Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lanzarote Route

Options
  • 10-03-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi

I am going to Lanzarote on the 1st of April, staying in Playa Blanca. Would like to get out for a spin on one of the days.

Could anyone recommend were in Playa Blanca I could rent a good road bike.

Also I have a Garmin edge 25 and done up the below route. Would this be a good route to do:

1. Am I going the right way(heard the wind can be bad so be nice to have head wind at start)

2. Would the weather be ok for shorts and short sleeve top

3. Would I be better to rent a Garmin there and if so would they have per set routes on this

4. Would I be better to just join a group and do a route?

Route : start Playa Blanca to Puerto del Carmen to Tinajo to Yaiza back to Playa Blanca. 90 km in total

Connect link https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/11792821

Thanks

Delboy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

1) From Playa Blanca, you'll probably have a decent tailish wind on your way home, however, if you start via Femes you'll have a very tough climb into Femes.
    It's one of the toughest on the island. It's less onerous in the opposite direction.

2) Shorts and short sleeve jersey will be perfect.

I can't advise on 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you're on a road bike that won't work. Some of the route is very off road. Some of your route might also be tecnically banned for bikes (in the national parks). Having said that, the bits where that apply are very nice off road trails! You need to stay on LZ702 approaching Femes. That's a good climb on the road. LZ67 is my favourite road stretch on the island. Good call riding in that area. I would suggest avoiding going near Puerto Del Carmen (busy trafficed roads), but instead head further north towards LZ30 and LZ10. LZ10 beyond Teguise is a classic climb with greener scenery than the southern end.

I hired from Papagayo bikes in Playa Blanca. They were good. Accomodated switching from MTB to road bikes for us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I was there recently. Use Google street view to help get an idea for what's a real road and what isn't. Some of those you have selected are dirt roads.

Head out towards el golfo first would be my advice. It's quite stunning. Go through the national park and then head down to La Santa and over to Soo, and then work your way back through the middle of the island and finish by going over Femes.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

smurphy29 has it right...
    smurphy29 wrote: »
    Head out towards el golfo first would be my advice. It's quite stunning. Go through the national park and then head down to La Santa and over to Soo, and then work your way back through the middle of the island and finish by going over Femes.

The road from Yaiza to Tinajo through the national park is pretty cycle friendly, as are most of the main roads away from the east side of the island. Descent from Femes to Playa Blanca is a great finish to a ride, once you're off the steep bit at the start and past the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

smurphy29 has it right...

The road from Yaiza to Tinajo through the national park is pretty cycle friendly, as are most of the main roads away from the east side of the island. Descent from Femes to Playa Blanca is a great finish to a ride, once you're off the steep bit at the start and past the roundabout.

Not much shelter on it if the wind is blowing in its normal direction,

10537790953_809ded8104_b.jpgPA280605 by John O'Loughlin, on Flickr

but an absolute blast coming back the other way, I hit my all time top speed there, after coming down past the volcano.

OP, your updated route looks good to me but I'd take the LZ67 back to Yazia, then go round to Femes and home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Hi

Thanks all for the advice, I have changed my route about a bit would this one work? Would u say I am going the right way?

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/11792821

Not on a road bike! La Degollada is a dead end for road bikes. It's quite challenging from there to the LZ-703 by MTB, and probably nice bike carry in the other direction, MTB or otherwise. So stick to the LZ-702 via Femes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Enduro wrote: »
    Not on a road bike! La Degollada is a dead end for road bikes. It's quite challenging from there to the LZ-703 by MTB, and probably nice bike carry in the other direction, MTB or otherwise. So stick to the LZ-702 via Femes instead.

Thanks, updated now, so is the rest all good

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/11792821

Yup, that should work.

For future reference, opencyclemap is a good resource for finding tracks and paths, and as a result is also a good resource for knowing what to avoid on a road bike (No dashed lines for a road bike). Here is a Lanzarote zoom.

One more hint. In case you haven't noticed already. LZ-2 out of playa blanca is the main road, but there is a parallel old road LZ-701 right beside it which is much less hassle to cycle on. You don't have to use the main road at all if you go through Yaiza village rather than around it (nice cycling again). The only time you use it on your route is mile 10-10 and 37-38 on your route, and as it happens its a nice fast downhill stretch there which is out of the way nice and quickly. You probably won't have to pedal from mile 42 to the finish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Roy in Rent a bike lanzarotte. In the harbour. Playa blanca. Roy is top man. Knows his stuff and the island. Dolan bikes well set up. Look him up on Facebook. He will give you route advise. Used his services loads of times. Great man for a chat. That climb to femmes is a tough one alright with a sting in the tail. Great views back down with a nice photo opportunity on the big veranda when you turn left after you crest.

I personally would do my own thing. I prefer to get out early and stop where I want to.if you have Strava then explore routes before you go. Nice route linked earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For those that have rented bikes in Playa Blanca, do you know if it was possible to also rent cycling shoes as well in any of the rental shops?

I'll be in Playa Blanca next week and I'm considering renting a bike for a day or two. I'll be travelling fairly light so I won't be bringing my cycling shoes, just shorts and a jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just back from Lanzarote - loved it, when I got the chance to get out.

Rented from Revolution Bicycles (https://revolutionlanzarote.com/) - great service and they'll rent pedals, but it might be worth dropping them a line to see if they'll rent shoes.

They also deliver and pick up all over the island.

Advertisement