Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to guess landlords intentions

Options
  • 10-03-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been living in a place for 4 years now. We last had a rent increase on 4/4/14 and a letter was sent to us on 4/4/16 informing us of a house inspection. That's fine, we're basically assuming a rent increase and hoping it will be affordable.

But the letting agent on behalf of the landlord was asking about installing a landline and putting in his own letterbox on the gate (so he'd have a seperate one). Does anyone have any idea why he would do those things? The relationship with the letting agent in the 4 years has been fine. There has been minimal contact and we've always paid our rent on time, no parties or anything, etc.

Cheers if anyone has any guesses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Speculation here would be without any basis. If you have questions you should direct them to the letting agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I'm sure your guesses would be along the same lines: he's either selling, or planning to move back in. Or at least he is going to be using that as his 'home address' for some purpose (I won't speculate but it's pretty obvious).

I would start looking around at places, IME there's gonna be hassle at some stage when they start treating your home like theirs. Regardless of who it belongs to, you rented it without that stuff installed, it's not being installed for you so who is it for and why? I would just ask him those things straight out, do I need to start looking for somewhere else to live?

On the other hand if you've been there 4 years he probably has to give you loads of notice to vacate so you don't need to panic. But that might depend on whether you are in Part 4 or a lease, etc. I was 3 years in part 4 and was meant to be given 110 days notice by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

Well it's odd that he is getting mail there at all after 4 years.
    Sounds like he is going to claim it's his home address for whatever reason

Ye that sounds quite possible. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You probably know this op, after 4 years you no longer have Part 4 tenancy rights, you have to be there for another 6 months before you regain them. He can evict you without reason, giving the correct notice, right up until the day before you acquire Part 4 rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Hey OP,

A lot of landlords do stuff with the addresses to get VAT back on certain purchases and for tax reasons.

The 'Lem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

blue note wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've been living in a place for 4 years now. We last had a rent increase on 4/4/14 and a letter was sent to us on 4/4/16 informing us of a house inspection. That's fine, we're basically assuming a rent increase and hoping it will be affordable.

But the letting agent on behalf of the landlord was asking about installing a landline and putting in his own letterbox on the gate (so he'd have a seperate one). Does anyone have any idea why he would do those things? The relationship with the letting agent in the 4 years has been fine. There has been minimal contact and we've always paid our rent on time, no parties or anything, etc.

Cheers if anyone has any guesses.

The highlighted bit. How have you got a letter on a date in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

davo10 wrote: »
    You probably know this op, after 4 years you no longer have Part 4 tenancy rights, you have to be there for another 6 months before you regain them. He can evict you without reason, giving the correct notice, right up until the day before you acquire Part 4 rights.

What?!

You lose your part 4 rights for 6 months every 4 years?

What?!

Part 4 ends after 4 years and a new tenancy begins and for the first 6 months of the new tenancy you don't have part 4 rights.

It's the only opportunity a LL has to ask tenants to move out unless he is selling or moving in so I don't see why you would be surprised that it exists. The LL has to have some scope to move people out every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

What?!

Just to clarify, you go into what is called a 'further part 4 tenancy', all this means is that within the first 6 months the LL can ask you to leave without giving a reason. You do NOT lose all your rights, he/she still has to give you 112 days notice to vacate if he wants you out during that first 6 months of the further part 4. After 6 months he has to give a valid reason (but there is ultimately little you can do if they lie about the valid reason so it's basically all the same)

• Advertisement
Advertisement