Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptop

• 10-03-2016 8:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I need to invest in a new laptop, my budget is €700 - €1000.
    I am thinking of this Dell, does it look like a good option for photo editing? is it a good deal? any other suggestions for my budget?
    Cheers.

Inspiron 15 - 7559

Tech Specs
    Inspiron 15 - 7559
    •Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (6M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz, 4C)
    •Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
    •16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz Memory (2x8GB)
    •1 TB SATA 2.5inch (5,400 Rpm) Hard Drive
    •128 GB Solid State Hard Drive
    •No Optical Device
    •2 GB GDDR5 Nvidia® GeForce® GTX 960M
    •Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11ac, 1x1, 2.4 & 5GHz + Bluetooth 4.0
    •LCD Back Cover - Black (Touch Screen)
    •Battery : Primary 6-cell 74W/HR(Integrated)
    •15.6 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
    •Internal Qwerty Keyboard

Price Excl. VAT:
    £648.97 Price Incl. VAT:
    £778.76

Inspiron 15 - 7559

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Hey,

The challenge with tog editing is that eventually you need it all really - good processor / ram for speed, good hard drive options for storage, quality monitor for display etc etc - particularly if you are / end up doing heavy editing (e.g. photoshop, multi-exposure panoramic stitching etc)

If you don't already have one - I'd make sure you get a seperate colour corrector (spyder elite / colormunki) so that your monitor is accurate for colour (particularly if you print).

Otherwise - would you consider a refurbished machine (whether dell / apple etc) where you might get more spec for your money?

Personally - I use a desktop (iMac) and I find the size of the monitor is one of the most critical things for editing. If you weren't wedded to a laptop - I'd suggest going desktop / monitor? If you were willing to build yourself - you would probably be able to better most of the specs above for your budget, and still leave room to upgrade the machine over the years?

D.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

D.S. wrote: »
    Hey,

The challenge with tog editing is that eventually you need it all really - good processor / ram for speed, good hard drive options for storage, quality monitor for display etc etc - particularly if you are / end up doing heavy editing (e.g. photoshop, multi-exposure panoramic stitching etc)

If you don't already have one - I'd make sure you get a seperate colour corrector (spyder elite / colormunki) so that your monitor is accurate for colour (particularly if you print).

Otherwise - would you consider a refurbished machine (whether dell / apple etc) where you might get more spec for your money?

Personally - I use a desktop (iMac) and I find the size of the monitor is one of the most critical things for editing. If you weren't wedded to a laptop - I'd suggest going desktop / monitor? If you were willing to build yourself - you would probably be able to better most of the specs above for your budget, and still leave room to upgrade the machine over the years?

D.S.

Thanks D.S.

I'd love to get a desktop but I don't really have space for one, living in an apartment.

I've no issue getting a refurbished machine, the one I linked above is actually refurbished, and my current laptop is a refurbished Dell XPS which is still going after 10 years.

Advertisement