Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy to Let 1st Yr Property Expenses - can this be spread >1yr?

Options
  • 10-03-2016 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I bought a Buy to Let in Dec'14, and a sister stayed there in for 3 months in which I renovated the place. Following that I registered it with PTRB and a family moved in. They are still in place and I hope they will be for some time.

I'm preparing my Tax return for last year. Obviously the new house (second hand) needed furnishing/renovations/white appliances/Legal/Stamp etc. expenses which all build up to about €18,000.

The rental income for the year was about €6,500. Is there any way to extend the 1st yr costs over more than the first year tax returns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You can't use expenses from before you rented in your tax return. All your renovation before renting is not considered renting expenses.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

However the expenses you mentioned are capital items not expenses so they can be written off against income over 8 years - 12.5% per year.

As Michael D said to put through as expenses when they were incurred prior to first letting is wrong - unless your sister was a tenant ie paid rent and was registered with PRTB

Advertisement