Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?Experimental project ?Haptic steering assist

Options
  • 10-03-2016 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey everyone, hope this doesn't break any rules of the group but I was looking to see if anyone was interested in taking a look at a project Im working on that's nearing prototype completion.

It's essentially a haptic steering kit ( embedding vibrating motors to handle bars to help direct you to a destination ) which connects to a mapping app which is essentially the brains.
    Looking to garner some discussion and valuable feedback from passionate bikers. Mainly around some design choices. May even send out some test kits to beta test ( no concrete promises on this just yet )
    I think this would be most useful for city bikers.

Anyway, reach out to me here or through message and I will invite you to the Facebook group for more.

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

You what? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

bazermc wrote: »
    You what? :)

Simply put... Handle bars that link to an app and vibrate to tell you to turn left or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

stecleary wrote: »
    Simply put... Handle bars that link to an app and vibrate to tell you to turn left or right.

So this app is on a cyclists phone I presume? The same phone on which they could install a navigation app or simply use google map/directions if they were somewhere they weren't sure of???

I would think I'd be quite safe in saying there would be zero interest in such a navigation aid. People can use their phones and secondly the vibrating handlebars require power which means having to charge them every so often....not happening me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Differentiating vibrations from General road vibrations would be challenging and competing with Garmin devices and the likes would be very tough but saying that I have taken several wrong turns even using my garmin 310 due to scale issues and multiple turns within a 200-500m distance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Differentiating vibrations from General road vibrations would be challenging and competing with Garmin devices and the likes would be very tough but saying that I have taken several wrong turns even using my garmin 310 due to scale issues and multiple turns within a 200-500m distance

those errors are down to the gps inaccuracies, gps on the phone cna suffer the same issues, and as a result this proposed system is as likely to feed you false indications as anything else.

also, having been involved in haptic technologies for mobiles for a few years, i know the issues involved, and i cannot see this being a success on a bike. why use haptics? its full of problems you have to overcome. why not just put a unit with a red led for left and a green for right, either on the handlebars or on the front of the helmet where the rider can see it. same result, much less hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you put the haptics on the saddle you might generate more enthusiasm from the majority of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

How about - Bluetooth connected cycling glasses with rudimentary head-up display?

Merrion wrote: »
    How about - Bluetooth connected cycling glasses with rudimentary head-up display?

like these?
    http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/jet/

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Come on guys. Let's give the guys some ideas. The level of R&D in this country is way too low. Who knows - the idea might be picked up by some other sector. We might all make millions out of it.
    Having said that, I agree that haptic on a bike is probably not ideal. The red/green lights, suggested above may be better. Or a beep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Or an earphone in one ear with google maps turned on your phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I notice you say you think it is suitable for city biking, does this mean you only intend to fit to flat handlebars?

I agree with previous posters that haptic feedback is not ideal for biking, because we are getting road vibrations through the handlebars constantly. If you design something with a large enough amplitude to overcome that and ensure it is not drowned out it will be irritating and it would also run down batteries quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Another thought (again not convinced that the handlebars will work with the road buzz) - but how about a wristband with a vibrate? I've been wearing a fitbit for the last couple of months - I noticed that the buzz when my phone rings is very clear - even when I'm doing things and wouldn't notice my phone itself vibrating.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

mossym wrote: »
    why not just put a unit with a red led for left and a green for right, either on the handlebars or on the front of the helmet where the rider can see it. same result, much less hassle

few of thos available already

https://www.smarthalo.bike/

http://hammerhead.io/

https://beeline.co/

http://coolpile.com/gadgets-magazine/schwinn-cyclenav-get-gps-navigation-bike

Thud wrote: »

knew it was a good idea :). given that, i don't see what a haptic version brings except more failure points and additional problems

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

knew it was a good idea :). given that, i don't see what a haptic version brings except more failure points and additional problems

+1 haptic feedback kicking in at the same time as a cross wind on a bend, instant wipe out. This just is not a good idea. To be felt over road buzz it would have to have enough feedback to be a risk.

CramCycle wrote: »
    To be felt over road buzz it would have to have enough feedback to be a risk.

agreed. also, haptic actuators tend to targeted at a small area. the bigger an area you try to get them to cover, the harder it is to get them to work effectively. there is no point having a system like this if the user misses the cue because they were in the drops rather than on the hoods.

and then the bar is a single piece, so how do you stop the left hand feeling the right hand side, which would make it very difficult to distinguish from road buzz as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

agreed. also, haptic actuators tend to targeted at a small area. the bigger an area you try to get them to cover, the harder it is to get them to work effectively. there is no point having a system like this if the user misses the cue because they were in the drops rather than on the hoods.

and then the bar is a single piece, so how do you stop the left hand feeling the right hand side, which would make it very difficult to distinguish from road buzz as you said.

ahh now you can't have it both ways. If he can't feel a top mounted vibration on the drops how can he feel it over on the other side of the bars?

It's a project that might be happier in an environment with less built in vibration - perhaps as someone already suggested two rings or bracelets mounted on the user as opposed to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Wire contacts into the bar tape on each side.

If a right turn is coming up a small shock is felt in the right hand forcing you to lift off and make a hand signal, similar for left hand. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Peterx wrote: »
    ahh now you can't have it both ways. If he can't feel a top mounted vibration on the drops how can he feel it over on the other side of the bars?

that's my point, if you make it strong enough to make it detectable whether in drops or hoods how do you stop it transmitting to the other side. and if you keep it localized then the rider hand position becomes a problem

not asking to have it both ways. pointing out that addressing one issue with haptics often causes another . was a problem with smaller items like phones, let alone handlebars

sconhome wrote: »
    Wire contacts into the bar tape on each side.

If a right turn is coming up a small shock is felt in the right hand forcing you to lift off and make a hand signal, similar for left hand. 2 birds, 1 stone.

i think you may have strayed outside what could legitimately be described as haptics though..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

What about a set of grips for dublin bikes that shock the rider when they go through a red light?

would find this much more interesting

https://speedx.com/en/pc/sf.html

would still have doubt's over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

would find this much more interesting

https://speedx.com/en/pc/sf.html

would still have doubt's over it.

Only comes in one length. Well that rules out most road bike users instantly. So much for knowing your market.

Zen0 wrote: »
    Only comes in one length. Well that rules out most road bike users instantly. So much for knowing your market.

easy enough to scale the length after they make some money i guess. launch in one size, keep costs low until you see interest level. i can't think of any reason you couldn't at least make 90, 100 and 110 mm versions of it, which should address most

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

easy enough to scale the length after they make some money i guess. launch in one size, keep costs low until you see interest level. i can't think of any reason you couldn't at least make 90, 100 and 110 mm versions of it, which should address most

That's all very well, but how would you charge it ? Lots of USB shenanigans...

PaulieC wrote: »
    That's all very well, but how would you charge it ? Lots of USB shenanigans...

same way you charge Di2? charging issue is the same for every solution in this thread

in posting the product i meant more the idea than this specific incarnation in case anyone thinks i am promoting this product.

but if you are going to have a few things needing power, lights, computer, the idea of putting a single battery into a stem and only having to charge that one thing makes a lot of sense. better than running separate charging cables for everything

Advertisement