Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to put him to sleep?

• 10-03-2016 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Heartbreaking situation, my 16 year old Shizthu/Pom cross is coming to the end.

He isn't eating much, picks at a biscuit or a piece of fruit, drinks a little water.

He's very low on energy but still aware and he lifts his head to look at what's going on. He has a raft of health issues including acute kidney failure, a heart murmur and bad teeth, all of which he's on medication for.

But he simply won't eat and it's breaking our hearts to watch him get thinner and he's just not the dog I remember anymore. I have the option to force feed him but I don't think it's humane at all. I'd be keeping him around for my own sake. We think it's time we put him to sleep :(:(

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

First of all I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Most threads on here say that owners tend to wait too long before making the decision... and that they wish they'd put their pet to sleep sooner. The reason behind this is, by the time it's obvious the animal needs to be put to sleep, it's already suffering more than it should have.

You seem to know it's the right call, so do this one last act of love and kindness for your little guy and give him an easier send-off.
    Best of luck, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Heartbreaking situation, my 16 year old Shizthu/Pom cross is coming to the end.

He isn't eating much, picks at a biscuit or a piece of fruit, drinks a little water.

He's very low on energy but still aware and he lifts his head to look at what's going on. He has a raft of health issues including acute kidney failure, a heart murmur and bad teeth, all of which he's on medication for.

But he simply won't eat and it's breaking our hearts to watch him get thinner and he's just not the dog I remember anymore. I have the option to force feed him but I don't think it's humane at all. I'd be keeping him around for my own sake. We think it's time we put him to sleep :(:(

Thoughts?

The obvious. Has he been to a vet to rule out something else? More than once I've seen people post saying they were going to let their pet go, only for it to be an easily-treated infection or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    The obvious. Has he been to a vet to rule out something else? More than once I've seen people post saying they were going to let their pet go, only for it to be an easily-treated infection or something similar.

Yes, he's been to vets for weeks. He's too weak for surgery(his kidney enzyme levels are sky high) and he's been on medication for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Thats very sad.

Remember that you had a great many years with a great friend and he gave you so much joy and happiness and in return you gave him the best life a dog could have, full of love, fun, treats, safety and a warm home.

Now its time to help your friend onto the next part and to make it as easy and comfortable for him as you can. Its your responsibility to him.

Best of luck, you sound like a lovely pet owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Yes, he's been to vets for weeks. He's too weak for surgery(his kidney enzyme levels are sky high) and he's been on medication for months.

Well in that case I fear you might be right. We had to put our old boy down a year ago, and I echo what others say - if you leave it long enough to know for sure, you've left it too late :( When you have to ask, you already know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Do the best for your Pet. Best Wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

OP I had to ask my vet that same question a few weeks ago - when will I know it is time? The vet said so long as he is still eating every day the body should still be able to sustain life. If he stops eating for 2 to 3 days then it's time to give him a call. Hope that gives you a little perspective on things. I know exactly what you mean when you say they are not the same dog anymore. It is a very tough time. Wishing you and your dog all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Have a look at the links on this page, and the discussion of this issue. I know, it's an odd title, but read it anyway. This is a hard question to ask yourself, and I'm sorry you're going through this.

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2015/11/24/how-to-talk-to-your-gynecologist-about-euthanasia/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Thanks for all the well wishes. The little angel went to sleep at around 6 today. All the family were around him and he went peacefully. Im beyond heartbroken, he meant the absolute world to me but it had to be done.

Devastated :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

What an adorable little monkey and what a great life he must have had, to be loved until the end.

My condolences.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

What a sweet face. He looks like such a clever chap.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Oh OP. What a little beauty. I dread when that day arrives for my dogs.

Condolences. X

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sincere condolences, very hard decision to make.

RIP little furbaby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Moneymaker you did the right thing. What a sweet Angel. Your little Angel knew it was time. I have been through it and my heart goes out to you.

Advertisement