Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddys day bank holiday

Options
  • 10-03-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work part time weekend in a shop doing deli and floor. I have been there a year
    and a half but recently I'm starting to get fed up at our mistreatment and the disrespect
    that our boss seems to think its ok to give us. Anyway, next week I am rostered on for paddys day and the day after that and then the normal weekend. My question is because I have worked say 13 hours a week at minium every week for the 5 weeks up to the bank holiday this means I have done 40 hours therefore I am entitled to extra pay or a day in lieus paid holiday amn't I??

Im getting fed up of working all of the bank holidays and every sunday etc without every receiving a cent extra so before I challenge him on the lack of bank holiday pay I just want to make sure Im right in what Im saying..thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What does your contract say?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

paddysday wrote: »
    I work part time weekend in a shop doing deli and floor. I have been there a year
    and a half but recently I'm starting to get fed up at our mistreatment and the disrespect
    that our boss seems to think its ok to give us. Anyway, next week I am rostered on for paddys day and the day after that and then the normal weekend. My question is because I have worked say 13 hours a week at minium every week for the 5 weeks up to the bank holiday this means I have done 40 hours therefore I am entitled to extra pay or a day in lieus paid holiday amn't I??

Im getting fed up of working all of the bank holidays and every sunday etc without every receiving a cent extra so before I challenge him on the lack of bank holiday pay I just want to make sure Im right in what Im saying..thanks for reading

You're not entitled to extra pay by default on a sunday.

For bank holidays all the info you need is at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Stheno wrote: »
    You're not entitled to extra pay by default on a sunday.

For bank holidays all the info you need is at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

"Sunday working

If you do Sunday work your entitlement to extra pay may be agreed between you and your employer. Under the Organisation of Working Time Act, if there is no agreement about your pay, your employer must give you one or more of the following for Sunday working:

A reasonable allowance
    A reasonable pay increase
    Reasonable paid time off work

What is reasonable depends on all the circumstances. It is a matter for negotiation between you and your employer and, where applicable, your trade union. Some guidance may be obtained by referring, where possible, to an agreement applying to comparable employees elsewhere in similar employment.

The Workplace Relations Commission has a Code of Practice for Sunday working in the Retail Trade."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

I work part time weekend i......

Im getting fed up of working all of the bank holidays and every sunday etc ....

Time for a new job, the definition of having a weekend worker is that they work at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah i work weekends not mondays therefore why do I have to work the
    bank holiday monday? I also dont just work on saturdays and sundays I do
    other days there but mondays are a day I dont normally work ever so why
    do I need to work it without extra anything??

Also in relation to the contract question I dont have one and have never been
    given one which I have said to the boss already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah i work weekends not mondays therefore why do I have to work the
    bank holiday monday? I also dont just work on saturdays and sundays I do
    other days there but mondays are a day I dont normally work ever so why
    do I need to work it without extra anything??

Also in relation to the contract question I dont have one and have never been
    given one which I have said to the boss already.

So is there any reason why you can't work Mondays other than you usually don't.

Just because you don't normally work Mondays isn't a reason to expect something extra for working one.

Your entitlement to public holidays is set out in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays. One exception is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.

Employees who qualify for public holiday benefit will be entitled to one of the following:

A paid day off on the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    The Organisation of Working Time Act provides that you may ask your employer at least 21 days before a public holiday, which of the alternatives will apply. If your employer fails to respond at least 14 days before the public holiday, you are entitled to take the actual public holiday as a paid day off.

The Organisation of Working Time (Determination of Pay For Holidays) Regulations (SI 475/1997) set out the appropriate rate of daily pay.

Part-time employees
    If you have worked for your employer at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks before the public holiday and the public holiday falls on a day you normally work you are entitled to a day's pay for the public holiday. If you are required to work that day you are entitled to an additional day's pay.

If you do not normally work on that particular day you should receive one-fifth of your weekly pay. Even if you may never be rostered to work on a public holiday you are entitled to one-fifth of your weekly pay as compensation for the public holiday.

If you do not have normal daily or weekly working hours, under SI 475/1997, an average of your day’s pay or the fifth of your weekly pay is calculated over the 13 weeks you worked before the public holiday.

In all of the above situations your employer may choose to give you paid time off instead of pay for the public holiday.

This is all you may be entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah i work weekends not mondays therefore why do I have to work the bank holiday monday?

:confused:

Paddies day is on Thursday!

Advertisement