Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare

Options
  • 10-03-2016 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I manage 3 sites with VMware 5.5 installed in each site, About 10 VM's per site (2 hosts, external storage, VMotion)
    I am from a microsoft background so I would like to get some more VMWare skills , the company I work for are paying for me to do this course:
    VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]
    http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=60901

It looks like a good course to start off with, I am interested in doing an exam after it to get some vmware certification.
    Is the " vSphere 6 Foundations Exam" my first / only option ?

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There are options past the VCP-DCV, its the second of 3 levels and one of 4 tracks.

But I'm pretty sure that in order to do a VMWARE exam you have to have class credit first. So you have to attend the training before doing the exam.

https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=88888&ui=www_cert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

But I'm pretty sure that in order to do a VMWARE exam you have to have class credit first. So you have to attend the training before doing the exam.

You have to complete both the course and the exam to receive the accreditation, but you can do them in any order.

OP, out of curiosity, where are you doing the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

PHF in Galway - any good?

jamesd wrote: »

Hadn't heard of them to be honest. They don't seem to be listed as an official VMware training partner.

If a place isn't authorized, they can give you the training but vmware wouldn't recognise it as a credit towards the cert. With that said, PHF could easily be authorized - I'm not sure how up-to-date vmwares training portal is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I think you mean PFH

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jamesd wrote: »

Do you mean Pfh?

Sorry yes - typo on the phone - yes PFH

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Is that the very expensive course - nearly 5 or 6K ?

I'd be interested in reading a review of it to be honest

2600 for 5 days.

Is there a cert for the first exam - vSphere 6 Foundations Exam ? Or is just a small exam and not worth putting on a cv ?

im hoping to get knowledge on troubleshooting VMware issues as right now I'm happy with setting it up but would like to understand it better.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Is that the very expensive course - nearly 5 or 6K ?

I'd be interested in reading a review of it to be honest

Its very boring if you have been working with VMware at all. Mostly covers what you would already know from a couple of hours of setting up a environment and some googling. The later ones get more interesting .

• Advertisement

Suppose it's a start for me on then VMware route. I watched the first site VMware being setup and then I did the other 2 myself. I've setup 30 vm's and done a little bit of cloning and migration but nothing else much in the VMware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

stanly community college in the US offers this course for €180... 8 weeks, and you get 70% off the exam, and license keys (1 year) for workstation 12 and the other vmware products....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Their course description has "The course is based on ESXi 5.5, and vCenter Server 5.1." Latest courses are for V6...but thanks for post.
    mada999 wrote: »
    stanly community college in the US offers this course for €180... 8 weeks, and you get 70% off the exam, and license keys (1 year) for workstation 12 and the other vmware products....

coxy123 wrote: »
    Their course description has "The course is based on ESXi 5.5, and vCenter Server 5.1." Latest courses are for V6...but thanks for post.

For what it's worth, when I contacted them back in January about it, they said:
    We are currently teaching the 5.5 version of the VMware curriculum. We will move to 6.0 sometime in 2016, but the exact date has not yet been set.

So it might be worth giving them a shout now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

coxy123 wrote: »

Have a look around the other community colleges, i'd say there will be V6 courses... hopefully i can move on to the v6 exam once i pass the VCP 5.5 in June

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

could i do this course without any hands on experience with vmware bar playing with a few vms on my home pc?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

irishgeo wrote: »
    could i do this course without any hands on experience with vmware bar playing with a few vms on my home pc?

Yep, there's no reason why you couldn't. In regards to running it on your own PC, to properly simulate an environment, all you need is to run ESXi inside of workstation. You can then deploy the vCenter Appliance to manage your hosts.

Really it comes down to having a fairly modern CPU (last 4 or 5 years) for nested virtualization and just plenty of ram.

The labs on these courses are pretty straight forward. i.e you start with the very basics, so very little experience is required.

i am on the waiting list for the stanley college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Anyone that's done the Stanley course, what address did you put down when signing up? An American one or your Irish address?

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone that's done the Stanley course, what address did you put down when signing up? An American one or your Irish address?

i could do with some info as well on this.

my secondary/high school name is an irish name. are the yanks going to know what i am talking about.:D

• Advertisement

They don't care, put whatever you want on it.

I'm in. Starting in June.

What books do you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

What books do you need.

How is the course structered? Is it Learn in your own time online or are there set times?

I might be interested in it myself, seems I work in IT and virtualisation is certainly the future.

How is the course structered? Is it Learn in your own time online or are there set times?

I might be interested in it myself, seems I work in IT and virtualisation is certainly the future.

From what I have read so far it's learn on your own time online but you have to reach points at a certain time to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would this course be a good start for someone looking to get into IT but has no real experience besides an office job with a lot of Sharepoint and Macola? I have messed around with virtual machines in the past.

What books do you need.
    Have you gotten an email yet requesting payment and with details of books etc?
    It was meant to be sent the other day I thought??

zefer wrote: »
    Have you gotten an email yet requesting payment and with details of books etc?
    It was meant to be sent the other day I thought??
    email to be sent today with payment due by 25th of may.

Update: The email arrived today

I don't see the point in getting a book for this, the course work they provide is more then enough to pass the exam.

anyone manage to sign up , i keep getting this page cant be reached when trying the link in the email.The link from the main website doesnt work either.

https://ss-prod.stanly.edu:8173/student

• Advertisement

anyone manage to sign up , i keep getting this page cant be reached when trying the link in the email.The link from the main website doesnt work either.

https://ss-prod.stanly.edu:8173/student

worked fine for me with username/password provided by stanley in an email

Advertisement