Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympia on my own

Options
  • 10-03-2016 3:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

I've been to this great venue a few times but never alone. It's all seated, that's why I don't like the idea of going alone. The gig I may be going to is irrelevant. Anyone been here alone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

The Olympia is not all seating.
    The bottom floor is standing - you'd probably be better off there

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Went to Royal Blood alone in the Olympia, was standing downstairs. Wasnt a problem, I've gone to plenty of gigs by myself so it doesn't really phase me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

sebcity wrote: »
    The Olympia is not all seating.

Some gigs are all seater.
    I've been to this great venue a few times but never alone. It's all seated, that's why I don't like the idea of going alone. The gig I may be going to is irrelevant. Anyone been here alone?

It's all about personal preference. Are you going to feel uncomfortable on your own and is that going to spoil your enjoyment? If yes, then don't do it.

I sat on my own in the Olympia once, a gig I really wanted to go to but friends had no interest. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Sat there, drank a few pints, listened to the music, went home.
    (It was Suede playing 'Coming Up', what a show...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I go to gigs all the time on my own, then again I photograph a lot of shows hence why I do. Either way, going alone never bothers me unless it's a really small or empty gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I've gone to gigs on my own before, I used to feel awkward about it but got over it pretty soon when you see a great gig and you think to yourself "f**k I cant believe i nearly missed that!!!"

When I'm flying solo at a gig I look up the stage times beforehand on their website or twitter and I usual plan to arrive at the venue about 5 mins before the gigs starts, grab a beer and find a spot to stand/sit. It minimises the amount of time hanging around on your lonesome.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ive been to a couple of gigs on my own.. not as fun as going with friends but still enjoyed it... id say go.. you will only be regretting it in the evening when you are sat at home thinking that you could have been there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

I've been to loads of gigs alone, just not seated ones. **** it, why the hell not

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

lc180 wrote: »
    I've gone to gigs on my own before, I used to feel awkward about it but got over it pretty soon when you see a great gig and you think to yourself "f**k I cant believe i nearly missed that!!!"

When I'm flying solo at a gig I look up the stage times beforehand on their website or twitter and I usual plan to arrive at the venue about 5 mins before the gigs starts, grab a beer and find a spot to stand/sit. It minimises the amount of time hanging around on your lonesome.

Hope this helps

Im the very same , once the band comes on its like when you go see a band a festival on your own. Plus why should you miss out on a gig just because your friends dont wanna go.

90% of the gigs i go to on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Im the very same , once the band comes on its like when you go see a band a festival on your own. Plus why should you miss out on a gig just because your friends dont wanna go.

90% of the gigs i go to on my own

WORD!

It's so much easier and less hassle heading to a gig on yer tod, no faffing around on other peoples schedules or humming and hawing as to whether to bother. Over the last few years I've gone to a few EPs, Billy Idol, Lloyd Cole, Eels (x2), MSP and god knows how many others with meself alone. **** missing out on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Been to the Olympia a few times on my own, including seated gigs. Always found it grand tbh. Like others have said, check stage times so you're not waiting around for ages, get a drink, sit down and take in the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I sometimes have to go alone as a lot of my friends wrongly think my musical taste is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just go, no one takes any notice and yer one less person that might be yapping to their mates during the gig.

Everyone should learn to be comfortable at things like this by themselves , off course there's is getting too comfortable losing all your friends and getting a load of cats but ya know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can't think of a time I went on my own but would have no bother doing it. I have gotten separated from friends at gigs & festivals many times and enjoyed it just fine. I have been seated next to people on their own in the olympia too and thought nothing unusual about it, end up chatting to a few of them or singing along with them or generally not ignoring them.

Have gone to the cinema on my own which some also think is odd. There are some I go to gigs or the cinema with who would start chatting which I hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have on problems going to gigs on my own and have been to loads not just the Olympia ...my wife and don't share the same taste in music ...sometimes she will come with me but it have no problem going on my own...and that's the case for the cinema as well and I have normally would have dinner on my own before a gig...I enjoy it..
    Have a few pints OP and enjoy lots of others there will be in the same boat..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There have been a few threads before with people looking for like minded "gig buddies" to go along with.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

Going to Boyce Avenue tonight alone! I prefer smaller groups and flying solo because I'm not worrying about others then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've been to plenty of gigs on my own too, seated and standing. If it's a band you want to see you shouldn't feel like you have to miss out because there's no one to go with. I'll usually arrive 20 mins or so before the first act and grab a pint. Anyway, you wouldn't usually be talking to anyone once the band is on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

If you can't go see a band because you are afraid of being on your own , then you are not a fan of the band , therefor you shouldn't go see them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If you can't go see a band because you are afraid of being on your own , then you are not a fan of the band , therefor you shouldn't go see them

Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 38,415 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Loner loner lol only joking

I've been to gigs,wrestling events, Comedy's etc on my own and have enjoyed them. Usually grab a drink and browse boards and other things when waiting. Bit shy to talk to anyone around me

As I travel up and down from Waterford to Dublin I do be a bit nervous as junkies,thugs etc would target someone on there lonesome, also hate being around drunken idiots who will take the piss. It's not as fun on ur own but u can take ur time going to gigs etc. Some people can't go to the bathroom alone and some say it's weird to be a loner but ur the one who is living an awesome life.

