, and a small bit predictable, yet ye are still 3 wins out of 3, as a Cork City fan, thats worrying. Although saying that, it hasnt been the a difficult run of games for Dundalk to start with.

We've been ok in first couple of games. Bray were beyond woeful so it's difficult to judge that one but against Finn Harps we were a lot better. We are short a cutting edge up front and if we do fail to retain the league it'll be that Kenny didn't do anything to resolve this

I would also settle for a point, and no, seems the Ireland u20's get priority over the two biggest clubs in the country playing each other.

The lads on Off tHe Ball were pretty upset by this last night. Stuey Byrne stopped short of calling the FAI and RTE downright incompetent for not televising what is a guarantted massive crowd between the countries top 2 of the last few seasons.

He even reckoned had RTE approached the FAI to try change it well in advance they would have been told hop it.

What a league :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement