Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick's Hill dangerous crossing

Options
  • 10-03-2016 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Is anyone aware of any plan to put traffic lights at the cross on Patrick's Hill/ Patrick's Place?

There are a number of schools on the hill and every morning/evening, it is chaos walking up the hill, there is no pedestrian crossing or lights and cars/people move in all directions. I see near crashes and pedestrians hits every week at this stage. There is even a school bus that stops for St. Angela's college in the morning and blocks the road and cars start going around it on the wrong side of the road.

I emailed the council to ask but no-one replied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Casillas wrote: »
    Is anyone aware of any plan to put traffic lights at the cross on Patrick's Hill/ Patrick's Place?

There are a number of schools on the hill and every morning/evening, it is chaos walking up the hill, there is no pedestrian crossing or lights and cars/people move in all directions. I see near crashes and pedestrians hits every week at this stage. There is even a school bus that stops for St. Angela's college in the morning and blocks the road and cars start going around it on the wrong side of the road.

You're pretty much wasting your time sending them email, I did the same about the lights at Turners Cross not allowing cars to go straight on until they also have a green light to turn right but never heard anything back & that was 9 months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

They can't even fix the broken light on Patrick's bridge,been broke for years.Also a lot of road markings around worn away.Another thing,the traffic coming up Albert road in the evenings is chaos,the lights staying red for ever.The list is endless.

I convinced they're playing computer games all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

You would wonder at times what the roads department of the council actually do half the time. The Douglas road has gone to pot, takes about 4/5 swerves just between Douglas and Turners Cross to avoid pot holes and missing tarmac, the massive gaping pot holes at the pedestrian crossings on College road took over a year to sort and theres countless other areas around the city that you'll find neglected road surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

CianDon wrote: »
    You would wonder at times what the roads department of the council actually do half the time. The Douglas road has gone to pot, takes about 4/5 swerves just between Douglas and Turners Cross to avoid pot holes and missing tarmac, the massive gaping pot holes at the pedestrian crossings on College road took over a year to sort and theres countless other areas around the city that you'll find neglected road surfaces.

Funding issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I find fixmyarea/fixmystreet.ie pretty good, might have been a coincidence but some things I reported were fixed pretty soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

I don't think I'd want to see lights there - it runs smoothly any time I've been through that junction. Usually new lights just back things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

shnaek wrote: »
    I don't think I'd want to see lights there - it runs smoothly any time I've been through that junction. Usually new lights just back things up.

I go through that junction regularly too and I don't see an issue with it.
    OP, as opposed to near crashes and pedestrian hits, have you seen actual crashes at this junction.

Of course, it being an area with several schools, there are issues with ignorant drivers dropping and collecting kids causing obstructions at certain times but I don't see traffic lights helping that.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

I go through that junction regularly too and I don't see an issue with it.
    OP, as opposed to near crashes and pedestrian hits, have you seen actual crashes at this junction.

Of course, it being an area with several schools, there are issues with ignorant drivers dropping and collecting kids causing obstructions at certain times but I don't see traffic lights helping that.

Well I live on the hill and walk down for work every morning and home every evening, and it's dangerous trying to cross there.

There's no mind given to the heavy pedestrian flow on the hill, it's just a constant stream of cars.

Saying I see no problem with it in a car is fine, but when there are 8 schools on the hill, it's only a matter of time before someone or even myself gets hurt. But sure we wouldn't want to inconvenience someone driving with a red light for pedestrian safety would we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

But sure we wouldn't want to inconvenience someone driving with a red light for pedestrian safety would we?
    beer rev wasn't saying that.
    Can we make a similar accusation towards you? That because you live on the hill you just want pedestrian lights because the cars (which currently have right of way) are an inconvenience for you rather than any interest in safety?

Have you got any actual data to backup your suspicions? I'm not saying there isn't a need or a requirement for lights, as I don't travel that route during those times. But two other contributors who do use that route have disagreed with your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well I live on the hill and walk down for work every morning and home every evening, and it's dangerous trying to cross there.

There's no mind given to the heavy pedestrian flow on the hill, it's just a constant stream of cars.

Saying I see no problem with it in a car is fine, but when there are 8 schools on the hill, it's only a matter of time before someone or even myself gets hurt. But sure we wouldn't want to inconvenience someone driving with a red light for pedestrian safety would we?

I also regularly walk through that junction. I live nearby and I walk a lot. As a pedestrian and as a motorist, I see no problem with that junction. The only problem I see is with people stopping their cars where they shouldn't.
    I also have a niece in school in the area and have never heard of any incidents from her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Its a tiny crossroads not the M50. How could you possibly put lights there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

There's no way you could put lights there. All it needs is people need to be aware of their surroundings both Pedestrian and drivers. Buses pulling in at the school on Wellington road, or yummy mummies double parking along by 96fm is what really causes the chaos up there.

Advertisement