Next gig I'm going to on my own is Bryan Adams in May in the 3arena. Late train up, luas (please god the strike will be over by then) to the point, see the gig and go home (dad loves driving and will collect me if I pay for petrol/food etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Heading to Muse on my own next month. Will be the first time doing it alone. The joys of having friends with very little interest in the music i like. Oh well drive up, enjoy the show, drive home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've done it heaps of times. You're going to a gig to listen to and watch a band, not to chat to people. In my opinion.
    I was in the seated section for Mogwai last year on my own. I got in early and noticed a lot of people sitting there on their own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I go to gigs on my own. Sometimes I'd prefer to go with friends depending on the artist but I don't like missing out on someone cos my mates can't make it.
    I went to Glastonbury on my own the first time a few years ago and have made a cracking group of friends who I now camp with and also meet up with at other times of the year. As it happens I'm moving in with one of the guys I met and couldn't be happier.
    I would say dont deny yourself as you just don't know what you could potentially be missing.
    Alternatively theres always the gigonometry group on Meet up who always seem to have a group going to gigs. Might be worth checking out. I get the emails but haven't gone to one as yet. Never say never though.

Now, anyone going to see Girlband at Vicar St???? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jazz169

I used to think I wouldn't be able to go by myself but then I look back at all the gigs I missed because my then other half didn't like the same bands I do. Trust me, it's better going by yourself than bringing someone who has no interest in the band and actually brings your enjoyment of the night down!

At least half of the gigs I go to nowadays, and I go to quite a few, would be by myself. Once the band come on you forget about it anyway. I sometimes struggle to remember which gigs I went to alone or with mates. As long as the band are good and I've enjoyed myself I'm happy.

Also, Mince Pie, I might see you at Girlband, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Never miss a gig because you don't have anyone to accompany you.

I do loads of things on my own, including trips to Ibiza and the clubs there.

Once you're an adult the rest of the world and what it thinks can f**k right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I go to gigs on my own. Sometimes I'd prefer to go with friends depending on the artist but I don't like missing out on someone cos my mates can't make it.
    I went to Glastonbury on my own the first time a few years ago and have made a cracking group of friends who I now camp with and also meet up with at other times of the year. As it happens I'm moving in with one of the guys I met and couldn't be happier.
    I would say dont deny yourself as you just don't know what you could potentially be missing.
    Alternatively theres always the gigonometry group on Meet up who always seem to have a group going to gigs. Might be worth checking out. I get the emails but haven't gone to one as yet. Never say never though.

Now, anyone going to see Girlband at Vicar St???? :P

I am convinced if i went with a gang to glastonbury i would have ditched them within an hour
    me: whats the plan
    them: off to pyramid stage to see......
    me: right ? i am off way over there .... see ya monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

went to see Noel Gallagher on me own a few years back at the 3 arena caus I had no option but to go by meself or miss the gig which I wasn't about to do as I'm a massive fan of his... I was really worried I'd look like a creep going in but honestly in the venue no one gives a toss about who your with or if your there by yourself your all there for the same reason now I'd have no problem going to a gig by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I remember being nervous and awkward going to shows alone at first. But after going to so many I feel the opposite now, I love going by myself! No waiting around for others and while friends would want to be at the back with a pint I prefer to be there early at the barrier.

However an outdoor show would scare me, as a metalhead Kendrick Lamar has been a guilty pleasure of mine. I am considering going but it is a tough decision. Going alone and being around that sort of crowd would be horrible. But then going with friends I would end up 1km from the stage surrounded by people only at the show for the sesh. Which is why I am thinking about not going to Longitude at all.

Have any others here gone to something outdoors alone, or even with friends, and what was the atmosphere like ?

Go!

Don't miss Kendrick Lamar because of the hypothetical reactions of others (honestly no one cares).

To answer your question I've been to the following outdoor events alone: The Who at Marlay Park, ACDC at the Aviva, Wireless in Finsbury Park London, Forbidden Fruit at Kilmainham, Electric Picnic last year.

At all of them I got right down the front and had a ball - at EP I managed to get high fived by a topless Grace Jones! (And at Forbidden Fruit I pulled :)).

I remember The Who gig vividly - I had two tix but a friend couldn't go. My next door neighbour's best friend is a mad Who fan and when I offered the ticket via the neighbour to come with me, he refused on the grounds that he didn't want to go to the gig with a strange woman. Needless to say everyone who was at that gig in July 07 remembers it as one of the best ever in Marlay Park.

Don't be an a$$ like that lad. Go to the show, have a few pints, take tons of pictures and have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,415 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Went a concert on my own last night

Overheard a couple behind me saying 'how sad and pathetic I was going on my own' and giving out for taking photos on my phone

I payed my money to go I can do what I want and maybe I like being on my own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

In fairness, people taking pics the whole way through a gig can get really bloody annoying for those behind you, you might have paid to be there but you are sharing a communal space.

Taking a few at the start is one thing but through a gig, that's a paddlin.

Advertisement