Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get cheap "caviar"

Options
  • 10-03-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

i.e. lumpfish/capelin, rather than beluga/sevruga.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

M&S in blackrock were selling small tins at their deli counter for €60, but i dont know what type.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I would guess that is real caviar, not what I'm after. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Check with places that sell sushi making stuff; different kinds of fish roe are often used in sushi. I had access to a large Asian food place when I lived in the US. Here in Sligo, not so much :) But I'd order online if I needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lidl stock cod roe from time to time if that's any use.

Ah cod roe - that's another kettle of fish obscurantism*

Preciate you guys help, I should have been more explicit - I'm looking for lumpfish or capelin roe.
    Salted according to "On Food and Cooking@HaroldMcGee, Ch4".
    Same product that results in pre-christmas tabloid frenzy about who does best mock caviar - surely someone is stocking this?

* Cod roe, it's very seasonal. Protein / price crazy value. But persuading the rest of my family ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I didn't know anything about caviar but Ikea used to have cheap stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Lidl sell capelin caviar for about 3 quid
    also have salmon caviar

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Lidl sell capelin caviar for about 3 quid
    also have salmon caviar

Not an expert in any kind of Caviar-But the Lidl salmon was excellent-Brought 8 jars to the family in Ukraine last week and they adored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

Lidl

Will keep an eye on lidl -I had the salmon but wasn't that impressed (pretty but bland).

Stocked up in France, lumpfish @ 3e/100g, though the won't be there again for a while

• Advertisement
Advertisement